Expats assist Phuket Immigration services

webfact

I think it’s a great idea to have these very helpful people on the spot, I’ve seen the Volunteers on walking street and really, at least they understand what’s going on , there’s always misunderstandings where different languages are concerned. Shame there are not any in Jomtien Immigration!! There’d be much less of a queue. There is ( was?) a very helpful young guy in the outside shop, but there should be a few foreigners inside. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Good point. My understanding is that a work permit is required for any work including volunteer work

As they are working under the direct supervision of the Royal Thai Police they are exempt of the WP rule.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RobU said:

Good point. My understanding is that a work permit is required for any work including volunteer work

I think thou, one can remain on their Non-Immigration O or OA visa if doing volunteer work.  One does need to meet other critieria, such as providing appropriate documentation to immigration (passport copy, fill in some custom form, evidence of a certain amount of funds, letter from employer where one is doing volunteer work, and address where one lives).  I may have the details inexact - but I think it is something like that.  Given the Immigration volunteers are working for immigration, I suspect this is rather simple requirement for these volunteers to meet. I assume immigration then given them the appropriate (work) permit to be volunteers supporting immigration.

Edited by oldcpu