Thailand develops robotic system to squeeze out more vaccine doses

Jonathan Fairfield

In Denmark they early in the vaccination roll out managed to manually get an extra dose out of the Pfizer/BioNTech container - actually one and half dose, if they could mix two containers with half a dose left in each - but as the agreement with Pfizer were for number of doses, not containers, Pfizer immediately delivered equivalent less containers for same price...????

What agreement do Thailand have with AZ, number of doses, or number of containers?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, David T Pike said:

Great! Now they know how to get it out of the vial efficiently. 

Now to figure out how to get it into peoples arms efficiently! ????

Since it has been possible to vaccinate more than 600,000 people in one day, the number of doses seems to be the eye of the needle...????

• Like 1

$80.000 for that machine ? They have special syringes in belgium for months already that can take 6 or even 7 shots out of a 5 shot bottle of vaccine so it would be cheaper just to buy syringes then do develope that machine , or do they think they are going to sell those machines ?? 

12 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Several thought sprung to mind when I read this Article.

The very first though was " why would a large Pharma Company give away 20 % extra with every Vial of Vaccine they sell "

The answer to that is ... They would not, the product is too valuable, and Pharma are notorious for wringing every cent from their products.

The second thought was " these Vials of vaccine are not filled by hand using a jug and funnel, they are filled on extremely accurate and calibrated Computerised Machines which will fill to a pre determined level, and accurate to within maybe about 2 % ( max overfill ) of Volume for the recommended doses of Vaccine.

Then I thought. If the Vial holds the recommended dosage for 10 Shots how do you get 12 Shots from the same volume

There are two ways essentially

The first is to " water down " the contents 

The second is to " short dose " the first 10 shots.

I think I will stay well clear of any AZ in the future if I get any choice at all.

Yep, same here

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My immediate thoughts are ;What about the temperature control of the vaccine while this process is done ?

Oh yeah, coz the people normally doing this process by hand are doing it in arctic conditions.  And when I had my jab I wondered why I needed a ski jacket and scarf.  They probably have no idea what they are doing and never thought of that - you'd better email them, you could save lives!

TVF at its finest.  "America doesn't need machines, the Thais will have copied this, they'll be doing it wrong, getting extra doses out of a vial means it won't be strong enough - no thanks" etc.  Pointless negativity.

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 9.49.36 AM.png

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh yeah, coz the people normally doing this process by hand are doing it in arctic conditions

People should be aware the vaccine is at room temperature when diluted and administered. If it was at shipping temperature you would not get it through a needle!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, khunPer said:

Since it has been possible to vaccinate more than 600,000 people in one day, the number of doses seems to be the eye of the needle...????

If that is true then at that rate they should be able to vaccinate all 45 million unvaccinated Thais in 2.5  months! 

1 hour ago, David T Pike said:

If that is true then at that rate they should be able to vaccinate all 45 million unvaccinated Thais in 2.5  months! 

It's more than true, it was 900,000+ yesterday...

National Vaccination Rollout:
???? DAY 76: 404,078 <— Saturday
???? DAY 77: 206,820 <— Sunday
???? DAY 78: 573,446
???? DAY 79: 585,214
???? DAY 80: 637,921
???? DAY 81: 669,189
???? DAY 82: 915,738 <— New High
240444583_398667771619492_4382760223874423541_n.jpg.96038588875170c8744c7127800a8874.jpg
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, khunPer said:

It's more than true, it was 900,000+ yesterday...

National Vaccination Rollout:
???? DAY 76: 404,078 <— Saturday
???? DAY 77: 206,820 <— Sunday
???? DAY 78: 573,446
???? DAY 79: 585,214
???? DAY 80: 637,921
???? DAY 81: 669,189
???? DAY 82: 915,738 <— New High
240444583_398667771619492_4382760223874423541_n.jpg.96038588875170c8744c7127800a8874.jpg

I saw that P Per! I was not doubting you. I think it is GREAT! I myself need one asap! I have 6 comorbidities and am still waiting for a jab!!!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 4:13 AM, David T Pike said:

They could but they don’t have enough supply. They are only getting around 10 million doses a month. That is why they are trying to procure different brands.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, elgenon said:

In America they are getting three doses out of two vials. By hand. No machine needed. 

What does the machine do?

Moderna has 10 doses per vial (11 actually). Pfizer has 5 doses (6-7 actually) per vial. 

The US FDA doesn’t allow mixing vials to squeeze another dose.

When you do it by hand, the measurements are not precise and you might miss out on a dose. A machine can get a precise measurement and squeeze out an extra dose. Every extra dose counts when you are short on supply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Moderna has 10 doses per vial (11 actually). Pfizer has 5 doses (6-7 actually) per vial. 

The US FDA doesn’t allow mixing vials to squeeze another dose.

When you do it by hand, the measurements are not precise and you might miss out on a dose. A machine can get a precise measurement and squeeze out an extra dose. Every extra dose counts when you are short on supply.

Thanks! Always happy to learn.

• Like 1