Lawn Maintenance

Thank God, NO.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Miracle-Gro Evergreen Natural 4 in 1 Lawn Food will not work on mature weeds already present in the lawn, it will only prevent the growth of new weeds.

Since Miracle-Gro Evergreen Natural 4 in 1 Lawn Food impacts the establishment of new weeds, the effects may not be visible the first 3 months after spreading.

Avoid mowing the lawn 2-3 days before and after treatment. Do not use the first 4 mowings after treatment for mulching. They will be safe to use after being thoroughly composted for 6 months.

Staining

Apply this product very carefully as it will cause brown stains on any surface it comes into contact with, e.g., clothing, tarmac drives, paving, decking and kitchen floors. Note this list is not exhaustive. Do not walk on the treated area and keep children and pets away from the area until the product is thoroughly watered in, the granules have dissolved completely and the grass is dry; otherwise, it will stick to shoes or pets’ feet and be spread outside the treated area. Clean up any spillages.

Miracle-Gro EverGreen Natural 4 in 1 can be used around trees in the lawn, but avoid contact with foliage. Avoid drift onto nearby flowers, shrubs, fruit trees, vegetables, ponds or streams.

Cautions

Do not apply to lawns less than 6 months old. Do not apply during prolonged dry periods (drought), frosty weather or when temperatures exceed 25°C.

5 hours ago, malcolminthemiddle said:

Does any one know the European/American equivalent of the Japanese grass common here in Thailand? Also the European/American equivalent of the common Hell Moo weed (spelling)? Thanks in advance.

Thailand being a tropical country ,Europe and most of America being temperate  most grasses do not travel ,the climates are just so different .and will not grow ,one member has grown some clover in a very mixed sward grown as a green manure.

Japanese grass is also an ornamental grass.

As far as I know Napier grass is about he only one that can be grown  in Thailand  and  Europe ,in the UK it is grown for bi-fuel 

As for your Hell Moo weed ,Googled it and an old TV post come up with a photo ,if I am not mistaken that Hell Moo weed looks very much like Para grass .or Yar Con  in Thai.

If it is Para grass the nearest thing in Europe would be a type of Couch grass with the creeping rhizomes.

• 1 month later...

I bought some grass  runners     with me from Australia,   took a while to get established, patchy , but  OK now, except  I have a lot of clover type weed now, though      when that dies off in the hot season  it is supposed to put nitrogen  back in the soil.      The lawn  I  have is called Palmeto,  a  variant of the good old "buffalo grass"  from Australia, only more drought  resistant and  softer, so  it doesnt give you itches from  lying on it as buffalo does.  Have yet to find a good quality lawn fertiliser there  though.

Update. I found an inexpensive product in the UK which kills weeds but not the grass. Diluted and sprayed of a sample area. It worked. It is surprising how many weeds there are hidden in the grass. I expect to rid the whole lawn of weeds over time. Next experiment is to over-seed with Bermuda.

Edited by malcolminthemiddle

10 minutes ago, malcolminthemiddle said:

Update. I found an inexpensive product in the UK which kills weeds but not the grass. Diluted and sprayed of a sample area. It worked. It is surprising how many weeds there are hidden in the grass. I expect to rid the whole lawn of weeds over time. Next experiment is to over-seed with Bermuda.

Do you have a link to the product and can it be purchased in Thailand?

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Do you have a link to the product and can it be purchased in Thailand?

Look at the label and see what the chemical is if it is MPCA ?,it is available on Lazada.

As for a lawn fertilizer why not just use an  N. P. K . mix ,grass will still grow ,some lime applied say once a year ( Boon-Khow in Thai ),would help .

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

Look at the label and see what the chemical is if it is MPCA ?,it is available on Lazada.

As for a lawn fertilizer why not just use an  N. P. K . mix ,grass will still grow ,some lime applied say once a year ( Boon-Khow in Thai ),would help .

Thats guess work. May help, may be detrimental.

High NPK ferts kills beneficial soil biology, which is the most important aspect of soil and plant health. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kickstart said:

Look at the label and see what the chemical is if it is MPCA ?

image.png.d35f4cd87425a22109954f9e814fb69e.png

Above is the Weedol ingredients.

2-4D @ 160 baht/litre would be your cheapest non selective broadleaf chemical option and readily available in most Ag shops.

If you want to take out species of different grass then you will need to identify the unwanted plants and use a selective herbicide(more expensive) which is a little more complicated.

If i had lawn here i would use chemical for the broadleaf weeds and hand pick the others.

Each to there own depending on size of area and appearance required.

Edited by farmerjo

11 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Thats guess work. May help, may be detrimental.

High NPK ferts kills beneficial soil biology, which is the most important aspect of soil and plant health. 

The problem with a lot of lawns I see on my travels is the soil under it ,not always of the best quality ,more than likely lacking in organic matter ,and a few I have seen has some Yar Con, Para grass in it ,which will show it gets wet ,Yar Con loves water which shows a drainage problem .and a lot of other weeds.

Spiking with a pointed steel rod will help,and as someone said a long time ago ,cutting the lawn to short leaves space for weeds to grow lift the mower blades a bit let the grass grow up a bit ,might help choke a few weeds.