US Passport Visa extension without Visa

I read in few websites as well as here that in LOS I can get standard extension as well as Covid extension even If I don’t have tourist visa on my US Visa exempt Passport.

When I called the Thai Embassy to verify, I was told The immigration office in LOS can’t and won’t give me any extension stamps if I don’t have any tourist visa in my passport.

without sarcasm and negativity if you can help me or let me know which one is correct with any evidence or proof or links as a proof to your answer I would be very thankful and appreciative.

No brainer!  The law clearly  states you must have a cert amount of stamps available.  You can get a new passport  in country through your Embassy.   If you haven't planned ahead for this one would wonder why you aren't  proactive?  Can't you or aren't you eligible to get a new passport?

• Confused 12

27 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

No brainer!  The law clearly  states you must have a cert amount of stamps available.  You can get a new passport  in country through your Embassy.   If you haven't planned ahead for this one would wonder why you aren't  proactive?  Can't you or aren't you eligible to get a new passport?

What are you talking about ?

Me No English lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No sure what you are trying say.

There is no limit on the number of visa exempt entries by air and one 30 day extension of each one of them.

There is a limit of 2 per calendar year at land border crossings.

Not during covid.  I been in country two years and haven't crossed a border or left the country once.  You have to have enough unused stamp space available  in your passport.   If you do not have unused or empty  available stamp space then you must get a new pass book.  Stamps are available  if you have blank visa pages.  If your passport doesn't have any available visa pages then you must get a new book or in some countries  purchase new pages.

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He doesn't need new passport.

He is after a 30 day extension to visa exempt entry.

He is entitled to one 30 day extension per visa exempt or tourist visa entry

I came into country Feb 2020.  I got the 30 day on arrival.  Then I did the first 30 day extension.   After that Thailand  allowed the Visa Amnesty.   Once Amnesty ended, I started getting the 60 day covid extensions.   I am Grandfathered in as I came before it all started.  Again, I arrived on a 30 day on arrival and have been here 1 year and 7 months on the 30 day visa on arrival.   This is different  than visa exempt.   The question,   is can one arrive now on the 30 day on arrival or Visa exempt at the present time?  I have heard that those who have arrived after the amnesty and arrive presently on 30 day or exempt have had some issues trying to get the covid extensions. 

• Confused 5

2 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

The question,   is can one arrive now on the 30 day on arrival or Visa exempt at the present time?  I have heard that those who have arrived after the amnesty and arrive presently on 30 day or exempt have had some issues trying to get the covid extensions. 

There is no 30 day on arrival. The correct name is a visa exempt entry.

Many people have entered visa exempt to get 45 day entr since they started allowing them again. Then they got the standard 30 day extension and applied for a 60 day covid 19 extension more than once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people have entered visa exempt to get 45 day entr since they started allowing them again. Then they got the standard 30 day extension and applied for a 60 day covid 19 extension more than once.

From America  its 30 days on Arrival not visa exempt.   As you get a 30 day visa stamp.  Visa exempt are other countries.   Look it up.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Exactly. Can I still do that ? Or safer get the tourist visa for 60 days from the embassy here in the US. And by that my chances are better so I get the 30 days tourist visa extension and the. Hopefully if they still have the Covid extension in place then I can try and apply for it. So I’m not risking anything if I make sense at all. What are you guys thinking ?

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a 30 day extension on both a visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry.

Enter on visa exempt gives you 45day permission of stay. A tourist visa 60days.

Either way after you extend by 30days you can subsequently obtain 60day covid extensions. They almost certainly will be continued.

Personally I would enter visa exempt. That's up to you.

BTW the reason for obtaining the 'standard' 30 day extension before covid extensions is that immigration will make you do it that way (most likely).

Forget the notion that 30day extension is more easy with tourist visa vs visa exempt entry. You will get a 30 day extension with either. 100%.

Finally I suggest you obtain full vaccination prior to travel to Thailand. 

DrJack. You are not just a doctor you are the man :))))). Your answer is more than perfect. I’m fully vaccinated with the J&J back in June. I’ll try the tourist visa just cos it gives me 15 more days and it’s only $80. If it’s too much hassle then I’ll just skip it. Isn’t it great to have such a a great passport like the US passport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

30 for USA and I been here on one since Feb 2020.  Amnesty 

You entered visa exempt. You have never had a visa and still don't have a visa. You have a permission to stay. Simple as it gets. Everything ubonjoe says is spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, XtraFly said:

. Isn’t it great to have such a a great passport like the US passport

If you end up spending lot of time in Asia in future, be aware that USA passport holders can obtain a 12 month multi entry tourist visa for Vietnam. Think they the only country that has that available option.

Strangely same as Au and some other countries, what's not available is visa exempt entry.

Apparently Japan is #1 passport in the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If you end up spending lot of time in Asia in future, be aware that USA passport holders can obtain a 12 month multi entry tourist visa for Vietnam. Think they the only country that has that available option.

Strangely same as Au and some other countries, what's not available is visa exempt entry.

Apparently Japan is #1 passport in the world.

I didn’t know that and honestly it’s very helpful since I heard great things about Vietnam. I’m aware of the Japanese passport ranking it makes you wonder. I think the US passport rank as the 4th or 5th powerful passport based on ease of entrance to other countries.

Im not understanding the big difference between visa exempt and visa on entry since It really affect me either way. I’m still debating between the 60 days tourist visa or the visa exempt entry. We’ll see.

Speaking of Vietnam I just read that Anthony bourdain fav country was Vietnam and he shot a total of 9 episodes about Vietnam different shows over the years, It makes me wanna see it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, XtraFly said:

Im not understanding the big difference between visa exempt and visa on entry since It really affect me either way. I’m still debating between the 60 days tourist visa or the visa exempt entry. We’ll see

To understand what type of entry people choose is bit cloudy with covid.

Prior to Covid, is was more simple a choice. 

First up it was 30 day (visa exempt) vs 60 days (tourist visa). Both can be extended by 30 days. For those that didn't want to exit Thailand after arrival and have 3 month stay then the setv was good option. 

For those staying longer they could enter visa exempt and have an extension and do what's referred to as "border run". Stepped over border and re-entered straight away with a new 30 day visa exempt entry. That could also be extended by 30 days. You are allowed to do two border entries per year. You could also take cheap weekend to places such as Vietnam and re-enter visa exempt. These were in theory unlimited.

Just giving outline of what was available pre covid.

Currently visa exempt entry is 45 days and with covid extensions some folk are opting for visa exempt over tourist visa (only 15 day difference)

Either is good option 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2