Should I be concerned and worried about my ECG results – any one else ever had an ECG .

Bill Poster

I recently attended hospital and saw a gastroenterologist about a problem I am having with regular watery soft feces ( stool ) . That problem is currently still under investigation .

The gastroenterologist had me go through several tests and one of those tests was to have an ECG.

I had forgotten all about having that ECG test until today when I checked the hospital paperwork.

When I started to look at the ECG test paper I instantly became very worried that my ECG test results don’t look that good and could mean possible future life threatening issues. 

Before having the hospital ECG my blood pressure was taken and showed .

SYS = 112

DIA = 52

Pulse = 71

Just wondering if any one else has had an ECG test and may be able to shed some light on what my ECG results could possibly mean. 

Any comments , advice or thoughts most welcome. 

I’m 72 years old , slightly overweight , no other symptoms apart from the current regular watery soft feces issue. 

Thanks .

heart1.jpg

I'm sure almost all of us have had an ECG, that is really not the issue. The issue is what do your specific results mean.

They suggest some cardiac enlargment of a type often seen when there is  valve disease, or hypertension (but sometimes occurring without those conditions).

You should see a cardiologist, and they will likely need to do an echocardigram to better understand the cause and extent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, olfu said:

...shed some light?

Change your diet.

The thought had occurred to the OP, but he soundly rejected it here:

Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet – How about you

on the grounds that the stress of dieting might shorten his life. Much less stressful, if accompanied by, say, a bowl of Birds custard--and therefore life extending--is worrying about an enlarged heart, nausea, regular watery soft feces, high cholesterol, carrying around extra fat, and chasing after docs and meds. Not an uncommon choice, with roughly predictable results.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

Changes to diet, however otherwise beneficial,  are not going to fix a valve defect nor reverse cardiomyopathy, both  possible causes of what the ECG is showing. He needs an echo and evaluation by a good cardiologist.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

The thought had occurred to the OP, but he soundly rejected it here:

Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet – How about you

on the grounds that the stress of dieting might shorten his life. Much less stressful, if accompanied by, say, a bowl of Birds custard--and therefore life extending--is worrying about an enlarged heart, nausea, regular watery soft feces, high cholesterol, carrying around extra fat, and chasing after docs and meds. Not an uncommon choice, with roughly predictable results.

I had forgotten about that post ????

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Changes to diet, however otherwise beneficial,  are not going to fix a valve defect nor reverse cardiomyopathy, both  possible causes of what the ECG is showing. He needs an echo and evaluation by a good cardiologist.

Thanks Sheryl

I am shortly returning to the Suranaree University of Technology Hospital in Korat to discuss the ECG findings . 

A few things spring to mind relating to the recent ECG .

When I underwent the ECG the person carrying out the procedure had a problem placing the ECG suction cup sensors on my chest area and the sensors kept falling off . This falling off situation was due to the fact that I have a hairy chest . The person carrying out the procedure had to call a second person to come and physically hold down the sensors while the ECG test was being performed and even then the sensors kept moving. 

Just researching the symptoms for cardiomyopathy the list includes ...

Shortness of breath or trouble breathing, especially with physical exertion.
Fatigue.
Swelling in the ankles, feet, legs, abdomen and veins in the neck.
Dizziness.
Lightheadedness.
Fainting during physical activity.
Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats)

The only symptom I have or ever had on that above list is that I feel a bit tired .

The other area talked about relating to cardiomyopathy is having high blood pressure.

For the past few years I have taken my blood pressure at home and its always been in the ‘’ Ideal ‘’ range.

I have looked at the Suranaree University of Technology Hospital in Korat web site and cannot see a cardiologist listed , so would you happen to know a cardiologist in the Korat area.

Thanks .

I can't imagine that they will not have a cardiologist.  Every hospital does.

What you describe re the ECG has nothing to do with the result.

Cardiomyopathy, and valve problems, will be asymptomatic in early stages.

Hopefully it is nto myopathy but just strain on the heart from a leaky or stenosed valve, which is treatable

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I can't imagine that they will not have a cardiologist.  Every hospital does.

What you describe re the ECG has nothing to do with the result.

Cardiomyopathy, and valve problems, will be asymptomatic in early stages.

Hopefully it is nto myopathy but just strain on the heart from a leaky or stenosed valve, which is treatable

Sherly 

As always thanks for the sound advice , its really appreciated . ????

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

True, but then there's also management thereafter, to which changes to diet very much apply:

These lifestyle changes can help you manage cardiomyopathy:

• Quit smoking.
  • Lose weight if you're overweight. Ask your doctor what a healthy weight is for you.
  • Get regular exercise, but talk to your doctor first about the safest type and amount for you.
  • Eat a healthy diet, including a variety of fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
  • Use less salt (sodium). Aim for less than 1,500 milligrams of sodium a day.
  • Avoid or drink less alcohol.
  • Try to manage your stress.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Take all your medications as directed by your doctor.
  • Go to your doctor for regular follow-up appointments.

--https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cardiomyopathy/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20370714

Manage diabetes is another. It's surprising how many people are unaware they have prediabetes.

Which principles are also preventative, if one is following them. 'Course, the OP may have an inherited condition, but most cases are not, after all.