Non-immigrant O-A insurance requirements for married person

41 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no insurance required for 'married, yearly extension if on an 'O''A' visa, only if on a 'retirement' extension

If the extension is based on marriage not on retirement.  OA visa is by definition a retirement visa and he will have to have had insurance to get it initially (unless he has had it many years in which case this would not be his first extension)

He would have to tell Imm he wants to extend on basis of marriage not retirement. They may or may not be amenable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

All OA visas gotten outside thailand require medical insurance….it’s part of the document application process 

Yes it is but he is asking about an incountry extension of stay based on an original OA visa. If he can persuade Imm to do ectension based on marriage to a Thai rather than retirement he may be able to avoid this tequirwment.

That he has coverage under Civil Service SS makes no difference, it is not accepted in lieu of private insurance. So his only hope ofavpiding the requirwment is to ectend based on marriage.

5 hours ago, 69ComfortablyNumb69 said:

Thank you all.

Now I have OA retirement visa and it is easy to get an extension  based on 800K bank savings. 

If i get O visa, would i have go to the border every 3 months or not? 

No. You apply for 12 month extensions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 69ComfortablyNumb69 said:

If i get O visa, would i have go to the border every 3 months or not?

No. 

You state that you have a non O-A retirement. That visa requires insurance mentioned earlier. 

When you apply for subsequent extensions, if based on marriage then the insurance is not required. You are able to apply for extension based on marriage or retirement. Note different financial requirements.

Slightly confused as you state that you have a non O-A and then ask about a non O. 

If you do not currently have a non O-A then obtaining a non O is better option at this time. 

You can obtain a non O from home country or in Thailand. 

OP, where are you currently. 

12 minutes ago, 69ComfortablyNumb69 said:

I am on non immigrant O-A visa and in order to get an extension I have to pay for useless medical insurance.  

I have insurance form my home country and I am married to working Thai lady therefore I am covered by Thai government insurance. 

Immigration will not accept the insurance coverage that you have due to your wife working for the government.

You could could change the reason for your extension of stay from retirement to one based upon marriage to a Thai. No insurance would be required if you did that and you would only need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 69ComfortablyNumb69 said:

Thank you very much. We will go to immigration this September 10th and I will post update. 

if you change the reason for the extension from retirement to married, the extension will start on the date of application, not the expiry date of your retirement extension

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 69ComfortablyNumb69 said:

Thank you very much. We will go to immigration this September 10th and I will post update. 

Yes report back would be appreciated.

If you change to based on marriage make sure you read up on what is involved. Retirement is so straightforward. Pretty much money in bank, however for marriage it requires photos etc etc. 

Good point noted by @steve187 in that your 12 month extension will be dated from day of application since you are changing to based on marriage.