Vaccines?

Robin

How will be being vaccinated affect international travel?

I am due my second shot next month.  Presumably I will then get a vaccine cert? thought nothing is ever certain in Thailand.  I presume that this will be in Thai and will need to be translated for use in the rest of the world.

Will I then be free to travel about Thailand without quarantine, nd will I be allowed to visit UK without more quarantine?

probably you are getting sinovac (unless you ask them now and on the appointment to change for the AZ, because of international travel plans).

Sinovac is not accepted by the UK. So far the thai made AZ is accepted, but not an indian one - so there is a risk for siam bioscience of dropping into that same category. 

Certificates are in english.

yes, they do allow for a freer domestic travel - each province can have it's own rules. For example phuket was accepting travellers with at least one AZ, but sinovac had to be 2 shots. That was just sandbox. Now the island is locked for incomers.

If you realy need to travel internationally, do get moderna at private, from somebody, who has already payed for it, but doesn't need it anymore. Still, moderna is coming the very end of year the first batch, with follow up in 2022  

OP, if you are a British citizen traveling on a British passport you can enter the UK regardless of your vaccination status.

However you will have to sign up

to testing, tracking and be quarantined.

These requirements arise from the ‘COVID Code’ status the UK has allocated to Thailand.

No amount of vaccine certification will allow you to avoid these requirements.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robin said:

Will I then be free to travel about Thailand without quarantine, nd will I be allowed to visit UK without more quarantine?

As far as  know, the UK doesn't accept any vaccinations done in Thailand.

So when you visit the UK you will be counted as unvaccinated.

Better to wait and get your vaccine done in the UK.

I've written to AZ (yesterday), but yet to get a reply. A lot of conflicting info on this subject, so hoping they can clear it up. One poster a few days said he'd contacted Spain, Portugal, Greece, UK embassies & they'd all said Thai-made AZ is unacceptable - ie, you won't get the benefits of being "double-jabbed". If/when I get an answer from AZ will post the result. We're planning to go to Europe early-Oct., after jab #2, so really need to understand to what extent we're going to be limited. 

IMO - the writing is already on the wall. 

Entering Thailand - Sandbox quarantine ( can use the island, not just stuck in an ASQ hotel room) - the Sandbox (the term actually means ‘test’) is an experiment before potentially opening up the rest of Thailand. 

Thus: I suspect the road-map is the open Thailand up to international arrivals who are vaccinated, non vaccinated arrivals may have to quarantine or simply not be permitted entry.

Entering the Middle East (for work) - I don’t have to quarantine if I am fully vaccinated, otherwise people have to quarantine for 1 week / 10 days (depending on the country from which we entered). 

I suspect International trave to many countries which have a ‘weaker’ respect for individual rights will require proof of vaccination.

Meanwhile travel to nations which pride themselves on ‘individual rights’ will likely permit unvaccinated arrivals but request ‘home isolation’.

(Just a guess, anyway - we really do not know how the virus will evolve and our response to it particularly if variants of concern can evade vaccines etc).

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as  know, the UK doesn't accept any vaccinations done in Thailand.

So when you visit the UK you will be counted as unvaccinated.

Better to wait and get your vaccine done in the UK.

Another misleading post, you are certainly not counted as unvaccinated.

I went to a walk in centre on Friday to try and get a 2nd dose. She asked for my first dose card and I said it had been done abroad so she then asked for some letter to that effect. I said I hadn't been given anything and only had a screenshot of the app. Then came the crunch, she said it wouldn't be enough that she would need to see the app in real time. The app had been working ok before I left but when I tried it in the room before going it wouldn't open, sod's law they had done an update the day before I left. I then asked if I could have a first dose, she just shook her head and said sorry, that I would have to go and see a GP.

Back in the room I tried the update again but it wouldn't install, just hung. I then thought about installing the app on another phone and that worked ok. Now I can get into the app I will have another go first chance I get.

Public Health England have published a document on vaccination and that includes guidance for the NHS staff in respect of people who have been partially vaccinated abroad, covers all vaccines including sinovac and sputnik.

4 hours ago, georgey said:

I've written to AZ (yesterday), but yet to get a reply. A lot of conflicting info on this subject, so hoping they can clear it up. One poster a few days said he'd contacted Spain, Portugal, Greece, UK embassies & they'd all said Thai-made AZ is unacceptable - ie, you won't get the benefits of being "double-jabbed". If/when I get an answer from AZ will post the result. We're planning to go to Europe early-Oct., after jab #2, so really need to understand to what extent we're going to be limited. 

If you’re British you can enter UK.   From  Thailand it’s on Amber rules, look it up on gov.com . 

4 hours ago, georgey said:

If you’re British you can enter UK.   From  Thailand it’s on Amber rules, look it up on gov.com .  
James Teague managing director of AZ Thailand. Ask him.

I think that in the short-medium term (say 12 to 24 months out from now) we will see more ..:: consistency… in terms of what vaccines are “accepted” .. and the form, style and verbiage that the “proof” of being vaccinated, will take…

My guess is it’s going to be exactly as the newly introduced Thai Vaccine passport book (orange/black) 

In the end, it’s just not going to be practical - on a worldwide basis - to have a hodgepodge of different vaccines acceptance lists and different forms of accepted proof.  The rate of processing, error rate and such will be too high to have each and every country establish their own approved jab list and form of proof… one commonly accepted list and format will have to be created and agreed upon.

I also think that in the medium term (say 24 to 36 months out from now) we will see more and more countries make it *mandatory* to have and show your C19 vaccine at the time of travel/arrival in a foreign country … very much like how one shows their Yellow Fever Certificate/booklet when entering countries that require such.

Speaking to Thailand, (my GUESS only) is that i wouldn’t be surprised at all IF it was made mandatory to have/show proof of C19 vaccination before a new or renewed work permit is issued… while i think it might be a further stretch, i wouldn’t say it’s flatly impossible, but I could also see this same mandate imposed on certain types of visa applicants.  

i have a few friends who are not yet jabbed - by their own choice - and we’ve had animated discussions about it.. but one thing we both do agree upon is that at present, the momentum is clearly moving towards either a vaccination mandated situation and/or a situation that imposes substantial processes requirements (ie mandatory self-paid testing, masks etc) on those that aren’t/dont/won’t be jabbed but want to interact with society at large like they used to. 

50 minutes ago, new2here said:

Speaking to Thailand, (my GUESS only) is that i wouldn’t be surprised at all IF it was made mandatory to have/show proof of C19 vaccination before a new or renewed work permit is issued… while i think it might be a further stretch, i wouldn’t say it’s flatly impossible, but I could also see this same mandate imposed on certain types of visa applicants.  

It's taken a year to get 7% vaccinated.

I don't see Thailand ever bothering to finish what it started.

Another couple of years with maybe 25% vaccinated, they'll quietly give up.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Yes, thanks, I was aware of the rules for the UK (yes, I am UK citizen). But not interested on going to the UK this time, was concerned about our plans to go to mainland Europe.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

It is not so much about the rules but more to do with the people at the vaccination centres.

This morning I went to have another go at getting the vaccine at a different venue. This time they made an issue of me not still being in isolation. I explained the situation and they said they had never heard of "Test to Release", went to check and then said it was ok. Then at the check in desk woman said she didn't think they could do people from abroad, after checking said it was ok. Guy doing the vaccination was actually wearing an NHS uniform and when I got to him he said quite few get first jab abroad and didn't see why there was an issue.

I got the vaccine and left with a card stamped as having had the second dose on 15/8/21.

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Be very expensive.

Hopefully eventually people who aren't vaccinated will not be allowed to fly or even enter an airport.

Never going to happen, but I can see the rapid antigen test having a greater role.

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Never going to happen, but I can see the rapid antigen test having a greater role.

Its not if, it's when.

The Karen's of travel will have to find another way to get around.

Thats good.

Who wants to risk getting COVID-19 because someone is to selfish to get vaccinated.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 9:58 AM, MrJ2U said:

Its not if, it's when.

The Karen's of travel will have to find another way to get around.

Thats good.

Who wants to risk getting COVID-19 because someone is to selfish to get vaccinated.

You are making the assumption that everyone can be vaccinated, there will never be a blanket ban and alternative arrangements will always be in place.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are making the assumption that everyone can be vaccinated, there will never be a blanket ban and alternative arrangements will always be in place.

I'm sure.

It will be particularly difficult though and prohibitedly expensive.  

Most likely extra tests and your own seating area on the plane.

All at the unvaccinated persons expense.

Also regulations wherever you land being unvaccinated.

Saying "Its my right not to be vaccinated" won't cut it fairly soon.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand has managed to vaccinate 7% in the past year.

So how long do you think 'fairly soon' will be?

I don't know.

But eventually it will be required.

Do you think it will be required?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think COVID will be quietly forgotten .......

Same as HIV, Mad Cow, Swine Flu, Avian Flu, Sars ...........

In the wake of major disasters after time passes such events to tend to recede from memory. But if your point is that covid is fundamentally no different from these diseases because like them it eventually won't command so much attention, that's ridiculous.