Why people so selfish?

Sparktrader

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

"Children should have enough freedom to be themselves - once they've learned the rules."

- Anna Quindlen.

Children appreciate structure in their lives…makes them feel safe!

My sons are in their 30’s and 40’s now and we did have a time to talk about my early days as a Dad and their days as kids…I wasn’t a perfect Dad and they weren’t perfect kids but we were good! A good Dad and good Boys but the one thing that came up was rules….it ended up they were glad of the “rules”!

They could play street hockey but they couldn’t go past the tree one way and the lamp post the other way….those kind of rules….

They broke some rules but they knew what they were???? (and I would have been disappointed in them as young men if they hadn’t).

They are respectful of others and so are their kids I’m happy to say

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Seems reading comprehension is not your Forte.

I suggest you go back to my post, read it carefully, and it will dispel the statements you made in the reply above.

I suggest you stop telling obvious false stories such as you screamed at a toddler "Shut the hell up" and it worked. Everyone who's had a child knows that's just a bald faced lie, if you did that to any toddler you'd only succeed in getting it to scream more. So no, I won't be reading your old post, it dispels nothing. Just obvious lies.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

I suggest you stop telling obvious false stories such as you screamed at a toddler "Shut the hell up" and it worked. Everyone who's had a child knows that's just a bald faced lie, if you did that to any toddler you'd only succeed in getting it to scream more. So no, I won't be reading your old post, it dispels nothing. Just obvious lies.

I don't remember seeing you at any of the times I said it.

I did not say the kid shut up - but the parents made sure he did. My whole point.

You must take great pride in being one of the 'Highly Valued' parents

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Why are people so selfish?

The simple answer I guess is they lack empathy. 

Encouraging empathy in children is something that parents (and the education system?) should address rather than trying to indoctrinate children into various religions.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 1:52 AM, Will B Good said:

Why are people so selfish?

The simple answer I guess is they lack empathy. 

Encouraging empathy in children is something that parents (and the education system?) should address rather than trying to indoctrinate children into various religions.

Selfishness, like other traits, is a learned thing.

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Selfishness, like other traits, is a learned thing.

Agree and it is primarily the responsibility of parents (the last people on earth who should be in charge of kids) to ensure they grow up not being selfish.

Sadly, the role models kids have tend to be seriously lacking.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:05 AM, canthai55 said:

Posting newspaper reporters opinions that match your own dont support your own poor behavior here! Just a sad argument between two old men who should know better! Both of you should be ashamed of yourself????

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Agree and it is primarily the responsibility of parents (the last people on earth who should be in charge of kids) to ensure they grow up not being selfish.

Sadly, the role models kids have tend to be seriously lacking.

I raise my children to first consider their own well being, and that of those close to them, rather than seek 'approval' from society.

If that action is construed as selfish so be it. 

Might also place them in a more suitable position to assist others at times.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

Posting newspaper reporters opinions that match your own dont support your own poor behavior here! Just a sad argument between two old men who should know better! Both of you should be ashamed of yourself????

The people who wrote the article are Psychologists - not reporters.

Which you would have known if you read them. And saved a few eggs in the process.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Therein lies the crux of much of today's ills

I have the right to listen to loud music, but you have the responsibility to not disturb other people.

I have the right to smoke where I want, but you have the responsibility not to make other people breath that smoke in.

I have the right to have a BBQ where I want, but you have responsibility to comply with condo rules.

The list goes on.

• Like 1