Four deaths in Bangkok from Dengue fever this year - 4,878 infected - Yannawa worst area

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Dr Suksan Kittisuphakorn of the Department of Medical Services in Bangkok said that measures had been underway in a campaign to raise awareness and deal with Dengue Fever in the Thai capital.

Spraying had particularly taken place in communities near hospitals throughout the city. Areas where the mosquitoes that cause the disease breed had been surveyed. 

Trash had been cleared up in further efforts to stop the spread of the disease.

He said that symptoms can be similar to Covid-19 but temperatures are often higher. In a report by Naew Na he highlighted the differences and the wide range of symptoms of both.

This year there have been 4,878 cases of Dengue in Bangkok with four deaths reported. 

The 5 to 14 year old age group were particularly vulnerable.

Areas worst hit were Yannawa, Jon Thong and Din Daeng, in that order. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

I had Dengue Fever in January. Every joint in my body was sore , I felt like cr#p, and it took about 3 weeks to recover completely. 

Watch out for those pesky striped mosquitoes!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I had Dengue Fever in January. Every joint in my body was sore , I felt like cr#p, and it took about 3 weeks to recover completely. 

Watch out for those pesky striped mosquitoes!!

Had it twice, no picnic. I think those skeeters are also active during the daytime, unlike the malarial sort

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

If no Covid, majority here would be freaking ???? out and demanding LOCKDOWN!!! ????

Covid deniers / anti lockdown people getting less intelligent by the day

Dengue cannot be spread directly from person to person

Even if the numbers were higher a lockdown or less human contact would not do a thing. Next time if you want to make fun of covid do study a bit and find a disease that transmits from human to human.

56 minutes ago, robblok said:

Even if the numbers were higher a lockdown or less human contact would not do a thing. Next time if you want to make fun of covid do study a bit and find a disease that transmits from human to human.

Sorry, but Dengue fever is transmitted from human to human via the mosquito as the vector.  Skeptic7 did not infer it was transmitted directly from human to human. Isolating those with dengue and ensuring that mosquitos do not bite them and have the opportunity to go on to bite and infect others would in fact prevent the virus from spreading.

There are many articles on the subject available by a simple Google search: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060056/

https://www.medscape.com/answers/215840-43440/how-is-dengue-transmitted

https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/transmission/index.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

Sorry, but Dengue fever is transmitted from human to human via the mosquito as the vector.  Skeptic7 did not infer it was transmitted directly from human to human. Isolating those with dengue and ensuring that mosquitos do not bite them and have the opportunity to go on to bite and infect others would in fact prevent the virus from spreading.

There are many articles on the subject available by a simple Google search: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060056/

https://www.medscape.com/answers/215840-43440/how-is-dengue-transmitted

https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/transmission/index.html

If you advocate a lockdown for dengue like he seemed to say people would do then you don't understand the difference between the two diseases. The best thing against dengue is making sure there is no standing water around for mosqitos to breed.

https://www.breakdengue.org/toolkits/keep-dengue-away/?utm_source=googlegrant&utm_medium=ad&utm_campaign=toolkits&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAlitVkvJc9dijHH9uGVgIhghdd7IcdLsjzi2KDzkRMOeeyGN53iwOsFhoCRhAQAvD_BwE

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you advocate a lockdown for dengue like he seemed to say people would do then you don't understand the difference between the two diseases. The best thing against dengue is making sure there is no standing water around for mosqitos to breed.

https://www.breakdengue.org/toolkits/keep-dengue-away/?utm_source=googlegrant&utm_medium=ad&utm_campaign=toolkits&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAlitVkvJc9dijHH9uGVgIhghdd7IcdLsjzi2KDzkRMOeeyGN53iwOsFhoCRhAQAvD_BwE

No, of course not. A lockdown would be useless. However, isolating and protecting the sick so they don't get bit and pass it on is very important to prevent further spread.

My wife had Dengue, and was very ill for weeks last October during Covid. Her platelet counts were very low, almost needing hospitalization. I cared for her at home, and was at risk of contracting it myself if just a single mosquito bit her, and then bit me. I had to be extremely careful with window screens, blankets, mosquito nets, mosquito bug sprays, standing water, and even using deet repellents on ourselves even inside the house. Fortunately she recovered, and I did not get Dengue.

1 minute ago, Gold Star said:

No, of course not. A lockdown would be useless. However, isolating and protecting the sick so they don't get bit and pass it on is very important to prevent further spread.

My wife had Dengue, and was very ill for weeks last October during Covid. Her platelet counts were very low, almost needing hospitalization. I cared for her at home, and was at risk of contracting it myself if just a single mosquito bit her, and then bit me. I had to be extremely careful with window screens, blankets, mosquito nets, mosquito bug sprays, standing water, and even using deet repellents on ourselves even inside the house. Fortunately she recovered, and I did not get Dengue.

Yes that is how i understand it too.. so why compare dengue with a lockdown to slow the spread of covid. Its just not a valid comparison more one to make fun of the lockdown. 

That was why i made the comment nothing more nothing less. 

Dengue is best prevented and like you said once its in a house you have to be careful as the mosquitos are probably still around. But nobody would go into lockdown for this makes no sense.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

As far from a denier as can get. Just not an over-reactionist, like most here and that is the point. The overreactions round the globe are gross and inexcusable. The real pain is yet to come and it's not from Panic-19. ????

dengue numbers are low, because schools are closed and kids don't spread it through neighbourhoods.

There use to be some 70k infections and 70 deaths yearly, in the whole country.

For those living in tropics minimum 9 years (or after the first confirmed infection) there is dengvaxia for some 3k per shot at private hospitals and travel clinics.

This shot (as well as previous infections) might be also partially protecting against covid