U.S. Housing Prices Explosion Making Repatriation a Less Realistic Option for Many?

It's always convenient to re-post a link to a useless article when one has no answers. 

No one is scapegoating, but the idea that millions of new subsidized residents do not have significant impact on the housing market is just silly. 

Anytime the government pumps money into something, the cost goes up. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It's always convenient to re-post a link to a useless article when one has no answers. 

No one is scapegoating, but the idea that millions of new subsidized residents do not have significant impact on the housing market is just silly. 

Anytime the government pumps money into something, the cost goes up. 

Subsidized?

You guys don't quit. Obsession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

So with this I think it safe to assume you have no ideas on how to reduce housing costs or to house the homeless.  

I hadn't realized I was running for president.

Again the actual topic here is about the extraordinary difficulties of repatriating now if you aren't wealthy and / or have owned US housing.

The point was not to be yet another platform for right wingers to spout their vacuous anti poor people,  anti immigrant, pro the free market is perfect and perfectly solves all problems PROPAGANDA.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I hadn't realized I was running for president.

Again the actual topic here is about the extraordinary difficulties of repatriating now if you aren't wealthy and / or have owned US housing.

The point was not to be yet another platform for right wingers to spout their vacuous anti poor people,  anti immigrant, pro the free market is perfect and perfectly solves all problems PROPAGANDA.

So any discussion of what may be contributing to the problem, or what might be done to reduce the problem, is strictly off-topic, unless it involves yet another well-intended redistribution scheme that will only contribute to the problem. 

Got it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So any discussion of what may be contributing to the problem, or what might be done to reduce the problem, is strictly off-topic, unless it involves yet another well-intended redistribution scheme that will only contribute to the problem. 

Got it. 

If that's how you see it. If you're not interested in the actual topic here feel strongly encouraged to ignore it.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, EVENKEEL said:

The housing situation will only get worse as the unregulated influx of illegals continues. 

Not quite sure I follow that one.

I don't think the illegal is plonking down a $20k deposit on a home.

We have rental homes, but use a property management company who set the market rate. 

Two units just came up and the rent increased 30%, they rented within two days.

Here in South Dakota the illegal population you can probably count on two hands, and maybe a foot.

So, no I don't buy in to that argument

45 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't think the illegal is plonking down a $20k deposit on a home.

We have rental homes, but use a property management company who set the market rate. 

Two units just came up and the rent increased 30%, they rented within two days.

Here in South Dakota the illegal population you can probably count on two hands, and maybe a foot.

So, no I don't buy in to that argument

Don't take their scapegoat away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

You do not follow how millions of new tenants impact the housing market? 

Where do you think they live? 

I'm not blaming them, and I am not saying is the driving factor, but it certainly has an impact. 

I think the bigger factor, is more people, with more money, wanting bigger homes and or relocating. 

Building material prices have almost doubled in the last year and a half. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:02 AM, EVENKEEL said:

I don't know what you're trying to say. My reference to illegals was they will be competing with citizens for affordable housing. Supply and demand and rents increase.

And more people with construction skills will increase the supply.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/economy/construction-worker-shortage/index.html

The rent is just too darned high!

Honestly, no I didn't figure that I would be priced out of repatriation even to quite undesirable locations.

Aside from the hassle of keeping a U.S. property, maybe this might be a business opportunity to sell to future expats? Repatriation insurance. It would need to be expensive!

Housing market: National rent reaches all-time high. Why is rent so expensive? - Deseret News

National rent is over $2,000 per month for the first time in U.S. history

18 hours ago, heybruce said:

And more people with construction skills will increase the supply.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/economy/construction-worker-shortage/index.html

So rather than push wages in the construction sector up to make it more attractive, we'll just import a few million more people to help keep wages down, and overtax our resources and then demand an increase in the minimum wage to keep us in power, it's brilliant!

Anyways, weren't we led to believe they  were all women and children? No? Yeah, now they're all construction workers. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So rather than push wages in the construction sector up to make it more attractive, we'll just import a few million more people to help keep wages down, and overtax our resources and then demand an increase in the minimum wage to keep us in power, it's brilliant!

Anyways, weren't we led to believe they  were all women and children? No? Yeah, now they're all construction workers. 

This isn't a topic about migrants.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Please refer to the John Oliver video posted above to understand how limited Section 8 subsidized housing is to the people that are qualified for it.

You mean the part about people that get evicted not qualifying? 

Why does he think it's something to joke about? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You mean the part about people that get evicted not qualifying? 

Why does he think it's something to joke about? 

Not that part. 

The part that says only 1 in 4 people qualified actually receive it as the program is massively underfunded and so many landlords refuse to even participate.

Edited by Jingthing

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not that part. 

The part that says only 1 in 4 people qualified actually receive it as the program is massively underfunded and so many landlords refuse to even participate.

Did he say why it was underfunded?

Do you think that the government pumping more money into the housing market will drive prices down? 

Another really bad thing about out of control rents is that even for the people that can manage to pay those rents, too much of their money is going to rent, drying up spending to all other economic sectors such as restaurants. 

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The shortage of people with the required skills for construction has gone on for years; long enough for employers to adjust wages and trade schools to train workers attracted to the job and increased wages.  The system clearly isn't working.

People in productively employed in construction don't overtax our resources, they increase our resources.  They also make much more than the minimum wage.

Whoever led you to believe the immigrants were all women and children was feeding you BS.  You should seek better sources of information:

https://immigration.procon.org/demographics-of-immigrants-in-the-united-states-illegally/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/257783/estimated-number-of-illegal-immigrants-in-the-us-by-age-and-sex/

On the topic of not believing BS:  Florida Governor and future Presidential candidate Ron DeSantis is making a lot of noise about fighting illegal immigration in Florida.  The first source shows that Florida is one of the leading states for employing illegal immigrants.  Florida has a constant shortage of construction workers, as well as a need for lots of farm workers, hotel and restaurant workers, etc. 

In spite of the noise Gov. DeSantis is making, he has made no effort close legal loopholes that make it easy for farmers and small business people to hire illegal immigrants and I've read of no large scale raids on businesses employing illegal immigrants.  Republicans are playing both sides on this issue.

• Like 2

Historically high housing costs lead to homelessness.

No s-- Sherlock!

Why high housing costs could keep climbing | The Hill

POLICY

Why high housing costs could keep climbing

Sky-high mortgage rates and a construction slowdown could push record rents and home prices even higher, further threatening housing affordability for millions of Americans. 

Economists say that rising mortgage rates should cool down the housing market’s red-hot price appreciation in the short term but are also likely to drive up rents. New construction of houses and apartments is waning, suggesting that the nation’s meager housing supply won’t improve any time soon. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Historically high housing costs lead to homelessness.

No s-- Sherlock!

Why high housing costs could keep climbing | The Hill

Yes, all we can do is redistribute wealth and pump that money into the housing market which will drive prices down!!!

Section eight should be funded such that anyone wanting free/reduced rent should be accommodated, regardless of their rental or credit history. 

All landlords must be compelled to accept any tenant regardless of their rental or credit history. Any landlord not complying should have their property confiscated by the state and auctioned off with the proceeds used to help the victims. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, all we can do is redistribute wealth and pump that money into the housing market which will drive prices down!!!

Section eight should be funded such that anyone wanting free/reduced rent should be accommodated, regardless of their rental or credit history. 

All landlords must be compelled to accept any tenant regardless of their rental or credit history. Any landlord not complying should have their property confiscated by the state and auctioned off with the proceeds used to help the victims. 

Of course you don't believe any of that and are just here to provoke and hijack this topic towards right wing ideology.

If you don't have anything to say that is actually on topic (repatriation stymied by housing costs) perhaps just leave it alone 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Of course you don't believe any of that and are just here to provoke and hijack this topic towards right wing ideology.

If you don't have anything to say that is actually on topic (repatriation stymied by housing costs) perhaps just leave it alone 

As you're well aware of, there is no fix for this. rents are what rents are.....period. Either you can afford it or you can't. 

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

As you're well aware of, there is no fix for this. rents are what rents are.....period. Either you can afford it or you can't. 

This topic is not about fixes. Open another topic if you want to debate about policies for that.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

This topic is not about fixes. Open another topic if you want to debate about policies for that.

Soo, this is about griping and complaining about high rents and home prices. You're right, that's not for me.

Ryan General
Wed, June 22, 2022, 1:21 AM

A mayoral candidate for Oregon City revealed that he intends to use a vacant school for the homeless people in the city so they can live like “the Japanese people.”

Retired U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Maj. Leslie Wright unveiled his plan while discussing his second attempt to run for Oregon City mayor during an interview with radio talk show host Lars Larson last month.

According to Wright, he would secure permission from various local and state agencies to place the homeless in a vacant school, which he did not specify during the interview.

“Have you ever seen the Japanese people, how they live? They live in these small, compact areas,” Wright told Larson. “We’re going to take each one of those [homeless] people and put them in their own little area and give them an address.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-city-mayoral-candidate-says-182102811.html

42 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
Ryan General
Wed, June 22, 2022, 1:21 AM

A mayoral candidate for Oregon City revealed that he intends to use a vacant school for the homeless people in the city so they can live like “the Japanese people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-city-mayoral-candidate-says-182102811.html

Funny.

Well the topic here is about very high housing costs making repatriation extremely unappealing for many expats.

So.

This guy sounds like a crackpot and not likely to win.

I bet not one expat will repatriate to that town to live "Japanese" style in a tiny compartment in a converted old school that will probably never happen anyway.

Of course having an address is vital. The bigger issue is that there is very very little affordable housing including SROs being built anywhere in the US, Japanese or any other style.

The "free market" isn't building it and neither is the government.

Some might say housing is a human right but that's pie in the sky when it simply doesn't exist at an affordable price.

So repatriation for those needing affordable housing in the US translates into.a dystopian nightmare.

I wish this wasn't so but unfortunately it is so.

Edited by Jingthing