Schools.

I like many others we have bought school uniforms (had the name sewn on them) shoes and paid for the books, some might even have paid the school fees.

It’s looking like the schools might not be opening this term meaning the kids will have grown out of their uniforms and not really used the books.

For me the kids can attend school well at my sons school anyway, the classes are all separate so the kids can be kept in bubbles/separate classrooms meaning they would not be mixing. When we were in England this is the system they used, if some one in a bubble contracted Covid the rest of all the pupils in that class self isolated.

Obviously with older kids it is more difficult to keep the kids separate when they were coming and going, with the younger kids the parents collected the kids but were not allowed in the school and had to wait outside. The starting and finishing times were staggered meaning there were no parents congregating outside the school.

Sh!t happens.  I've spent 100k on 2 kids school fees. Covid has cost thousands of Thai's their income, homes, cars etc, suicides through the roof, and you're having a moan up about a few quid spent on a uniform, and with a name sewn on no less! Me, me, me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Sh!t happens.  I've spent 100k on 2 kids school fees. Covid has cost thousands of Thai's their income, homes, cars etc, suicides through the roof, and you're having a moan up about a few quid spent on a uniform, and with a name sewn on no less! Me, me, me.

Moon up, I am not speaking as an individual, I am talking about the hundreds of thousands who have spent millions of baht they can ill afford, I can trash the uniforms etc if they are no good no problem for me.

The government are more interested in promoting hair brained schemes to attract Tourists who will not be returning in droves in the near future instead looking at the kids education, the kids of the future some who will never catch up on the education they are missing out on.

• Like 1

the kids will have grown out of their uniforms and not really used the books.

buy a uniform one size up, good for now and the future, i see many thai kids in oversized uniforms. books will be as relevant for home study as school study

from talking to children of my friends, it's the wellbeing and mental health that is more of an issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

schools are not opening this whole year. 

I can believe that, the government don’t want the kids to be educated and worldly wise as it would only give them problems, people who actually Kew what they were talking about.

There have much bigger problems than wasted money! Last year i was driver to wife and her colleague's , they tell schools how to start online teaching. We visit many schools and student place in close Laos border. Many student live in villages (up in mountain) where really dont have internet and even cellphone not work. Many village dont even have tv where they can study! Many clever kid cant even study at all! They dont have access to any kind of study "material" this covid times!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Dream on. We got two thousand baht back for each kid. Originally they said they would discount the next term…..if there is another term.

ok,maybe from school to school,university to university different.My daughter got a form to fill out and send back,no idea if we will get anything back.

3 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Isn't there a 50% refund for this term?

At least in my personal experience yes, the school finance office transferred about 55% of the term fees back to me a few days ago. In addition to that, I am told that I will receive 2000 baht around the end of this month via the school from the government for 'help with living?'. There is even more than this, a number of days worth of free cellular data for each child (also from the government via the school). I do not have any web links as evidence for this but I am thinking the benefits are for all children. 

Most grateful! 

Edited by OishiRefill
  • Thanks 1

My wife has said the school are going to contribute towards the internet cost, it makes me wonder when not everyone has fixed line internet and probably only a mobile phone to do the online schooling how parents are going to cope.

When we were in the U.K. teaching at school was ipad based, our son  was only 5 at the time. When the schools closed due to Covid they were lending iPads to parents who didn’t have one albeit some parents ‘forgot’ to return them and the school was forever chasing them up.

The online schooling in the U.K. was very intense and I some wondered if there was more than 1 child and both parents worked how they coped with online schooling.

I do believe the damage to children’s schooling currently is irreversible and some will never catch up as some parents don’t have the time to sit and do online schooling.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Additional info.

7 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

At least in my personal experience yes, the school finance office transferred about 55% of the term fees back to me a few days ago. In addition to that, I am told that I will receive 2000 baht around the end of this month via the school from the government for 'help with living?'. There is even more than this, a number of days worth of free cellular data for each child (also from the government via the school). I do not have any web links as evidence for this but I am thinking the benefits are for all children. 

Most grateful! 

I believe that the 2000 baht and the cellular data is for all children in Thailand, via the school, and originating from the government. But I realise that the percentage of the refunds of school term fees are at the discretion of each school/chain of schools. It is my opinion that parents will find out at last which of the private schools/chains of private schools are the real "for profit only" ones. I know that some of them are much more focused on making as much profit out of their customers as they can, rather than on the quality of the education. I cannot name names.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:22 PM, Johnny Mac said:

Easy tiger.

He was just asking a question.

I can see why you're upset though.  100,000 baht spent for online learning.

Hopefully you'll get some back or a discount the next term.

2 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

I believe that the 2000 baht and the cellular data is for all children in Thailand, via the school, and originating from the government. But I realise that the percentage of the refunds of school term fees are at the discretion of each school/chain of schools. It is my opinion that parents will find out at last which of the private schools/chains of private schools are the real "for profit only" ones. I know that some of them are much more focused on making as much profit out of their customers as they can, rather than on the quality of the education. I cannot name names.

We were offered 79 baht towards internet.  The speed could be no more than 2 gb.

Anyway it was some ridiculous amount for speeds that would be stuttery video at best.

Wifi is cheap and fast here fortunately.

• Like 1

Read yesterday 100 schools to open nationwide on Monday. Sort of a test bubble .. if it works the sound like Sept. school will be back in session.... is the kids uniform fit.. all good.. if not buy new one’s.. their in public school..

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Easy tiger.

He was just asking a question.

I can see why you're upset though.  100,000 baht spent for online learning.

Hopefully you'll get some back or a discount the next term.

Upset?? You obviously don't know what upset is.

Anyhow, one of them (the one that cost the most 60k) has now gone back to school.

As for a discount next term, no chance.

Edited by Johnny Mac

26 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Anyhow, one of them (the one that cost the most 60k) has now gone back to school.

As for a discount next term, no chance.

I'm surprised they let them back in school.

Must be outside of Bangkok.

28 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

You act as though your the only person in this predicament.

I know what what upset is.

I have two children that have only attended two weeks of private school.

Your anger is misguided.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Read yesterday 100 schools to open nationwide on Monday. Sort of a test bubble .. if it works the sound like Sept. school will be back in session.... is the kids uniform fit.. all good.. if not buy new one’s.. their in public school..

I said in an earlier post there no reason why the bubble system can’t be introduced in my sons school. All the pupils are in individual classes, meal times and starting and finishing times could be arranged so that the kids are not mixing in groups. If one of the pupils tested positive in a bubble that class would be isolated and the pupils would isolate at home.

The system was used when my son was in school in the U.K., the biggest problem was stopping parents from congregating at finishing time.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I said in an earlier post there no reason why the bubble system can’t be introduced in my sons school. All the pupils are in individual classes, meal times and starting and finishing times could be arranged so that the kids are not mixing in groups. If one of the pupils tested positive in a bubble that class would be isolated and the pupils would isolate at home.

The system was used when my son was in school in the U.K., the biggest problem was stopping parents from congregating at finishing time.

What i saw over here last year was just excellent,plastic dividers between individual children,very safe

for them and also they kept social distance.

After school 40 of them jammed together in the back of a pick-up.

All good of course and if you tell them how stupid that is they look at you with a surprised look

and then look away.

All good.

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

What i saw over here last year was just excellent,plastic dividers between individual children,very safe

for them and also they kept social distance.

After school 40 of them jammed together in the back of a pick-up.

All good of course and if you tell them how stupid that is they look at you with a surprised look

and then look away.

All good.

The kids can’t stay of school forever, Covid will be with us for years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The problem is that the students go home, mix with family who may be infected, and bring the infection to school. There was a scare at my school at the start of the year - one parent was will, but still had the child go to school, and mixed on the school van with kids in my class. Luckily the student was negative. I doubt any school in a dark red zone will be opening anytime soon.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

I can believe that, the government don’t want the kids to be educated and worldly wise as it would only give them problems, people who actually Kew what they were talking about.

well... its actually because of covid. Not because they dont want them educated. If you havent heard yet, there is a virus killing people and its called covid. You can google ????

18 hours ago, problemfarang said:

well... its actually because of covid. Not because they dont want them educated. If you havent heard yet, there is a virus killing people and its called covid. You can google ????

It's not killing many children, unlike some other illnesses that can be picked up at school.  Education should be a priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not killing many children, unlike some other illnesses that can be picked up at school.  Education should be a priority.

omg... did you really write this comment? i just cannot believe you said that.. seriously. Do you know that many university students are covid... do you know that many secondary students are also covid in rural areas and also in Bangkok.. I'm sure you are also not wearing mask just because you think its hot.. omg

Don't you follow social media? Dont you see how many videos are around showing kids are taking by medical stuff because they have covid... Just because they had to go to school! You know that pandemics are really dangerous?! especially where many people are gather?!

3 people i know died because they had to go work... its same for the schools or education. 

Dude... your comment is a joke and i really think its a very selfish comment.

Edited by problemfarang

24 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

omg... did you really write this comment? i just cannot believe you said that.. seriously. Do you know that many university students are covid... do you know that many secondary students are also covid in rural areas and also in Bangkok.. I'm sure you are also not wearing mask just because you think its hot.. omg

Don't you follow social media? Dont you see how many videos are around showing kids are taking by medical stuff because they have covid... Just because they had to go to school! You know that pandemics are really dangerous?! especially where many people are gather?!

3 people i know died because they had to go work... its same for the schools or education. 

Dude... your comment is a joke and i really think its a very selfish comment.

No need to be over-emotional. I'm a teacher myself, with a young child. If you're happy with schools remaining closed for many months, I would respectfully disagree. Schools are open in the UK, yet kids are mostly unvaccinated.  We have to accept the risk and learn to live with Covid. I hope Schools can re-open here soon.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No need to be over-emotional. I'm a teacher myself, with a young child. If you're happy with schools remaining closed for many months, I would respectfully disagree. Schools are open in the UK, yet kids are mostly unvaccinated.  We have to accept the risk and learn to live with Covid. I hope Schools can re-open here soon.

Yes they are back in the UK but you need to put that into perspective, only after the lockdowns ended and the majority of adults including all teachers were vaccinated, together with all vulnerable people who the children could pass the virus onto.

Additionally the condition for returning to school were stringent:

"High schools and colleges will be allowed to reopen in phases to allow for three rounds of testing. Students will then get kits so they can test themselves twice more at home. The U.K. government has distributed nearly 57 million rapid “lateral flow” test kits to schools across the country

To help children forced into online learning for months to catch up with their education, officials are considering extending school days, shortening the summer holiday or adding an extra term to the year."

"The government has confirmed twice-weekly testing using lateral flow tests will be given for free to all adults in households with primary, secondary school and college-aged children and young people, including childcare and support bubbles, to help find more Covid-19 cases and break chains of transmission."

"From 16 August 2021, children under the age of 18 years old will no longer be required to self-isolate if they are contacted by NHS Test and Trace as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

Instead, children will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace, informed they have been in close contact with a positive case and advised to take a PCR test. We would encourage all individuals to take a PCR test if advised to do so."

Don't get me wrong, I'm one for education and also have a daughter but without the vaccination levels and similar measures as UK then I'm doubtfull Thailand will reopen schools for some time, its devastating for the kids but there is nothing we can do. Terrible situation.

43 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I was not being over emotional. And my opinion stands. What you wrote or the way you wrote or the words you chose was very selfish and non-sense at all. And you are a teacher with a child. Im wondering what would you do or think if your child would get covid from someone at school. Would you blame yourself or your child for not learning living with covid OR blame the government because they opened the school..?

UK started face to face education... so? Thats their mistake. Why should we do the same mistake just because uk started it... might this be the reason why they are in the 5th place for high covid cases.. 

I agree that we need to learn living with it but like i said the way you wrote was not nice at all.

Anyway, stay safe and hope covid will end soon..

Edited by problemfarang