Thailand’s Anti-Money Laundering Office praised for meeting international standards

webfact

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Unclear information. How much of assets was seized in total and in what period of time?

A total of 300 million baht would be then really nothing.

No, it would not be nothing; a total of B300,000,000 in seized assets is B300,000,000 in seized assets whichever way you look at it.   Unless you're just trying to disparage the AMLO, of course.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Anyone knows if they are for real? 

The APG is supported by the the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, OECD, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, the UN's Counter Terrorism Executive Directorate, Asian Development Bank, Commonwealth Secretariat, INTERPOL and the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units so why wouldn't it be "for real"?

39 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The article doesn’t really provide any comparative yardsticks. Versus countries like Philippines, Indonesia and Cambodia, I could see a score just above 60%, looking quite good. Against Singapore and HK, it probably looks miserable.

the best I can say is that at least it improved. But imho, a score of 61% is nothing to shout about.

The point that the report was making was that Thailand's AMLO meets international standards, not whether the "score" is good or bad.

So if things are so rosy, how come a discount stockbroking group in the UK has just written to me asking me to jump through hoops - provide information about the 'sources of my wealth' that have been used to develop an investment portfolio with them over the last 30 years and to pay a lawyer to certify my residential address and ID, noting that "Thailand is jurisdiction where there is perceived to be a heightened risk of money laundering" ? ????

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it would not be nothing; a total of B300,000,000 in seized assets is B300,000,000 in seized assets whichever way you look at it.   Unless you're just trying to disparage the AMLO, of course.

The IMF and World Bank estimate that 3%-5% of global GDP is laundered-approximately $2.17- $ 3.61 trillion annually.

546.000.000.000 Thailand GDP in$

Laundered Thai money in circulation:

21.840.000.000 in $ = 4% approx. 

Assets secured by AMLO =

approx.  10.000.000 in $ 

Success in %:  0.04578754578 %

The success is in the hundredth of a percent range.

Or to put it another way:

For every dollar that the AMLO secured, 2184 dollars were not detected. That is nearly nothing, and there is nothing nice to talk about either.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The IMF and World Bank estimate that 3%-5% of global GDP is laundered-approximately $2.17- $ 3.61 trillion annually.

546.000.000.000 Thailand GDP in$

Laundered Thai money in circulation:

21.840.000.000 in $ = 4% approx. 

Assets secured by AMLO =

approx.  10.000.000 in $ 

Success in %:  0.04578754578 %

The success is in the hundredth of a percent range.

Or to put it another way:

For every dollar that the AMLO secured, 2184 dollars were not detected. That is nearly nothing, and there is nothing nice to talk about either.

"The success is in the hundredth of a percent range".

Or, to put it another way, the OP is not about rating Thailand's AMLO's success as a percentage of something, it simply confirming that Thailand's AMLO meets international standards, that's all.

Your inaccurate (and irrelevant to the OP) calculations are just a joke.    You're using a GDP figure for a time period that has not even been reached yet, not the most recently available confirmed figure.

"...APG rating for his organisation under their four criteria of effectiveness had risen from 56.18% in 2017 to 61.15% this year. "

In standard grading, that's going from an F to a D. Progress of a sort I suppose

Thailand’s Anti-Money Laundering Office praised for meeting international standards

prop·a·gan·da
/ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun

1. 1.
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view...