Prepare for a spike, public health expert says, but don’t panic

webfact

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

Vaccination programs globally have saved millions of lives over decades.  In just about every modern society,  vaccination agaInst common childhood diseases is a requirement for enrollment in school. What is the fascination with remaining unvaccinated and becoming a risk not only to yourself but to society as a whole?  Your choice.. Not blackmail at all but civil societies require we all must go some things (like pay taxes) for the common good.  

@tonray i bet you're fun on a night out

Edited by paulikens
  • Sad 1

No panic at all here.

Got comfortable with the thought that I might die within 5-12 days every time I visit Makro because of no vaccine.

If they can manage on death row, so can I ????

Edited by khunpa
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, khunpa said:

No panic at all here.

Got comfortable with the thought that I might die within 5-12 days every time I visit Makro because of no vaccine.

If they can manage on death row, so can I ????

Your location says Bangkok....so far there have been many opportunities for vaccine registration. Which ones have you tried and failed ?

9 hours ago, marin said:

Seems to me we are going to be saying, "here we go again". Finally numbers trending downward in a real way, and we open up malls and restaurants to the unvaccinated.  10% of the populace has had 2 injections. Everybody is bored and restless but now is certainly not the time to open up like this. But I do need a haircut.

The powers that be said months ago they were going to open up by the beginning of October/November and risk heard immunity . Open up, no going back, get sick..go to the hospital. 

18 minutes ago, tonray said:

Your location says Bangkok....so far there have been many opportunities for vaccine registration. Which ones have you tried and failed ?

I am in CM and age 51. Been signed up for a couple of months now and expect to get first vaccine next year, with this speed.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Wiggy said:

What about those who choose to be but cannot get one?

I think "cannot " isn't quite right. In your home country It's for free, but you insist to have a proper vaccination in Thailand, won't you? 

Flight to EU isn't expensive and a Johnson once off jab available. 

Why not fancy that? ????

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Most Thais do exercise the necessary precautions to limit their exposure to be infected with restriction partially lifted. Mask, social distancing and the desire to be vaccinated can be expected of Thais. We don’t have much of the western values for individual freedom but rather a sense of communal well being. 

Got my second AZ shot on the 31st. At least 300 people there and NONE practicing any kind of social distancing. Most sat within a foot of each other, and lines formed were the same. Many touching each other and I had to constantly move away from those on line with me. Not many have I seen listening to any advice given besides wearing masks, which might help a bit but aren't foolproof.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Time for us to learn to deal with it as a risk. Vaccinated people significantly less risk than those who choose not to be. Life goes on

Less at risk of severe symptoms but not really less risk to others. The science on vaccination preventing infection and also transmission is very sketchy, and even varies from vaccine to vaccine. 

10 hours ago, tonray said:

It indeed will be your choice.  But to participate in society so as not to be a risk to public health and safety you will be isolating yourself from the rest of us.  Your choice 

At risk to public health?  There is no such thing as public health. It’s an individual thing. You are either healthy or you are not. It has nothing to do with my health. As far as having an infectious disease we have faced that everyday if our lives. If I get sick it’s not what you did to me but what the virus has done. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

How many extra deaths and those suffering from long covid is acceptable?

Well, this is a subjective values judgment and everybody will disagree what an appropriate threshold should be (or if there should even be one). And any discussion on the topic would be uncomfortable for many people - particularly those whose inclinations are towards emotion over logic. But that doesn't mean the topic isn't worth of discussing.

As a practical matter, the implicit 'zero Covid before reopening' mantra that you see pushed by some regular posters isn't a viable solution out of the pandemic. When I see panic over stats like 9 kids out of 31,000 died from Covid - literally a rate of 0.00029 - it's pretty evident that a lot of people haven't reasoned through their positions on this issue.

There needs to be an acceptance of some amount of risk is the tradeoff for increased quality of life. Yes, there will be some amount of personal tragedy from the decision to reopen. And we should continue to pursue minimally disruptive actions to mitigate those impacts where possible (like getting vaccinated). But overall, my opinion is that accepting the risk and moving forward will be a significantly better path for humanity as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

I am in CM and age 51. Been signed up for a couple of months now and expect to get first vaccine next year, with this speed.

Surprised to  get a phone  call today to say come get jabbed 9september SAM  ROI  YOT  HOSPITAL with Pfizer........... well finally they got  something right. I  applied  August 5th on that expatvac site

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, watthong said:

Yet the anti-vaxxer still insists on putting their faith on tests that should last 5-10 years (actually a bunch of nurses in the Mid west part of the USA demanded 12-14 years, because as nurses they just wanted a higher markup...) because real life data so far is not "adequate" enough

I've been vaccinated twice with Moderna, however, that's actually a reasonable demand by anti-vaxxers. Thalidomide was put on the market in 1957 and was considered exceptionally safe. It was only four years later that it was recognised to be unsafe and removed from the market. Estimates of victims of the drug, not deaths, just victims, are 10,000 to 20,000 people worldwide. That was enough for it to be withdrawn. Until it was re-introduced decades later, as pharmaceutical companies applied again and again to have it admitted.

Oldham Kelsey, the brave woman in the US who kept refusing the Thalidomide applications protected Americans for a while, but there too it has been re-introduced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide#History

Edited by Tanomazu