Is it against condo to have an outside BBQ

3 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Rules or not, I'm a condo dweller and don't want these here.  Fire risk on balconies, nuisance and vermin risk elsewhere.  Sorry, but there are places for BBQ's and a condo isn't one of them.

Wow, your opinion is a strong one e, but then I will agree to disagree. My condo allows BBQ's as long as it's a charcoal or electric on the balcony.

• Like 2

Gee how many things can go wrong if a building allowed all residents to have a BBQ on their balcony? 

Smoke going into other units?  A spark going into another unit whose doors are open and catch it on fire?  People getting bigger and bigger BBQs?  Constant use staining sides of building requiring extra painting, cleaning. Left over food scraps/smells attracting rats/birds/cockroaches, etc?  Wind blowing left over ashes all over the complex into other units etc?

Living in a condo involves a lot of rules designed to protect the majority from extra expenses as well as safety and quality of living.  Unfortunately there are always a few "special" people who think the rules do not apply to them

Just try and imagine all the things a neighbor can/would do if no rules?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pomchop said:

Gee how many things can go wrong if a building allowed all residents to have a BBQ on their balcony? 

Smoke going into other units?  A spark going into another unit whose doors are open and catch it on fire?  People getting bigger and bigger BBQs?  Constant use staining sides of building requiring extra painting, cleaning. Left over food scraps/smells attracting rats/birds/cockroaches, etc?  Wind blowing left over ashes all over the complex into other units etc?

Living in a condo involves a lot of rules designed to protect the majority from extra expenses as well as safety and quality of living.  Unfortunately there are always a few "special" people who think the rules do not apply to them

Just try and imagine all the things a neighbor can/would do if no rules?  

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

13 hours ago, big dendrobenaes said:

most condos will have byelaws against such activities.....!!!

As you say Most but not all, the same goes for allowing animals such as dogs t also reside in your premises.  My neighbor in the penthouse next to me has a Belgian Malinois and the other Penthouse owner, who owns the entire other side of the building has a French bulldog he just bought.  Yes I know it is off-topic.  However, the owner of the third penthouse unit also has a large charcoal smoker barbeque he uses when he cooks his roasted pork and duck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

As you say Most but not all, the same goes for allowing animals such as dogs t also reside in your premises.  My neighbor in the penthouse next to me has a Belgian Malinois and the other Penthouse owner, who owns the entire other side of the building has a French bulldog he just bought.  Yes I know it is off-topic.  However, the owner of the third penthouse unit also has a large charcoal smoker barbeque he uses when he cooks his roasted pork and duck.

Be careful with your goldfish. 5555555

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

This is NOT the "condominium act", it is part of " rules " decided at the AGM of the committee.... Besides the OP was saying he was having BBQ in an open area, not in his condo or balcony.....

I wasn’t commenting on the OP regarding whether his BBQ was gas or not, I was staring the law.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s in your condominium rules or not, gas is not permitted in any condominium in Thailand by the law. Most JPM’s know that and it’s put in the rules to respect the law.

• Like 1

My gf bought a new condo in a new development and they have a common area on the roof which has a BBQ area equipped with everything. I guess the condo regulations still say it’s not allowed anywhere else and that’s been the case in pretty much every condo I lived here. I’m from a BBQ loving country where people flock to the parks and lakes with their BBQs as soon as the first sun comes out. Still in most residential buildings it’s not allowed and you would need to own your own house or hope the condo building provides a public BBQ area (which I guess is more common than in Thailand).  

I‘ll buy a small electric table grill and do it on my balcony here. It’s not the same as using charcoal or a big smoker, of course, but it still tastes better than from the frying pan and gives you a bit of BBQ feeling while not having much risk of disturbing anyone or causing a fire. 

71F67614-5812-4F43-9F8F-AAC357332ADC.jpeg

Edited by cocoonclub
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Gas is banned in Condos and apartments

Really?  You mean by law or individual JP rules?  It's certainly not banned in my condo or others that I've lived in that have had a gas-fired oven as part of the condo-supplied equipment.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 8:23 AM, JBChiangRai said:

It is illegal to have any gas bottle or gas appliance in a condo, it's not a matter of rules but the law of the land.

Are you sure about that, which Act covers it?   The Condominium Act doesn't as far as I know.   I lived in a condo in Bangkok that was equipped with a gas oven from new by the developers and my current condo has no such restriction either.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/31/2021 at 5:38 PM, JBChiangRai said:
On 8/31/2021 at 5:31 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Read the Condominium Act, gas is not permitted in condo buildings

@condobrit001see here idiot

You're calling him an idiot?   Just because some Thaivisa posters claimed that it is illegal to use gas in condos doesn't make it fact.   An indication of the section of the Condominium Act that covers it would, though.   Over to you.

Imagine if everyone in the condo follows your example and hold BBQ just outside the building. The condos near the ground floor will be full of smoke from your BBQ.

Would you like to smell BBQ smoke from someone else if you stay near the ground floor?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do... Thai people don't BBQ like westerners.

That's the same excuse I hear from smokers, little do they know that the smoke from cigarettes can travel quite far.

Edited by EricTh

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But you said that it was banned.   If only common sense is being used then it, obviously, isn't banned!   It isn't, by the way

Possibly permitted in a designated area with built-in BBQ. Not some Yahoos setting up a BBQ on the grounds wherever they choose to do so as op described. Why you keep digging yourself a hole over something so blantantly clear. Can you not see if 50 different groups decide it's a nice day to cook out. If this association has no rules prohibiting this, which is highly unlikely, they need to write some up. Just one of many rights you give up living in a condo. Buy a house and BBQ inside, outside, in your bathroom is just fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1