Phuket sees over 20,000 int’l arrivals during Sandbox

webfact

059854282e439ef36cc28bbebef60585_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

PHUKET (NNT) - The island province of Phuket has now seen some 21,000 international passenger arrivals during the quarantine-free Phuket Sandbox campaign, with Singapore-Phuket flights being the most popular means of access.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has released flight statistics for Phuket International Airport from 1st July to 15th August, coinciding with the Phuket Sandbox campaign.

Citing the report from the CAAT, the Minister of Transport Saksayam Chidchob, said today that six airlines have operated 292 international flights into Phuket during the 45-day period, with the accumulated number of international arrivals being 21,545 persons.

The six airlines comprise Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, El Al Israel Airlines, and Thai Airways. The CAAT’s report indicates most international passengers to Phuket, amounting to 74% were carried on Singapore Airlines’ flights, with the majority of these travelers - 76% - originating in Singapore.

Most of the international arrivals in Phuket, numbering 21,135 persons, arrived as participants in the Phuket Sandbox campaign, with 12% of these arrivals at 2,481 persons, being Thai nationals. The remaining 410 international arrivals opted to serve quarantine at Alternative Local State Quarantine facilities, with 47 of them being returning Thai nationals.

As for domestic services, the CAAT recorded 18 domestic flights carrying 586 passengers between 5-17 August, most of whom were on flights between Phuket and U-Tapao Airport.

Planning to visit Phuket? Book your Sandbox hotel here

nnt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The numbers are actually a bit higher at 22,231. Since Sandbox began on July 1, a total of 60 Sandboxers have tested positive: 30 from the airport arrival test, 15 on the day 6 test, and 2 on the day 13 test. Source.

With only 2 out of 22,231 or 0.009% showing positive after the day 6 test (and one could argue that they were exposed in Phuket) there is zero justification for a 14 day quarantine when a 7 day quarantine would be sufficient. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

I'm living in Phuket and I'm very surprised at too how well it works. 

I have talked to complete families who are over here for a couple of weeks and are having a great time. Businesses starting to open, Patong looks more and more alive..It's definitely a boost for Phuket and many people are willing to take the risk. 

Thailand in general should open for double vaccinated people. Phuket shows it works, people want to come and they are very rarely a Covid risk for the domestic population (the opposite is probably more true). 

Yes and since the opposite is probably more true and vaccinated people can also get infected and spread the virus , it's not working .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Yes and since the opposite is probably more true and vaccinated people can also get infected and spread the virus , it's not working .

I don't follow. What is not working and why?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eibot said:

I'm living in Phuket and I'm very surprised at too how well it works. 

I have talked to complete families who are over here for a couple of weeks and are having a great time. Businesses starting to open, Patong looks more and more alive..It's definitely a boost for Phuket and many people are willing to take the risk. 

Thailand in general should open for double vaccinated people. Phuket shows it works, people want to come and they are very rarely a Covid risk for the domestic population (the opposite is probably more true). 

Yep Eibot theres more life here that's true, here and there, so I am glad of that for the Thai's, but sadly most are still suffering terribly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eibot said:

I don't follow. What is not working and why?

The phuket litterbox bubble , and why it's not working is because if vaccinated people can still infect others it will only work if the whole of phuket is fully vaccinated and that's not the case . Only 1 shot is not fully . And the whole incubation period has to be upheld . Hence the infection rate on phuket and the closing of the fishmarket yesterday to stop the spread . It is only working when 100% of the people , locals and visitors are fully vaccinated and that's just not the point . But i bet people that live on(in) phuket will say it is working because there finally is some money coming to the litterbox and they can't admit that it isn't working ofcourse that would be shamefull . 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

Myself and everyone I know is fully vaccinated here. Being vacinated doesn't mean you cannot catch it. Check Israel or the UK. Sandbox is working better than I expected. The Thai government need to realise that they need to stop counting infections on the island but rather people who are actually sick (which is barely anyone). You clearly are not on the island. What makes you say it doesn't work if you're not here?

Agree to disagree , you and everybody you know , so you know everybody on the island right . And they all have been dubble vaxxed everybody on the island . If it was working they didn't have to close that fishmarket to controle the spread . And if they only counted people that are actually sick all over the world it wouldn't be a pandemic . But that's a different story . 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yep Eibot theres more life here that's true, here and there, so I am glad of that for the Thai's, but sadly most are still suffering terribly.

I agree with you, I live in the south but when you drive around like I did last Sunday morning through Kata and Karon I have to ask who is making money because that looks deserted another couple of months and the jungle will take over

• Like 1

The statistics provided are interesting. So on average  about 500 a day arrive (not a lot). of these, most come from Singapore (not 100% clear if they are all Singapore residents), if true, then only a maximum of about 12% are not from Asia - or less than a 100 a day......

It looks like Kasikorn's estimate of 150,000 tourists for Thailand this year is based mainly on the Phuket sandbox!

8 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Agree to disagree , you and everybody you know , so you know everybody on the island right . And they all have been dubble vaxxed everybody on the island . If it was working they didn't have to close that fishmarket to controle the spread . And if they only counted people that are actually sick all over the world it wouldn't be a pandemic . But that's a different story . 

Obviously I don't know all on the island ????

They closed off the market because that's what they would have done prior to vaccinations. In certain countries where the majority is vaccinated, we don't really count the infected anymore. I mean we still count them, but don't base the restrictions on those numbers, but rather on hospitalizations. 

We just came back from a great Friday night in Patong. A little tipsy, even though officially that is not possible ????

Come see it for yourself, you won't regret it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I agree with you, I live in the south but when you drive around like I did last Sunday morning through Kata and Karon I have to ask who is making money because that looks deserted another couple of months and the jungle will take over

You had to see it mid June then. It was even worsts. Things are getting better. Better doesn't mean good... But we'll take it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eibot said:

Obviously I don't know all on the island ????

They closed off the market because that's what they would have done prior to vaccinations. In certain countries where the majority is vaccinated, we don't really count the infected anymore. I mean we still count them, but don't base the restrictions on those numbers, but rather on hospitalizations. 

We just came back from a great Friday night in Patong. A little tipsy, even though officially that is not possible ????

Come see it for yourself, you won't regret it!

A bit late don't you think if they would have done this prior to vaccinations . And i am happy that you found a way to get a little tipsy on a friday night but comming to the point , you can't say the litterbox is working just because you can get tipsy . 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

A bit late don't you think if they would have done this prior to vaccinations . And i am happy that you found a way to get a little tipsy on a friday night but comming to the point , you can't say the litterbox is working just because you can get tipsy . 

Close the markets prior to vaccinations? Not sure what you mean by that. 

The Sandbox is working for the people in it. That is the only way to measure if it works. Not to be mean, but since you have no connection with the sandbox you're opinion is not really relevant. You telling us from your computer chair miles away that the sandbox is not working is a little odd mate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eibot said:

Close the markets prior to vaccinations? Not sure what you mean by that. 

The Sandbox is working for the people in it. That is the only way to measure if it works. Not to be mean, but since you have no connection with the sandbox you're opinion is not really relevant. You telling us from your computer chair miles away that the sandbox is not working is a little odd mate. 

If you don't know what i mean by Close the markets prior to vaccinations you better look what you posted "MATE" maybe get a bit closer to your own computerscreen MATE . 

But it's ok MATE, as i said agree to disagree .

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, IamNoone88 said:

<snip>Most local business have lost their shirts, capital and savings. They have little or no funds to even contemplate starting again. This economic hangover is going to continue for another year at least. 

Which is not related at all to the sandbox.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Which is not related at all to the sandbox.

Correct. The this was early collateral damage. However, the Sandbox has not contributed to any high street economic recovery. The sandbox was created by the hotel association for the hotel association. According to my source, the hotels actually performed better under domestic tourism. If Jungceylon remains closed, that is good barometer to how business views potential arrivals. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Correct. The this was early collateral damage. However, the Sandbox has not contributed to any high street economic recovery. The sandbox was created by the hotel association for the hotel association. According to my source, the hotels actually performed better under domestic tourism. If Jungceylon remains closed, that is good barometer to how business views potential arrivals. 

It is contributing to local recovery, I know quite a few businesses that are doing more or less ok now.

But yes, other businesses were doing ok with domestic tourism. But then again, domestic tourism also brought covid back in.

But glad to see you agree that your argument while the sandbox is a failure has no connection to the sandbox.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:57 PM, ChipButty said:

I seriously doubt the jungle will take over.

I just spent the weekend in Karon (I live in Panwa area but checked into a Karon hotel for the weekend to give them some business ).

I agree shops on most streets in Kata/Karon are 95% closed.

I note thou the beach at Kata was surprisingly active .. it reminded me of typical low season numbers on a very slow day.

The very light traffic and relatively quiet beaches made it incredibly nice.  Fabulous. I do thou pity the locals as there is clearly not enough business to support them yet. Still, even the Sandbox trickle is better than none.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:01 PM, Nanaplaza666 said:

If you don't know what i mean by Close the markets prior to vaccinations you better look what you posted "MATE" maybe get a bit closer to your own computerscreen MATE . 

But it's ok MATE, as i said agree to disagree .

No, I don't. I can only think of you meaning closing all markets out of precaution, however this seems to ridiculous, that I asked you for clarification.

Yeah sure, let's disagree. Stay wherever you are and enjoy!

8 hours ago, Eibot said:

No, I don't. I can only think of you meaning closing all markets out of precaution, however this seems to ridiculous, that I asked you for clarification.

Yeah sure, let's disagree. Stay wherever you are and enjoy!

I will stay wherever i am MATE not in a litterbox . And i wasn't talking about all markets but about the news that they where closing the fishmarket in phuket to try to stop the spread . Try to look back at what you posted and you will see that you yourself said close prior to and not me . 

Obviously I don't know all on the island ????

They closed off the market because that's what they would have done prior to vaccinations

This is what you posted yourself so if you are wondering what i mean by "they closed off the market prior to vaccinations " i would stop drinking beer MATE and start to wonder if it might be time to give up thinking that the LITTERBOX sceme IS working .