A positive story about buying a house in Thailand

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What kind of a house can you get for that?  That would buy you a nice house in a nice location in the UK.  Is it some sort of mansion?

Here it is : LINK 

I wasn't that impressed by it actually, for that sort of money you can get a nice big villa almost everywhere on the planet. 

A friend of mine owns 2 of the smaller ones, each about 40M but he is loaded with capital letters. The project is very nice though. Also at this moment there is a villa being build in Jomtien on the Dongtan beach for 285M baht (!)

Edited by WhatsNext
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Does the OP seriously think he will be able to waltz into the land office with a superseding agreement which gives him - a foreigner - full ownership of the property? Does he seriously think that at the very least the lawyer, his girlfriend and (again, LOL) her mother will need to fully cooperate in order to execute any future sale of the property? 

You misunderstood my explanation, there is no further trips to the land office. Plus read up on the matter in 874 other threads before you reach wrong conclusions

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

can see one issue with the way you have constructed your company.

Your TGF can call a general meeting, the business being to remove you as a director, your TGF and her mother vote you out and then vote your TGF as sole director.  You've then lost your company and home.

I think that thread has been done to death JBChaingRaai.... There non voting shares + he would hold a undated resignation latter from each of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

You misunderstood my explanation, there is no further trips to the land office. Plus read up on the matter in 874 other threads before you reach wrong conclusions

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will certainly have to go back to the land office if you ever try to sell the property, will you not?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will certainly have to go back to the land office if you ever try to sell the property, will you not?

No, you just sell the company, or rather my part with the 100% voting rights. The house is on the company that doesn't change. No need for the land office.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good post. Sounds like you did your homework. Who knows where the housing market will go here, but single family residences seem to appreciate more than condos, as a general rule here, and the demand seems to be higher. 

It is all about opportunity costs. I leave that 6.1M in my investment account and in 8 years it has more than doubled to 12.5M. Home appreciation adjusted for inflation in Pattaya averaged 1.9 % between 2009-2020. Even discounting the effects of Covid and based on history 7M is an optimistic sale price in 8 years, a loss of 2.5M after allowances for rent and upkeep. Other issues:

- Should you have issues with GF and Mom your 49% transformed to 100% is likely illegal.

- Illiquidity

- 40K per month today rents you a property valued between 10-18M @Hipflat

- Futures uncertain and the end is always near

- Let it roll baby roll

image.png.140ee589fe72b95a226f076464d7e0c9.png

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good post. Sounds like you did your homework. Who knows where the housing market will go here, but single family residences seem to appreciate more than condos, as a general rule here, and the demand seems to be higher. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I think that thread has been done to death JBChaingRaai.... There non voting shares + he would hold a undated resignation latter from each of them.

I think you mean undated share transfer form, one of the problems with undated documents is they needs a copy of their ID card, ID cards expire in under 7 years.

In any event, he can appoint more Thai Directors who sign at the land office to sell the house out of the company if he wants to sell it.  Land Offices don’t much like Farang involvement in Land/Houses.

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think you mean undated share transfer form, one of the problems with undated documents is they needs a copy of their ID card, ID cards expire in under 7 years.

In any event, he can appoint more Thai Directors who sign at the land office to sell the house out of the company if he wants to sell it.  Land Offices don’t much like Farang involvement in Land/Houses.

1/ Then you get a new copy after 6 years or use the Resignation letter to replace them.

2/ Lawyers usually attend the land office for company sales.

I am sure given time you can think up some more negatives....... just remember to pay your rent on time and move out when instructed...........:w00t:

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

A comment about property ownership vs. renting.

If you have decided to be a long term resident in Land of Smiles - preferably after testing it for a while - then approximately 15 years of rent often equals what you shall invest in similar kind of property and location, including interest and maintenance.

The point being, that after around 15 years you have "not invested more than you can afford to lose in Thailand", as you would already have paid the sum in rent; so  OP is very right in his view of buying, instead of renting.

In some cases the period might be a few years shorter, and in other cases some years longer, depending on property a market prices for renting/leasing.

In other words, after the approximately 15 years are your costs to live in the property you "own" - one or other way - is down to maintenance costs, i.e. it's not free, especially as some things last less due to weather, wear and quality, than in many of our home countries, but it's often not more expensive than renting, rather a little cheaper; and as owner you have the benefit of freedom to do whatever you wish with the property.

In some cases you might be able to sell and get your funds back, remembering that in Thailand it's the land that increase in value, while buildings normally decrease in value.

Don't look at property in Thailand as "investment" - you might too easily bee disappointed - but be happy if you can get your "invested money" back - eventual adjusted for inflation, for example increasing with the consumer price index - that's what I'm counting with, and will be happy with, if I ever sell "my dream house in paradise"...????

On top there are other considerations, if you own you can never be told to vacate, you can put in substantial changes to your liking. I've had very good landlords in LOS but of course there is always a possibility they can tell you to get out.

• Like 2

I wish you a good time with and in your new home.

But I can't see what's new about the story. The different ways to "own" a house in Thailand are well known and all of them bypass Thai law.

The only way to live stress free that way is to be aware of that fact and never to invest more than you can afford to leave behind from one moment to the other.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

- 40K per month today rents you a property valued between 10-18M @Hipflat

Sadly that isn't true, the house i was renting before for 40k was about 8 million with everything included. If i could rent an 18M property for 40k i'd be doing that instead. Of course i am not including condo's as i am not interested in those. 

2 hours ago, Brick Top said:

A couple of things that you might have overlooked and I am talking from experience.

In 2004 , I also did a similar thing to what you described , I had a house built in Phuket that cost at the time 17 Million , the value now is around 35 Million. My laywer set up the Thai company in exactly the same way as you described. The problem was my relationship with the TGF ended in 2012 when she ran off with a younger Australian man and moved to Australia with him.

When I tried to sell my house in 2015 , I couldn't as she was a 49% shareholder and her the signed copy of her ID and signed copies of share transfer certificates were deemed useless as her Thai ID card date had expired in 2008. I have no idea of were she is and to date I still can not sell the house until she is found and gives a new signed copy of her ID card. 

Another problem also arose when the DBD investigated my Thai company in 2016 and demanded to see proof of were the ex TGF got the money from to hold 49% of the shares in my Thai company. That investigation is also still ongoing and causing me a lot if stress , I have been told it is illegal to hold a house this way and the DBD are threatening to take me to court about the way I formed a Thai company to buy a house , it is totally illegal they have warned me.

YEP,  those are a few of the things that can go wrong.    I (who have been here many years) would not suggest the "business"  route to anyone.    The OP got a lot of "likes"  for his "positive post" .....

I do not think those posters know the pitfalls.

Almost ANY way in which a foreigner invests money in land or a house will not have an easy out IF the guy has problems with his lady.     There are exceptions, of course.  The guys who were fortunate enough to find an honest and long time sincere lady.  

Like all things in life........ things can change,  and with "love" ,   very often do.

• Like 2

Renting  40K? high rent there,half that price

I like the litmus test...offer a third off the asking price (finished house)...straight back on market at reduced accepted  price......no takers, but offered a third off the new asking price by another punter...and so on...