Video: Protesting teen at Din Daeng in hit and run with apparent police vehicle

webfact

1pm.jpg

video screenshot

Thai media was reporting an apparent hit and run incident late last night during protests at the Din Daeng intersection in Bangkok.

A minute long video from "The Reporters" on Twitter showed the moment a man was sent to the ground as a police vehicle used to carry suspects collided with him.

As explosive devices went off the vehicle didn't stop, instead fleeing the scene along the highway.

It was reported that the person hit was a 14 year old who was taken conscious to Ratchawithi Hospital with cheek and body injuries.

Many tweeters took to the platform to hurl abuse at the Royal Thai Police.

One said "executioners who always have an excuse". 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 6

Looks bad but I wonder what the protocol is for police car transporting detained or prisoners in case of accident or an ambush.

what if it was a set up to free the detained? 

boy is 14 and riding a bike? Hope he recovers well 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, engamann said:

Are you really surprised that them throw some fireworks after the police when the police keep shouting at them whit rubber bullets from one meters hold and in the back of people , shouting gas and use water canons on them

The idea is that the protestors leave when the police use these methods to disperse them.  That's the whole point.  You aren't going to disperse a huge crowd of protestors who refuse to leave without some force.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What do you call people who throw improvised explosive devices at police?

Doesn't justify hitting someone with a car, but we should probably talk about what both sides are doing if we're going to start labelling people as terrorists.

THe police is for punishing demonstrators, but are in service of the public to keep order.. If the police act like on the video it will damage them more, because THEY are the ones who are doing unlawful things. Just as someone who according to you throws  an explosive to the police will be caught and punished so must be the same for these men who refused to stop and help after causing an accident

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are many who know full well that peaceful protests get them absolutely nowhere. And when people are deaf to your protests you end up shouting louder and louder. You do not simply go home. The government appears not to understand that basic fact. Violence, in the form of water cannon and rubber bullets, none of which have come from the protesters, does indeed breed violence. Something else that the government appears not to understand.

Gandhi  seems to have done quite well against one of the strongest empires that was around. So i like to agree to disagree. 

And yes the hard handed goverment way of doing things breeds violence too. Who ever said that the government is an innocent party. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are many who know full well that peaceful protests get them absolutely nowhere. And when people are deaf to your protests you end up shouting louder and louder. You do not simply go home. The government appears not to understand that basic fact. Violence, in the form of water cannon and rubber bullets, none of which have come from the protesters, does indeed breed violence. Something else that the government appears not to understand.

I think you have it back to front.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Thai police deny hit-and-run accusation by anti-government protesters

การชุมนุม-กลุ่มทะลุแก๊ส..jpg

“Talugas” protesters

Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) denied today (Monday) an accusation by anti-government protesters that a police truck had hit a “Talugas” protester and then fled the scene at Din Daeng intersection during a protest on Sunday night.

MPB Commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Pakapong Phongpetra told a news conference this morning that the alleged hit-and-run incident occurred at almost midnight on Sunday as a police van, used to hold suspects and driven by a police lance corporal was heading back to a police station.

He said that the sound of explosions was being heard periodically at the time and a group of about 7 protesters suddenly dashed onto the road, forcing the officer to brake aggressively, but the van hit one of the protesters.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-police-deny-hit-and-run-accusation-by-anti-government-protesters/

Logo-top-.png

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Looks bad but I wonder what the protocol is for police car transporting detained or prisoners in case of accident or an ambush.

what if it was a set up to free the detained? 

boy is 14 and riding a bike? Hope he recovers well 

Perhaps you should look at the video in the linked story- 12 secs to 14 secs. He was not on a bike. A clear hit and run is what I see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that the sound of explosions was being heard periodically at the time and a group of about 7 protesters suddenly dashed onto the road, forcing the officer to brake aggressively, but the van hit one of the protesters.

Brake aggressively.... that would mean stopping, didn't see much evidence of stopping in the video?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hasitha77 said:

The police cab was driving on a straight line and there is no indication of turning toward protestors for an intentional hit.

That guy was clearly running to a moving vehicle and got hit. That's what I see as a driver's perspective.

No swerving or avoiding action either. The driver just plowed straight through.

10 minutes ago, rbkk said:

No swerving or avoiding action either. The driver just plowed straight through.

If you have noticed.. only 2seconds of time frame for the guy to start running and get hit. I believe that car was driven by a human. 

Edited by hasitha77

14 hours ago, rbkk said:

Perhaps you should look at the video in the linked story- 12 secs to 14 secs. He was not on a bike. A clear hit and run is what I see.

i did have a look AGAIN and boy is running along with the car and then appears to run in front of the car. Now have a think why is someone filming precisely this moment? there was nothing happening in the position to be filmed for this to be "just caught on camera" and you will also note when he gets hit, his helmet comes off

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, BestB said:

i did have a look AGAIN and boy is running along with the car and then appears to run in front of the car. Now have a think why is someone filming precisely this moment? there was nothing happening in the position to be filmed for this to be "just caught on camera" and you will also note when he gets hit, his helmet comes off

The clip is from "The Reporters". That's what they do, they film. There is a lot going on there. At the beginning I see a man on the left hurl an object towards the 'escaping' police truck. It hit the bottom front of the drivers door area just before the driver collided with the victim. Laser pointers are also targeting the speeding truck. In front and to his right is the youth wearing a helmet running towards the vehicle in an aggressive manner. There are police tear gas missiles and I'm guessing rubber bullets flying around so the helmet serves 2 purposes, head protection and hiding his face. It's still a hit and run. The driver would have been aware of the collision and chose to run rather than stop in a hostile area.

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, rbkk said:

The clip is from "The Reporters". That's what they do, they film. There is a lot going on there. At the beginning I see a man on the left hurl an object towards the 'escaping' police truck. It hit the bottom front of the drivers door area just before the driver collided with the victim. Laser pointers are also targeting the speeding truck. In front and to his right is the youth wearing a helmet running towards the vehicle in an aggressive manner. There are police tear gas missiles and I'm guessing rubber bullets flying around so the helmet serves 2 purposes, head protection and hiding his face. It's still a hit and run. The driver would have been aware of the collision and chose to run rather than stop in a hostile area.

so boy was running after the car and did run infront it? and you do agree that driver did not stop due to its being hostile and unsafe?

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, BestB said:

so boy was running after the car and did run infront it? and you do agree that driver did not stop due to its being hostile and unsafe?

I have looked repeatedly at the start of the video and have changed my opinion. The driver at the start appears to be heading slightly to his right  and targeting the victim. There is also a tyre screach as he accelerates into the victim (at the 12 sec mark) and another screach as he hit the brakes after collision.  After the collision he pulls to his left and then straightens up. I am now more of the opinion that it was a deliberate act of hit and run and not an unavoidable accident. 

• Like 2