Driving license expired 2 Years Ago - New Test Needed???

dsfbrit

I discovered today that my Thai wife's driving license expired nearly 2 years ago. I have read she has to take the written test again to renew it. I also read the government is / has recenly (due to Covid) already changed the law to make it 3 years the license needs to be expired before the written test has to be taken.

So a 2 year expired license can be renewed as usual.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could confirm which is correct.

Thanks very much

Thanks very much for the replies. We went to the place that just taxed my motorbike and asked them as the local DLT is closed. They were very helpful. They said she will have to take the written test again. 

They were not sure the exact period after it elapsed the test must be retaken, but it is definitely less than 2 years.

Thanks again

I was told it was 6 months at the Licensing Centre, but that was some time ago (about 5 years ago).

I would suspect there is some leeway with COVID. I had a renewal appointment on July 20th, but the office was not doing renewals any more because of COVID. They told me to try in 2 months time.

I asked about insurance (because your car is only insured if the driver has a licence).....but the said, ask your insurance company, (I didn't bother as I can't do anything about it anyway).

On 8/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, bbko said:

It seems driver license policies can vary day by day depending on who's working the desk and the customer, your best answer will come from the DLT office itself.

As a foreigner , you're smart to use " an Agent " who knows insidersin the Licensing office -- to navigate the best route for " renewal " 

the cost is very reasonable , plus .... you help employ " an Agent " ......

Edited by kg1947
spacing ...
  • Haha 1