Bangkok protests: Police admit they are using more tear gas and rubber bullets - demonstration for press today

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The police in Bangkok have admitted that they are using more rubber bullets and tear gas on protesters as the unrest continued in the Thai capital Bangkok yesterday, reported INN.

A press conference with three spokesmen outlined the latest arrests, contained a denial about live round use, spoke of stop and search techniques and announced a demonstration of tear gas and rubber bullet use for the press today.

Fronting the briefing at the Metropolitan Police Bureau yesterday were RTP spokesman Maj-Gen Yingyos Thepjamnong, met spokesman Maj-Gen Piya Tawichai and deputy RTP spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen. 

Yesterday the protests centered on Ratchaprasong then in front of RTP HQ in Pathumwan where things were thrown and pink paint was put on police signs.

The crowds dispersed with some elements reforming in Din Daeng later. 

There firecrackers, ping pong explosives and stones were hurled at police.

Piya said six arrests were made, two men and four women, for emergency decree and Covid-19 breaches. 

Since July there have been 78 cases resulting in 436 people facing charges and 159 arrests. 

Piya said that pro-active policing in a wider area had been done using stop and search techniques to catch people heading for demonstration sites with weapons. 

He assured the public that the police were not using live rounds "for sure".

But he did admit that rubber bullet use and use of tear gas using an acceptable technique were on the rise.

He commented on claims that two men were shot from fire emanating from Din Daeng police station saying that it was impossible as there were things in the way.

Exactly what happened and who was responsible is under investigation.

He said that there would be a demonstration of rubber bullet and tear gas usage for the press at the Police Club at 11 am today. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A press conference with three spokesmen outlined the latest arrests, contained a denial about live round use, spoke of stop and search techniques and announced a demonstration of tear gas and rubber bullet use for the press today.

I'm sure the press does not need a demonstration. They have seen it in action on the protesters. I'm also sure that they do not want the demonstration used on them, either. 

If the old Bill's not careful, tear gas and rubber bullets will run out. Not available on Lazada either.

When I was a kid, I thought "rubber bullets" were like pencil erasers.

Later, I learned to use them, but never had to "use" them.

They're much denser than a car tyre, and they are the size of a grenade, it's a BS media term to call them "rubber bullets"  and the media should call them "baton rounds" as the users do, because that's what they are, a flying baton.

BTW: I'm all for total anarchy, burn it all down!

That will learn these complacent corrupt <deleted>.

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

They're much denser than a car tyre, and they are the size of a grenade, it's a BS media term to call them "rubber bullets"  and the media should call them "baton rounds" as the users do, because that's what they are, a flying baton.

Those aren't the ones the Thai police are using.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I posted this on another thread here, these were used during my times in Belfast back in the early 70's, lethal if not used correctly, which I don't think the bib or army here worry too much about.

20210812_165002.jpg

Have you seen pictures of the ones being used by the Thai police.

Edited by BangkokReady

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Have you seen pictures of the ones being used by the Thai police.

Yep, diddley little things, apparently the 2 pence coin fitted quite nicely if you took out the rubber one then slid it back in, hurt like hell by all accounts, especially if the edges of the coins were sharpened.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep, diddley little things, apparently the 2 pence coin fitted quite nicely if you took out the rubber one then slid it back in, hurt like hell by all accounts, especially if the edges of the coins were sharpened.

Why would the Thai Police be using 2 pence coins?

An insensitive post  by you on a serious subject!

The RTP is very violent.. today we saw a lot of teargas at Din Daeng and almost no protesters nearby... They want to show their power, but they are despised by the public... Pretending they are innocent but they are the violators.. If you are being hit you hit back.. We are not all Jesus

13 hours ago, fangless said:

Why would the Thai Police be using 2 pence coins?

An insensitive post  by you on a serious subject!

Your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired, if you look 3 or 4 posts above your rant you will see the picture I posted from my time in Northern Ireland, which is what I was referring to wrt 2 pence pieces, do try to keep up.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired, if you look 3 or 4 posts above your rant you will see the picture I posted from my time in Northern Ireland, which is what I was referring to wrt 2 pence pieces, do try to keep up.

I suggest you post more clearly.  You appeared to have moved on from Belfast rubber bullets to Thailand as you were responding to a question regarding photographs of Thai Police rubber bullets not the ones in Belfast.