Narcissism?

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You can only get ripped off if you expect something in return... when I give it is in affordable amounts and I expect nothing from it... and I do not give gifts that require a future commitment,,, 

Which is why I wont help anyone anymore unless I know I get paid for it. Worked hard for nothing before. Never again.

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Opposite for me. My mother was a b itch. I helped her a lot. Saved her life. Saved her from being ruined financially. All I got was 1 thanks then she helped others who did nothing. Attacked my mrs. If she was alive today I wouldnt bother talking to her.

After she died it was only my father who did the right thing. Everyone else was up to no good.

I have heard this sort of thing from others as well... it was the females in my family who were great. 

my dad would so to speak, tell you he would pick you up at the station, not come and then brag about picking you up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have heard this sort of thing from others as well... it was the females in my family who were great. 

my dad would so to speak, tell you he would pick you up at the station, not come and then brag about picking you up

I like females for 3 things

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Which is why I wont help anyone anymore unless I know I get paid for it. Worked hard for nothing before. Never again.

There are definitely plenty of people out there wanting/willing to take advantage... it gets pretty obvious - giving requires a certain amount of thought and discretion... but there is a truth to the 'no good deed goes unpunished' adage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are definitely plenty of people out there wanting/willing to take advantage... it gets pretty obvious - giving requires a certain amount of thought and discretion... but there is a truth to the 'no good deed goes unpunished' adage

Some people are very sneaky. Females sneak around causing trouble. Especially when there are wills and,$. 

If it doubt write down what people say. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Desperation, and a spur-of-the-moment reckless decision that got out of hand faster than these two guys ever imagined that it would.

They seemed to have been "caught up in the moment".  Their excitement led to their falling from the sky for the world to see.

THE MEN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

This is a moment in history that the World will not soon forget.

Perhaps the wives and kids of these guys trying to escape won't forget either. All you saw were guys trying to escape not families.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Indeed, and I've been punished many times. I thought I should stop while I was ahead.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Perhaps the wives and kids of these guys trying to escape won't forget either. All you saw were guys trying to escape not families.

It's not black and white. Those guys might have worked for the western armies. They fear being killed for it, but I doubt their families will be.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:25 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I became a nurse to "help" others. Biggest mistake of my life apart from getting married. Years of bullying managers, abusive patients/ relatives, treated like dirt by senior nurses, and few thanks from the people I nursed. I only stayed with it because I got to travel the world with it. So few want to be nurses now that countries have to import them. The pay was better overseas too.

I feel loads better now I don't have to go and do "good" for others anymore.

PS. To those reading this, next time in hospital, please remember to say thank you to the people that actually looked after you, and it wasn't the Drs; it was the nurses and the auxiliaries. They appreciate being recognised for what they did for you.

There is NOT DOUBT that I will never forget the wonderful nurses who cared for me while in hospital.

No need to remind me.

There is not a week that goes by that I do not clearly recall and give thanks for some great nurses that saved my life.

Thank you!

Note:  All my nurses were female. However, when one is really ill and in pain, then the gender of one's nurse matters not at all.  Thank you!

On 8/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Gottfrid said:

Thanks Gamma! Nice to know we have something like a pastor or priest here. I will get back to you for my next confession.

Confession is good for the soul. 

Confession, publicly, is most meaningful. 

Be honest in your confession. 

I did not ask Monica to smoke the cigar. She did it out of love for me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One of the surest cures for narcism is to be taken into the public square and put in stocks. 

When we are pilloried in public for minor wrong thinking, then we become more tolerant of others. 

Being put in stocks helps us to improve, and to become kinder and gentler people. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends... 

I know that very few people posting here are narcissists. 

On the contrary, my inkling is that people here are pussycats, and very kind people who are ultimately caring of others. 

If this were not so, then few of us would remain here, most assuredly. 

I once mistakenly believed that the Farang Pub was a place where the dregs of the dregs came to die, just due to lack of acceptance on any other part of this great forum. 

No longer. 

No. Instead, what I believe is that people who post here are the cream of the cream. 

In fact, the least likely place you might find a narcissist is in this Pub. 

I feel so much nostalgia for the Pub, as it once was. I know that you do, as well. 

Yet, I also feel such optimism for the Pub's recent positive transformation, becoming less narcissistic in tone, and far more nurturing of new writers expressing inclusiveness, rather than exclusivity. 

We arrive here at the Pub due to our shared love of Thailand. Is this not true? 

Also, I must tell you that... Now that this forum has become a Kinder and Gentler place, I am no longer embarrassed to tell people that I love ASEAN Now. 

This forum is surely becoming BETTER, and the contributors less narcissistic. 

It is not fun to post stupid comments, in the long term. 

Eventually, contributors must grow up to become adults. 

Eventually. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, Sparktrader said:

It took me a while to realise that corporations and private companies just use you, and dispose of you when they don’t need you anymore. Some people get lucky, like early employees of Google or Facebook, who get to cash in options and be financially independent. Most people give the best years to people who don’t appreciate it. The best plan is to get off the hamster wheel early and work for yourself.

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

It took me a while to realise that corporations and private companies just use you, and dispose of you when they don’t need you anymore. Some people get lucky, like early employees of Google or Facebook, who get to cash in options and be financially independent. Most people give the best years to people who don’t appreciate it. The best plan is to get off the hamster wheel early and work for yourself.

You sound a bit like Noam Chomsky. 

Corporations are not humans. 

I am sure that most of us humans agree with what you have stated. 

The point is that you sell your life for a pittance, and become the slave to capitalism. And when it's all over, you have just too little to show for your devotion to the machine. 

All you got left... Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am. 

You work your fingers to the bone, and then finally realise that you have frittered away your precious life, working for the Man. 

You finally realise that you have unwittingly been a slave. 

And, you feel regret. 

But, now it's too late. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The point is that you sell your life for a pittance, and become the slave to capitalism. And when it's all over, you have just too little to show for your devotion to the machine. 

You work your fingers to the bone, and then finally realise that you have frittered away your precious life, working for the Man. 

And, you feel regret. 

But, now it's too late. 

Not for me it isn’t, I escaped.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There is NOT DOUBT that I will never forget the wonderful nurses who cared for me while in hospital.

No need to remind me.

There is not a week that goes by that I do not clearly recall and give thanks for some great nurses that saved my life.

Thank you!

Note:  All my nurses were female. However, when one is really ill and in pain, then the gender of one's nurse matters not at all.  Thank you!

I cared for thousands of patients, but of gratitude there was little. At most, patients might give a box of chocolates to the ward, and occasionally a card to the staff.

However, I had more to worry about than patients not saying goodbye or thank you, such as wondering how I could survive on the pittance we were paid ( I solved that by going to Saudi where they paid us something closer to what we were worth ).

If I could go back to the day I decided to become a nurse, I'd give myself a good kicking and gone to Australia to work in the mines instead.

Yes, most nurses are female because men generally have too much sense to join an occupation where they are underpaid, overworked, and treated like serfs by the people they are trying to help, never mind the bullying from senior nurses, and the incompetent management.

IMO an occupation is rated on how much we miss it after we stop doing it- I never had any regrets that I no longer do it. In fact, when I left one particular ward for good, I felt like I was escaping from Sobibor concentration camp, and lucky to get out alive ( I had recently seen the movie about the mass escape from that place, and I'd have risked the landmines to escape from that vile snake pit of horrible nurses ).

The only reason I stayed nursing was I ended up in a ward with a wonderful charge nurse, and lovely staff- zero bullying by staff. Even then, the pay was so abysmal that I evacuated to Saudi and then London, where the benefits outweighed the problems.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, you feel regret. 

But, now it's too late. 

That's the story of my working life.