Dutch couple rescued after being trapped near an island located three kilometers offshore while kayaking in Phuket

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Phuket – A couple of Dutch tourists from the Phuket Sandbox project were rescued by Phuket Tourist Police after being trapped three kilometers away from the shore while kayaking in Phuket today, August 22nd.

Patrol police rushed to the Tayan island in the Wichit Subdistrict after being alerted about the tourists who were caught in waves and unable to paddle back to the shore while they were kayaking at around 1:30 PM.

The couple was safely rescued and taken to their hotel.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/22/dutch-couple-rescued-after-being-trapped-near-an-island-located-three-kilometers-offshore-while-kayaking-in-phuket/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not checking the weather forecast before going out on the ocean is just stupid.

Yesterday you wouldn't have needed to check the weather forecast a blind man could see what was coming, I live in the south of the island we have been shopping on the way back just north of Chalong we stopped for some lunch around 11-30 am it went all dark and down it came, 

On the way back to Rawai the visibility was bad so how bad must have been out on the ocean? god knows

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Its not a Dutch couple but German couple.

German tourists rescued after kayak blown off Phuket

https://www.thephuketnews.com/german-tourists-rescued-after-kayak-blown-off-phuket-81150.php

Not that it makes much difference to what happened. Not a bright thing to do but not strange in my time around the islands we often to tow back canoes (when we rented a long tail boat). People often have no clue how far something is and how hard it can get.

I almost got caught out a few times too going to islands of the island i was visiting. It was often a far longer trip then expected.

But in this case they should have taken the weather in account.

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not that it makes much difference to what happened. Not a bright thing to do but not strange in my time around the islands we often to tow back canoes (when we rented a long tail boat). People often have no clue how far something is and how hard it can get.

I almost got caught out a few times too going to islands of the island i was visiting. It was often a far longer trip then expected.

But in this case they should have taken the weather in account.

Huh?  I was referring to the accuracy of reporting.  That's the standard of news reporting in Thailand.

Edited by Kopitiam
Addiotnal comments

4 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Huh?  I was referring to the accuracy of reporting.  That's the standard of news reporting in Thailand.

Ah it happens a lot for Germans and Dutch to be mixed. They will say im Deutsch sound a lot like Dutch. I am Dutch so i take notice when it happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Ah it happens a lot for Germans and Dutch to be mixed. They will say im Deutsch sound a lot like Dutch. I am Dutch so i take notice when it happens.

Yes, I agree that Deutsch and Dutch can easily be mixed up.  I am sure when a German will not say I am Deutsch when asked in English.  The usual reply is I am German.  My point is, the Pattaya newspaper must have taken the news from the Phuket News and they still cannot get it right.