Visa Options ?

I know this subject has been done to death on here recently but the vast amount of differing postings on the subject only add to the confusion.  Anyway, I’m looking for some ideas about visa options for an October return to Thailand. 

I will give a brief background.  I am a 59 year old UK passport holder.  Since 2006 my Thai wife and myself have been spending from the end of March till first week in September at our house in UK and the other 7 months at our house in Roi Et province.  For many years I have been in Thailand on a Non O Visa based on marriage obtained each year at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet; the border being just over an hour from our house.

I left Thailand at the end of March 2020, just as the COVID restrictions were kicking in everywhere, and we decided it might be best for my wife to stay in Thailand this time.  I thought that I would be returning in September 2020 but that didn’t prove to be the case.  I am now planning on a return in mid-October to stay till the end of March 2022, so approx. 5 months.

In March 2022 I will turn 60 and my work pensions kick-in.  At this time it had always been our plan for me to go for the full marriage visa with Bht800,000 in the bank so I just need to get this next visit covered.

Options as I see them; 

A. Non O Visa from the Thai Embassy, London, which would give me 90 days in country.  But what then ?   I saw somewhere that I could get a 60 day extension but is that possible and would this require the Bht400,000 in bank ?  In my experience with this, the Non O Visa based on marriage has never needed money in a Thai bank, or at least I have never been asked for evidence of this.  Is the Bht400,000 a new requirement since COVID ?  If I am correct and could do this, 90 + 60 days, without money in bank, it would meet my needs for this year.  I also believe that I can do this at any immigration office, ie my local(ish) office in Roi Et city ?

B. Visa exempt entry (30 days ?) with 30 day extension then COVID exemptions (60 days ?) for as long as they continue. 

C. Single entry Tourist Visa (45 days till end of September then 30 days ?) from Thai Embassy, London, then COVID exemptions (60 days ?) for as long as they continue.

I would prefer Option A as the other options rely on COVID exemptions remaining and being able to keep receiving them.  Any advice all you knowledgeable folk could give would be most welcome and appreciated.

• Thanks 1

A. is possible.  No money in the bank needed.  Can be done at your local immigration office, take your wife along when you go for the extension.  And when you return for the "full marriage visa" it's 400,000, not 800,000, that would be for a retirement extension.  

• Like 2

I am highjacking this tread because I have about the same questions in my mind.

For me, I have been based in Thailand for very long time now but working abroad most of the time (in SE Asia).

I am not married (divorced actually) but live with Thai partner for than 15 years now. I also have a son from my ex-Thai wife who is leaving with me since I divorced. My son is now 22 years old.

For many years, I have been on Non O 1 year multiple entries based on my son. Very convenient for me as I was always in and out Thailand for short terms.

I stopped working in 2019, then get stuck in Thailand when the Covid started. I had my last Non O 1 year in November 2019.

In October 2020, I left for Vietnam as I had a job offer. Since I have been in Vietnam.

Now it's time for me to consider going back home in Thailand to see my family. My company is cooperative and understand the situation. They want me to keep my job here but will allow me to go back to Thailand for few months working online from there.

I got 2 shots of Vaccine here (Moderna) and actually I live in Phuket. So the Phuket sandbox seems to fit for me.

I have the minimum requirements, fully vaccinates, valid insurance 100kusd with Covid coverage certificate (Aetna 5MTHB plan).

Now, in terms of immigration: My last Non O expires. As my plan is to stay in Thailand for few months before coming back to Vietnam (well with the current situation nothing is always sure), I am considering to go for a Non O 3 months single entry to apply for 1 year extension once I am in Thailand (with re-entry permit). For the Non-O, I believe I have 2 choices:

- based on Thai child but my son is 22 years old now so not sure if it will work now.

- based on retirement as I am 53 years d now.

Financial requirements are not an issue for me.

But: we are on very strict lockdown here in HCMC for the last 2 months. Not allowed to leave house. This lockdown has been extended until 15 Sep. While on lockdown, the Thai consulate here has been closed. So no way to get a visa at this time.

So, my option is to go back to Phuket on visa exempt (French passport) but the question is how can i get proper extension once I am in Thailand without visa?

50 minutes ago, jphasia said:

So, my option is to go back to Phuket on visa exempt (French passport) but the question is how can i get proper extension once I am in Thailand without visa?

Since many offices will say you do not qualify for a extension of stay since your child is over the age of 20.  That is not correct IMO. You best option is to apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay at immigration.

You can apply for a 90 day non-o visa at immigration and then apply for the one year extension based upon retirement with a visa exempt entry.

Requirements are here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf.

If you have had the 800k baht in a Thai bank for a long time they will waive the requirement for proof it came from abroad. 

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since many offices will say you do not qualify for a extension of stay since your child is over the age of 20.  That is not correct IMO. You best option is to apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay at immigration

Ok. That was my understanding also that my son is too old to apply for extension based on Thai child. 

But do you mean that i can enter Thailand on visa exempt (30 days?) and apply there for non O 90 days and then extension (retirement)? My understanding was that i need to enter Thailand at least with a visa (tourist...) that can converted to Non O and extension in the countru.

3 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Ok. That was my understanding also that my son is too old to apply for extension based on Thai child. 

But do you mean that i can enter Thailand on visa exempt (30 days?) and apply there for non O 90 days and then extension (retirement)? My understanding was that i need to enter Thailand at least with a visa (tourist...) that can converted to Non O and extension in the countru.

A visa exempt entry will currently give you an initial 45-day permission to stay. Then, yes, you can apply for a "conversion" Non O visa at Immigration in Thailand and go from there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jphasia said:

You can do it with a 30 or 45 day visa exempt entry and if needed the 30 day extension of it.

From the info I posted earlier.

image.png.4edb81c90c8f28a1ea0b68a8082db056.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

A visa exempt entry will currently give you an initial 45-day permission to stay. Then, yes, you can apply for a "conversion" Non O visa at Immigration in Thailand and go from there.

Do you know how long the monthly deposit route needs to be seasoned for the first extension.

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do you know how long the monthly deposit route needs to be seasoned for the first extension.

I went back a few pages, monthly deposit method must show 12 months worth. Guess it's hello agent.

50 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

That depends on how long you have been in Thailand. At most immigration offices, they appreciate that it is unreasonable that you be required to show 12 months of monthly transfers if you have only been in Thailand a couple of months.

EDIT: If you can use the money in the bank option, it is clearer. For a first extension you will only be required to have the money in the bank for two months if using money in the bank.

Edited by BritTim

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That depends on how long you have been in Thailand. At most immigration offices, they appreciate that it is unreasonable that you be required to show 12 months of monthly transfers if you have only been in Thailand a couple of months.

EDIT: If you can use the money in the bank option, it is clearer. For a first extension you will only be required to have the money in the bank for two months if using money in the bank.

I have an OA extension now, my direct deposits started May-2021, when I leave and return in Nov-2021 on a visa exempt. I can get the non O here in Thailand  based on having a child for 90 days. I'll be short the 12 mos needed. Keeping 800K here in Thailand will be my last resort when an agent makes things easier for now and then do it myself the next time around.

Edited by EVENKEEL

On 8/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, BritTim said:

Sorry, i need a small clarification here:

I have usued visa exempt to enter Thailande since many many years and i believe to remember that time i was given you permission of stay for 30 days.

Do you mean that now it has change to 45 days or still 30 days but it can be extend for additional 15 days? 

Just for information, as I know it depend on the type of passport, I have a French passport.

My question is in regards to Phuket Sandbox as I believe on visa exempt, I will need a return ticket which match with my initial permission to stay date?

3 hours ago, jphasia said:

Sorry, i need a small clarification here:

I have usued visa exempt to enter Thailande since many many years and i believe to remember that time i was given you permission of stay for 30 days.

Do you mean that now it has change to 45 days or still 30 days but it can be extend for additional 15 days? 

Just for information, as I know it depend on the type of passport, I have a French passport.

My question is in regards to Phuket Sandbox as I believe on visa exempt, I will need a return ticket which match with my initial permission to stay date?

When they reintroduced visa exempt entry after the first Covid-19 wave, they added 15 days to the previous 30 days to allow for the time in quarantine. Thus, right now, you get 45 days on entry which can (as in the past) be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration.

If entering visa exempt, you will need an onward ticket anywhere out of Thailand within 45 days after entry. There are a few options: fully refundable ticket (expensive, and often slow to refund), a cheap throwaway ticket somewhere, or a "rental" ticket provided by some services that are automatically cancelled after 48-72 hours (enough time to print necessary paperwork). The last option is the cheapest, but not 100% risk free.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

When they reintroduced visa exempt entry after the first Covid-19 wave, they added 15 days to the previous 30 days to allow for the time in quarantine. Thus, right now, you get 45 days on entry which can (as in the past) be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration.

If entering visa exempt, you will need an onward ticket anywhere out of Thailand within 45 days after entry. There are a few options: fully refundable ticket (expensive, and often slow to refund), a cheap throwaway ticket somewhere, or a "rental" ticket provided by some services that are automatically cancelled after 48-72 hours (enough time to print necessary paperwork). The last option is the cheapest, but not 100% risk free.

Thanks for that. That's what I thought.

For the onward ticket, this is not really an issue for me as this is paid by my company as all expenses for this trip.

Unless the situation is much worse than now, I still planned to come back to Vietnam. The best way to reach Phuket no from Saigon is with Singapore airlines. Fortunately Singapore airlines offers tickets with change dates free of charge. I will then book a return ticket within the 45 days and change date later. Worse case, my company is willing to pay another ticket from Phuket to Vietnam if necessary. They really want me to come back here.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:36 AM, BritTim said:

Hello, correct me if I am wrong but i have seen on the recent news that visa exemption is back to 30 days? Is it extendable for another 30 days in the case?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Hello, correct me if I am wrong but i have seen on the recent news that visa exemption is back to 30 days? Is it extendable for another 30 days in the case?

Thanks

I have seen no actual confirmation that the initial permission to stay has reverted to 30 days (though I saw the same news of a prospective change that you did). Regardless of whether this change has been/will be implemented, the standard 30-day extension of a visa exempt entry will definitely remain.`

• Thanks 1