How practical is an Electric motorbike?

dj230

On 8/18/2021 at 3:41 PM, possum1931 said:

If you think the restrictions and rules are unfair or unnecessary, then just don't obey them. Failing that, get a membership of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

I don't have to, I live in a house. 

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, Captain Monday said:

Go to China, gas bikes must have been banned. Thousands of Electric scooters everywhere..

Gasoline scooters are banned within the city limits of most big Chinese cities.  You can use them outside the "outer loop" in most places, outside the "inner loop" in many, but not inside the city.

Which is why most of the e-bike/scooter innovation comes out of China.  Most Chinese people still can't afford a car, but they can afford a scooter.  But gas scooters are banned in the city, so....   Their market for e-bikes and e-scooters is probably more than the rest of the world combined.  (I define e-bike as one you can pedal, and e-scooter as one with no pedals- just electric) 

Then there's e-motorcycles, which have speeds up to 160km/hr (or higher), multi-HP electric motors and high voltage, high capacity batteries, as well as high pricetags.  I've seen a few in Thailand at trade shows, but never on the road.  I'm sure they're available, though- if you can drop 300-500K baht and up.  Many multiples of the price of a comparable gas scooter.

If you use the bike round town then u have a valid point.electric car or bike.But the charging points are not there yet.Takes times so the  exhaust fumes are not that much plus on my 125 wave takes  maybe 150 baht a  week.electric  still has time to go before i get one.Does not matter what country u live in electric will happen but not yet and the problems of battery disposable and how you get the electric supply will have a effect then.

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Give me a break ! Compared to other pollutants, that caused by ICE is minuscule.

What, are you saying that all the vehicles that uses fossil fuels are unimportant to pollution? You know, it might sound small, but it starts with an electric motorbike.

1.  CO2 is plant/planet food; 

not a pollutant.

2. Petroleum is not derived from ancient biomass;

rather forms within the earth's mantel & oozes up.

????

[Titan, The Earth-sized moon of Jupiter,

has 100x more hydrocarbons than Earth.]

????

papa would like an e-bike,

or three. 

Edited by papa al

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What, are you saying that all the vehicles that uses fossil fuels are unimportant to pollution? You know, it might sound small, but it starts with an electric motorbike.

'Woke' 

much?

5 5.

• Confused 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:55 AM, bristolgeoff said:

If you use the bike round town then u have a valid point.electric car or bike.But the charging points are not there yet.Takes times so the  exhaust fumes are not that much plus on my 125 wave takes  maybe 150 baht a  week.electric  still has time to go before i get one.Does not matter what country u live in electric will happen but not yet and the problems of battery disposable and how you get the electric supply will have a effect then.

You haven't got one  ...licence ,insurance ,parking.? Pick it up in one hand? Parking ,?  batteries are removable easy to charge and cheap as . 

2 hours ago, davemos said:

You haven't got one  ...licence ,insurance ,parking.? Pick it up in one hand? Parking ,?  batteries are removable easy to charge and cheap as . 

wait do you not need insurance or a license on an e-bike?

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, Doctor Tom said:

God, how I would hate condo living, its restrictions and rules, all intended to fxxk up your life . I own one, but hardly ever use it, even for short breaks, its like being in an open prison that you have to pay for. 

Does your house have a 100 foot pool maintained for you, a fully equiped gym, a gardener, security, great sea views ?

Edited by Henryford

On 8/23/2021 at 8:34 AM, impulse said:

Then there's e-motorcycles, which have speeds up to 160km/hr (or higher), multi-HP electric motors and high voltage, high capacity batteries, as well as high pricetags.  I've seen a few in Thailand at trade shows, but never on the road.  I'm sure they're available, though- if you can drop 300-500K baht and up.  Many multiples of the price of a comparable gas scooter.

8,000bht for a 'shopping' one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/electric-bikeelectric-bicycle2-2021-i2982295083-s10938577403.html

Several of the neighbours wives have these now, just right for a trip to 7-11 and the local market. 40Km on one charge, top speed 40Km/hr.

Edited by BritManToo

It is unfortunate that the govt (in Thailand) does not make more info, propaganda for the small electric scooters. Up country, most of the motorcycle users drive daily not more than 10 - 20 km, to work and to market, easy to charge at home 2 - 3 times a week from any 220 V outlet.

And the production cost and maintenance is so cheap comparison with the classical Hondas, Yamaha... Obviously, the business of the gasoline motorcycles is still very lucrative, a long supplying chain from the production up to the end consumer.      

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Does your house have a 100 foot pool maintained for you, a fully equiped gym, a gardener, security, great sea views ?

I have some of those, 15m pool, a gardener a gym room.  My view is of hills and jungle and nobody fxxks with me.  I have the much better deal.  

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

8,000bht for a 'shopping' one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/electric-bikeelectric-bicycle2-2021-i2982295083-s10938577403.html

Several of the neighbours wives have these now, just right for a trip to 7-11 and the local market. 40Km on one charge, top speed 40Km/hr.

If wanting a full size e-scooter, all styles; fino / scoopy, wave or sporty look, then DECO has a full line.  I have one, not in photo, bit better specs, higher price, and TBO, unnecessary to buy for most.

Entry level at 36,900, inc VAT, and the 1000w model have removable batteries for the condo / apt dwellers.  Perfect for knocking around town or daily commute.

DECO line up.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If wanting a full size e-scooter, all styles; fino / scoopy, wave or sporty look, then DECO has a full line.  I have one, not in photo, bit better specs, higher price, and TBO, unnecessary to buy for most.

Entry level at 36,900, inc VAT, and the 1000w model have removable batteries for the condo / apt dwellers.  Perfect for knocking around town or daily commute.

DECO line up.jpg

So carry boy it up to your unit and plug it into the charging carrier then? Nice. May sell of my XMax and go EV MC.

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So carry boy it up to your unit and plug it into the charging carrier then? Nice. May sell of my XMax and go EV MC.

More details on DECO brand.  I have the SUSU model, and specs are fairly accurate, distance, maybe 100 kms if driving very conservative.  Rest of specs are spot on, charging 35 ish to 100% about 1.5 hrs (<2 hrs).  Use everyday, couple short trips (100 kg load), under 60 kph, and charge every 3rd day, why I wanted the larger battery, just lazy, one less thing to do.  Top speed so far 87 kph, rated 80-90.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles

DECO line up.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, dj230 said:

What restrictions? 

The condos I looked at seem pretty laid back, only real restrictions are no smoking in the room/no pets and obvious ones like you can't blast music at 3am

I prefer condos because it's a bit safer, has a gym/pool and the ones I've seen are pretty nice for the price, anything breaks and the landlord fixes 

Anything breaks the landlord fixes ? Wear and tear is what A landlord is responsible for .

Happy new year 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

More details on DECO brand.  I have the SUSU model, and specs are fairly accurate, distance, maybe 100 kms if driving very conservative.  Rest of specs are spot on, charging 35 ish to 100% about 1.5 hrs (<2 hrs).  Use everyday, couple short trips (100 kg load), under 60 kph, and charge every 3rd day, why I wanted the larger battery, just lazy, one less thing to do.  Top speed so far 87 kph, rated 80-90.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles

DECO line up.jpg

The Max 1 looks good. Swap out for my X-Max maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Max 1 looks good. Swap out for my X-Max maybe.

Actually thought about getting one myself.  Still might.  All the 2000w & 1000w models basically have the same specs, for that motor, just styling a bit different.  Sylla is OK, Super Ace, a bit more masculine, and Max 1, damn sporty for the 2000s.

Edited by KhunLA

As posted above, the cheapest is 36,900 THB

You can get a good second hand bike for 15,000 THB.

22,000 THB will buy a LOT of fuel, and no dicking around with charging.

Any maintenance on an ICE bike will be dirt cheap here. My PCX, 2013, has needed one bearing and a valve cover gasket since new.

If a Honda shop did it - maybe 3,000 THB

Gasket was 56 THB - 555