Latest foreign tourist assessment: Kasikorn downgrades to just 150,000 visitors before year's end

webfact

A bit off topic, but  considering  the new   visa  regulations   coming in place, retrospectively, in Malaysia,  whereby for a retiree, a monthly income of  $9400, plus in excess of $300,000  in the bank, permanently, is     going to be  the requirement, I have little doubt the  wonders that run this circus will be looking, and considering similar legislation....    But hey, think of all those rich  Chinese and Indian  tourists  who will take  our place??? Two weeks at a time, no less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Kasikorn research thinktank has completely reassessed their predictions for the number of foreign tourists likely to visit Thailand in the remainder of this year.

3 key words... 

reassessed, predictions, likely.

Just more drivel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The country needed to look towards next year for any possible improvement in the numbers utilizing knowledge gained from experience of 2021.

With Prayut asking health agencies to have a good vaccine procurement programme in 2022 that might get of to a slow start too, especially if one of the jabs is still Sinovac.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

TAT will soon come along to correct this factual nonsense. 

Less than 6 months ago they predicted 11 million, then 8 million, 6 million tourist arrivals for 2021.

Reality is a bitch when you have a-nut-in(charge) of the worst vaccination program, in the world.

they have a vaccination program??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

Here's my two-bob's worth to supplement their data.  On a scooter ride of approximately 3klm from Pattaya Central Festival Mall to Jomtien at 1:30pm today. I counted 78 moving vehicles, including scooters.  And 48 of those were the ones I overtook (or undertook) going in my direction. The record low for the same trip was last week (Wednesday I think), when the total count was 42.

There ain't nobody here and there ain't nobody coming any time soon.

Have a look at Da Nang , Vietnam. 

Just the same. Empty streets, beaches. Everything closed and shuttered. Like an eerie ghost town. 

• Like 1

Why do we even give these people credibility? We predict this will happen, but oops, we <deleted> up, but it doesn't matter,  we'll adjust the numbers. No one will notice.

We used to punish charlatans and soothsayers and fraudsters. Now we give them the oxygen of publicity. Can't this be classified as fake news?

3 hours ago, andersonat said:

I understand that there's only a limited amount of space in a news-article/media-announcement, but I'd *really* like to learn/know how (for example) TAT forms/comes up with their predictions for tourist-numbers.  --  Does it come from polling potential Tourists in foreign-countries, does it come from questioning Tourists who are actually in Thailand, does it come from analysing flight/travel-trends from Airlines/Hotel-Booking-Companies ?

----   Do the Thai Government or the Research-Organisations ever actually publish the details upon which their calculations/predictions are based ? 

Do you really like to know? Really?

Ha, ha, they don't even know that.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

And Thailand totally killed domestic tourism, just to get 150.000 foreign arrivals in 2021. Domestic tourists would have spent many times the amount, that these foreign "tourists" will ever spend!

How was domestic tourism affected by the sandbox? I don't see foreign tourists have any advantages over locals, although after jumping through all the hoops and checks we should. 

1 minute ago, chang1 said:

How was domestic tourism affected by the sandbox? I don't see foreign tourists have any advantages over locals, although after jumping through all the hoops and checks we should. 

Domestic tourists are not allowed to travel to and from Phuket.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On top of this the country is also facing political instability that is also not conducive to promoting the kingdom as a place for international tourism. 

Reality bites deep and it bites hard.

Astute political observers have known this would be a risk for quite some time now.

Irreconcilable differences of those in power and the general population of the country. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

A bit off topic, but  considering  the new   visa  regulations   coming in place, retrospectively, in Malaysia,  whereby for a retiree, a monthly income of  $9400, plus in excess of $300,000  in the bank, permanently, is     going to be  the requirement, I have little doubt the  wonders that run this circus will be looking, and considering similar legislation....    But hey, think of all those rich  Chinese and Indian  tourists  who will take  our place??? Two weeks at a time, no less.

It's actually worse than this...

see here

https://www.expatgo.com/my/2021/08/12/shocking-new-mm2h-programme-requirements-will-disqualify-nearly-all-applicants-and-existing-visa-holders/

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

here we have a real estimate, and yes it's NOT from TAT because the TAT people are the Czars of false BS hopes, estimates and predictions/contradictions   555

on another post

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) hopes to add 500,000 Russian visitors to its 1 million international tourists this year,

Thai Tourism Sector Expects 500,000 Russian Visitors after Endorsement of Sputnik V Vaccine

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

which unfortunately are not analysed at all.

Immigration stopped publishing arrival/departure data. Obviously honesty and transparency is not a priority for a military government. 

Up untill May last year, Immigration published very detailed arrival statistics,  broken down by over 200 nationalities and every conceivable visa type.

• Like 1

Perhaps Kasikorn Think Tank, should be disbanded and given a better job. For instance. Like researching where to access vaccines. And how to distribute and administer them. Coming up with hypothetical figures is a complete nonsense and a waste of taxpayers money. So many ridiculous figures have been bandied about that I suspect people look at them and laugh. Pathetic.????

• Confused 1

Instead of trying to trickle in a few people now, they should be planning on how to reconstruct the tourist industry for a time when it is safe to have millions of tourists again.

I really don't think the hai authorities have a handle on Covid and it's effects

It's here forever

It has to be managed long term

It isn't suddenly going to stop and go away

The tourist industry can't just suddenly restart where it left off.

Many businesses will need government help to restart - or the country will be taken over by big company cartels and monopolies.

150,000 ginst 40 million is simply not a significant number - it would be a joke if it didn't involve some many livelihoods.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Domestic tourists are not allowed to travel to and from Phuket.

Is that because of foreign tourists? I thought that is a national policy that applies to all tourists. When we arrived in Phuket, Thais could go there much more easily than us. I think they only needed 1 vaccination. 

You can not compare pre sandbox to how it is now due to all the new restrictions brought in to kerb the Delta variant. 

The main reason the sandbox is failing is the excessive paperwork and testing. Then there is the problem of onward travel which is going to stop all the genuine tourists seeing rural Isaan. We managed to get there and have been given another 2 week home quarantine. Lazada is my friend so I can still get some jobs done. 

• Like 1