Pattaya or Jomtien Beach?

Texsinbad

On 8/17/2021 at 4:13 AM, Texsinbad said:

Many thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.

Of course, I will have to wait until things reopen, but at 64, I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.  Recently divorced so couldn't come sooner.

More about my likes/wants.  I prefer American type food, and would like to be closer to those types of restaurants.  I like malls to do some shopping.

And, I absolutely love beaches, and if they got pretty women in bikinis, so much the better.

I will probably rent a scooter, but it is nice to have good restaurants, shopping, and beach within walking distance.

Thanks again.

LOL. Why decide now? Go live in both for a while. Rents are cheap enough both places, or live in an hotel.

Only you can decide which is better.

I'm sure Jomtien has plenty of McDonalds and KFC to keep Americans happy.

How about eating something related to the country you want to live in?

• Like 1

Given you say the bar scene is not a priority for you the only advantage I can think of that Pattaya has compared to Jomtien for you is Central Festival and Terminal 21 malls for your shopping and choice of American convenience food. Easy enough to go in for a day when you need your fix. The Airport Bus service in Jomtien is convenient and excellent whenever you want to go to Bangkok and at least Immigration is on your doorstep when you need to put in an appearance.

Jomtien for relaxed and easy long-term living.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Amazingly enough, none at all, at least not when I was last there 17 months ago. Just a Subway, but maybe even that’s gone now.

I’m just as guilty as the OP, my favourite Thai food was a Pizza Company Super Deluxe pan fried pizza.

Even more reason to live in Jomtien.

I prefer Jomtien.  The reasons are it is quieter than Pattaya and away from the madness.  However, Pattaya is just a short baht bus ride away if I want to go over the hill to Pattaya for some night time entertainment (pre-covid of course!) or to hit the shopping malls.  

Again, I appreciate all of the comments, and whenever I am able to, will spend time getting to know both of them.

I am old, 64, but I don't think that I act or feel old.  I like to bike, hike, and play golf three times a week.  I currently live 3 miles from Clearwater Beach (usually voted the best or one of the best beaches in America).  I ride my bike there several times a week.

From the way some people describe Jomtien Beach, it sounds like living in a Retirement Home--quite, peaceful, and so on.  I am sure that some people like that, but I want to be out and more active.  

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Texsinbad said:

From the way some people describe Jomtien Beach, it sounds like living in a Retirement Home--quite, peaceful, and so on.  I am sure that some people like that, but I want to be out and more active.  

Not at all.... I have friends who live there who lead very active lives. One is a very keen cyclist, and the flat beach promenades give him ample opportunity to get around. Go inland a few miles for lakeside rides and hills. Another has a boat and jetski.... 

I would say Jomtiem has the advantage in that respect..... 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, CygnusX1 said:

Amazingly enough, none at all, at least not when I was last there 17 months ago. Just a Subway, but maybe even that’s gone now.

I’m just as guilty as the OP, my favourite Thai food was a Pizza Company Super Deluxe pan fried pizza.

Subway is still there and open. Pizza Company has a shop on beach road. I walk down to it every Friday to get take away for dinner while watching Aussie rules footy. Not sure which soi, being a walker and all

• Like 1