Major fire causes serious damage to Walking Street nightclub in Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Entertainment is closed for months, just wondering how did this happen?

Night man heard an "explosion" according to the report. Makes one wonder, LOL.

35 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

About 25 meters past the McD's.
tv2.jpg.c0d99af45ef010246a964bd9ab99a6bc.jpg

Didn't we have news threads about them burying the cables on Walking Street? So, why are there all the cables in the photo?

Even if that's an old photo, the photo in the OP also shows overhead wires.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

It looks like the fire is at a building by the sea. So can it be that one on the corner of Soi 16?

Sorry, you are right.

This Nashaa club is on the beach side of WS.

I mixed it up with the big one at corner Soi 16 ("Raas").

It's 40 m apart :smile:

Note to myself: don't post before breakfast!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The article says Nashaa nightclub?

That was the big indian club at corner of Soi 16.

Many years before there were three Gogos  (Boesche, Katz and ?).

the gogos were awesome spent many a time there, x zone i think was the name of the one upstairs the shows they put on were great

Seems to me its a insurance job i think the care taker should not have opened his mouth saying he heard an explosion ha ha

• Like 1

I went in the Nashaa club club twice I think just to see what a Indian club was like........They had a big dance floor with Indian guys dancing with each other.....Blaring Indian music......Lots of heavily made-up Russian birds looking for some Indian prey for a price $$$........Expensive drinks.....

Needless to say I did not stay long.....

• Like 1

I would be interested if anyone can correct me on the t's and c's of insurance contracts in los.  I was a manager for one of the largest insurance (assurance) companies in the UK and claims don't work as suggested by some.

One of the classic conspiracy theories with regard to 9/11 was that Silverstein had the WT centre flattened so he could walk away with a nice fat cheque courtesy of his insurers.  Unfortunately that theory fails on the basis that insurance companies will only re-instate your loss , put you back to a place you were before the 'incident'.  They will want to see ( as in the case of the WTC) a replacement and will only fund such, usually by stage payments.

I'll welcome any correction on this, he received $4.6 Billion in insurance but the re-build is up towards $20 Billion.  I doubt very much that insurance companies ( maybe international) will just send a cheque to the owners of Nashaa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

there was no one in the building to put out a small fire that became a big blaze

The video says there was a security guard who tried to put the fire out, but it was too big. Nice to see the sprinkler system was working to normal Thai standards. And the video shows plenty of people out after curfew watching the action. Better than watching Thai tv, I suppose.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

As there is no permanent construction permitted on Thai beaches it is to be hoped that this place will not be rebuilt. It would also be a good time to clear away all those other buildings on the beach side of Walking St and open the space up for the public, as the law requires.

What..... Is not miles and miles of open beach either side of walking street enough for you?..Why are some people obsessed with the few blocks of Walking street and what would be a very small beach there......

Maybe the law needs to go in the trash can....The public does not give a flip about open space there.........

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Most of those Indian clubs only really got going about 2018-2019..... They sunk a lot of money into those clubs, so the return on their investment has not paid off.....I guess its time to make these clubs payoff one way or another......

Pattaya Tony betted on the Indians and got "burnt''. Apt. 

24 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

As there is no permanent construction permitted on Thai beaches it is to be hoped that this place will not be rebuilt. It would also be a good time to clear away all those other buildings on the beach side of Walking St and open the space up for the public, as the law requires.

Why would you care?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Farangdk said:

Yes, it seems that there have been several more fires in the last couple of years. Wonder why.

I recall maybe a couple in discos over the years.... but more deadly as people were in them. Seem to recall one around 3rd Rd, North Rd end, where staff were trapped, but it was not open for revelers yet.

Edited by jacko45k
typo

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Now they are praising the lockdown for saving lives whereas the lockdown was a significant reason for the fire in the first place as there was no one in the building to put out a small fire that became a big blaze, or there was someone in the building secretly lighting the blaze. Either way, the lockdown was responsible. 

The timing was perfect for a person to descretly light a fire and leave just before curfew started at 9PM.

The number of people who have died in nightclub fires over the years suggests that there is a flaw in your logic.

How efficient and specialized are the Thai Police Arson Squad and fire department fire investigators? 

How many offenders are identified and prosecuted for arson and fraudulent insurance claims? 

We all know that any vacant building where owners are financially struggling is already a red flag red ????

Treat it as suspicious until proven otherwise.  But I won't be holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A drone video of the aftermath.
I am surprised how big the site is.

A motley mix of ACs on the roof :smile:

Yes, so many small and separate air conditioners on the roof, likely added one by one over the years instead of buying much larger units suited to such a large building.

Of course they will have upgraded all the wiring as they expanded the AC installations lest there be some kind of fire ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I recall maybe a couple in discos over the years.... but more deadly as people were in them. Seem to recall one around 3rd Rd, North Rd end, where staff were trapped, but it was not open for revelers yet.

Route 999 on 3rd Road. May 2006. Another nightclub fire was in Bangkok (Santika Club on 1 Jan 2009).

The Route 999 fire was started (apparently) by someone with a welding torch working on (airconditioner mounts ?) just prior to the place opening. Insulation in the roof caught fire or something.
Many staff were in the place, but no customers. Something like 7 staff died and dozens injured.
They found that many of the exit doors had been chained and locked by management (no doubt to keep people from sneaking in/out).

The Santika fire was in the early hours of New Year's day and I think it was the pyrotechnics from the band that lit curtains on fire and it spread from there to the roof. 

The recent fire(s) at the Fairy Sweet Restaurant (one in Sept 2020 and again in Aug 2021) were (are) thought to have been caused by faulty electrical systems and spread by the foam insulation.

Sprinkler systems ? In Thailand ? Lol.
I see some places have them, or had them retro-fitted (like in a couple hospitals). But there doesn't seem to be a "fire code" here or any requirement to install any kind of fire-fighting equipment and certainly no "fire safety inspections" to make sure buildings are constructed with fire-retardant materials and have sufficient extinguishers (ect ect).

Fire escapes and exits on some buildings have been found to be blocked (deliberately) - which they usually note after something has happened.

The fire escapes on the waterfront condo monstrosity were one of the reasons that construction was halted on that place (supposedly). The plans called for fire escapes of a certain size, which were approved in the plans but then the (developer ? contractor ?) changed the plans and was building much smaller fire escapes. 

Because hey ! It's not like a condo has ever caught fire here before or anything ! (Yes, there have been disastrous condo and hotel fires here as well as night club blazes and it's the same story every time. After it happens the mouthpieces go on about making sure this kind of thing never happens again and then it's forgotten about.)
Until it happens again. 

There used to be a thing where some people wouldn't live in a condo/apartment higher than the 7th floor here, because that's as high as the fire truck ladders can reach. 
(Someone else claimed, without any evidence, that they could now reach the 20th floor but I doubt it as I haven't seen any new trucks around here and the ones they do have look like they date back to the 50s/60s.)

I went into the Lucifer Disco once and had a look around. As far as I could see, the tiny, crowded corridor leading from Walking Street was the only way in/out of that place, without trying to bust through a wall and jumping into the (water/mud/sludge). Never went back again as that place looked like a death trap waiting for a headline.
(It works when the cops raid the place though as there's no where for the patrons to escape.)

• Like 1