Walk-in vaccinations for Thais only, foreigners can now register for Pfizer

webfact

1630576812_1-org.jpg

The PPAO started providing vaccinations to the elderly and other Thais at the Phuket Merlin Hotel in Phuket Town yesterday (Sept 1). Photo: PPAO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The walk-in vaccinations announced by the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor) last week are for Thais only, the chief of the PPAO’s Public Health Division has confirmed.

The news follows PPAO President Rewat Areerob on Monday last week (Aug 23) announcing, “Right now, about 50,000-60,000 people who are registered in Phuket have not received any vaccinations… The PPAO would like to help staff of the three main government hospitals ‒ Vachira Phuket, Thalang and Patong ‒ so we will be open for walk-in vaccinations at the Phuket Merlin Hotel on the five days [Sept 1-5], from 8:30am to 4pm.”

However, one foreigner informed The Phuket News that he arrived at the hotel yesterday (Sept 1) only to be turned away.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/walk-in-vaccinations-for-thais-only-foreigners-can-now-register-for-pfizer-81267.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-03

4 hours ago, webfact said:

However, one foreigner informed The Phuket News that he arrived at the hotel yesterday (Sept 1) only to be turned away.

We, foreigners, got vaccinated. One guy took his Thai wife who also had a UK passport. She was turned away. 

It cuts both ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The walk-in vaccinations announced by the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor) last week are for Thais only, the chief of the PPAO’s Public Health Division has confirmed

Poor souls, destined for the mix-n-match jabs.

• Haha 1

In my experience some foreigners on Phuket need to serve a three month period before they are eligible to register for vaccination. I know I am one of them. I do my visa extension in another province, but have a house on Phuket and family at school here. I split my time equally between the two provinces. With the shutting down of domestic flights I have now been in Phuket for around 2 months. Thought I might as well use my time constructively and get vaccinated during this period, and went through the online process with PhuketWIn. Heard nothing back and went online a couple of weeks after first registering. A notice saying my registration could not be completed appeared and it went on to say that I needed to contact Immigration as there was a problem that could only be resolved there.

I had registered my Phuket address a few years ago with Phuket immigration, so I went in to see what they wanted me to do. They informed me they had no record of my address registration, even though their own receipt of notification of address was stapled into the back of my passport along with that of the province where I do my extension.

They further advised transferring  my address registration to Phuket, which I did after a couple of further visits as I had to gather the house documents required which took a little doing. A couple of weeks after changing address I went onto Phuket Win website and saw the same message. Went back to Immigration, was told that there was a 3 month period of residence required before I would be eligible. That would mean I could not get a Phuket Win appointment until at least  October. This was never explained to me on my previous Immigration visit. On probing it turns out that this is because they want to stop people coming to Phuket just to get a vaccination. This I could understand if it was early in the roll out. However most foreigners in my province of extension are now vaccinated with at least one dose. When I pointed this out they just said sorry these are the rules. 

So now I am about to make the journey from Phuket to get vaccinated in Bangkok. Will receive second dose 3 weeks later and will return to the family at that stage, as long as they have not toughened the entry requirements between times - always a possibility. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

In Chumphon expats started to get the Pfizer jab two weeks ago, either sms or telephone calls were made to expats who had registered online months before. Some expats had not been contacted but word of mouth by other expats helped to get the message out and the local team of doctors and nurses were brillant, it was only for expats, some wives hoped to get the Pfizer but were turn away. Thai people are getting the Chinese jab first and I think the AZ second. Thank you USA for donating the 2million plus Pfizer shots

So a postcode lottery for the Pfizer vaccine. Not offered where I am. Is Chumphon classified as a "Red-zone", i don't know?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Poor souls, destined for the mix-n-match jabs.

Az 1st dose then Pfizer 2nd dose  produces 6x antibodies. It's what they have done in Canada and last week i read Japan could start doing the same as well. 

25 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Az 1st dose then Pfizer 2nd dose  produces 6x antibodies. It's what they have done in Canada and last week i read Japan could start doing the same as well. 

Canada does recommend AstraZeneca first shot followed by Pfizer as a second as the best!

They also mix AZ and Pfizer with Moderna “depending on age and health”!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

We, foreigners, got vaccinated. One guy took his Thai wife who also had a UK passport. She was turned away. 

It cuts both ways.

I know one Thai/UK citizen that was able to get Pfizer and one who was turned away. Both at the same hospital. Just luck of the draw I guess.

5 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

In Chumphon expats started to get the Pfizer jab two weeks ago, either sms or telephone calls were made to expats who had registered online months before. Some expats had not been contacted but word of mouth by other expats helped to get the message out and the local team of doctors and nurses were brillant, it was only for expats, some wives hoped to get the Pfizer but were turn away. Thai people are getting the Chinese jab first and I think the AZ second. Thank you USA for donating the 2million plus Pfizer shots

Thank you Europe for making them.  The USA just hoarded them. 

6 hours ago, arick said:

It's incredible how your treated in that Province.  Up here the director of the hospitals take foreigner to the front of the que and do everything for me. 

I even ask to change the date of my second dose. 

Where and WHY would that be ??????

Pfizer for foreigners

Foreigners 60 years old or over, or with one of eight medical conditions deemed to place them at greater risk of serious consequences of contracting COVID-19, can now register through the PhuketMustWin website to receive the Pfizer vaccine.

meanwhile the Bangkok Hospital was giving out Pfizer vaccines for foreigners aged 40 and above.

"Amazing Thailand" is when even the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation president doesn't know which vaccines are available and which conditions for the registration are.

Edited by fdsa

On 9/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, rbkk said:

So a postcode lottery for the Pfizer vaccine. Not offered where I am. Is Chumphon classified as a "Red-zone", i don't know?

No not a Red zone, and the wifes mother and grandmother both had two shots of AZ, now that is lucky, need to buy a lottery ticket

On 9/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, arick said:

Thank you Europe for making them.  The USA just hoarded them. 

Pfizer is an American company, but you are correct that most of the vaccine is made in Germany by BioNTech a German company. I am just thankful that we all have a chance to get a jab no matter where it is made.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, vinci said:

i just hope 3 month from now Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are easy accessible or else i don't know how people will get second dose if they took Pfizer.

I get my second jab of Pfizer next week here in the south (first jab two weeks ago)

3 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Pfizer is an American company, but you are correct that most of the vaccine is made in Germany by BioNTech a German company. I am just thankful that we all have a chance to get a jab no matter where it is made.

WRONG..... It's made in Puurs, next to Antwerp, Belgium.....