Funerals are the new cluster risk in Thai provinces, says CCSA

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thansettakij

Funerals represent a risk of cluster infections from Covid-19, Centre for Covid Situation Administration spokesman Taveesin Visanuyothin said yesterday.

At Thai funerals in the countryside there is lots of eating and drinking where people remove masks and the close proximity of mourners exacerbates the problem, said Taveesin.

These events, along with perennial cluster risks such as restaurants, parties, bus stations, schools and both regular and weekly markets are driving infections outside the Thai capital and surrounding areas.

In and around Bangkok the rate of infection is easing.

In the period from April 1st to 9th September 13,637 people have died from Covid-19 with most having underlying health conditions like obesity, high blood pressure, kidney disease and high fat content in blood. 

Of these 13,067 have died in hospitals with 361 stated as dying outside and 209 not mentioned, Thai media Thansettakij reported yesterday.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

At Thai funerals in the countryside there is lots of eating and drinking where people remove masks and the close proximity of mourners exacerbates the problem, said Taveesin.

My mother passed last year in the UK, only 5 total allowed at the funeral.

I remained here during the lock-down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

To be expected, mitigation protocol seems to have become relaxed of the last few months in regards to any type of Wat ceremony - in the midst of the highest surges, since Delta. 

You'll be remembering that during all of 2020 and into 2021, most Wats of every province designed restrictions as to the number gathered at any given tamboon. As such applied to cremations - only immediate family. 

Many Wats shut down for a period, disallowing entry of the masses. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

At Thai funerals in the countryside there is lots of eating and drinking where people remove masks

Obviously from a person who lives in Bangkok where they can do no wrong but needs to blame others. Just been to one of his "countryside" funerals last weekend and it was nothing of the sort. Even though the deceased was a Government employee with people coming from outside the province in her honour it was very restricted compared to what we are used to up here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought that.

Usually the most vulnerable attending.  Older frail Thais saying goodbye to there lifelong friends and many younger getting drunk on the free liquor usually on offer at the funerals.

We do the customary 100 baht donation and my wife gives quick condolences and shes back home.

Not much you can do about it.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Obviously from a person who lives in Bangkok where they can do no wrong but needs to blame others. Just been to one of his "countryside" funerals last weekend and it was nothing of the sort. Even though the deceased was a Government employee with people coming from outside the province in her honour it was very restricted compared to what we are used to up here.

The experience and testimony from real happenings of life upcountry, less from isolated individuals who create broad brush generalizations from a couple of instances. 

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

Yes I have lost a few Thai family members and some here in Canada. There have been

no funerals in Thailand for my rich uncle. he was taken to his gravesite in the Saraburi area

at the Chinese- Thai graveyards and buried in his mound with only a few immediate family members

who stayed apart.  I think that in the Spring of 2022 or 2023 the family will all go to the grave site

and do a big ceremony, once it is safe to do that activity again.

I agree that at this time the gatherings are just too dangerous, and only the foolish crowds are 

doing funerals now.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes I have lost a few Thai family members and some here in Canada. There have been

no funerals in Thailand for my rich uncle. he was taken to his gravesite in the Saraburi area

at the Chinese- Thai graveyards and buried in his mound with only a few immediate family members

who stayed apart.  I think that in the Spring of 2022 or 2023 the family will all go to the grave site

and do a big ceremony, once it is safe to do that activity again.

I agree that at this time the gatherings are just too dangerous, and only the foolish crowds are 

doing funerals now.

Geezer

Does it matter he was rich ?

10 hours ago, natway09 said:

So are many of the Governments centres for innocculations

Oh sorry,,,, they don't count 

What a silly comparison to make.

Governments centres for inoculations maintain social distancing. They require mask wearing. They observe hygiene protocols and the have staff who aware of them and ensure compliance.

• Thanks 1

Well folks. I'll able to give a firsthand account tomorrow.

The husband of our Pu Yha Ban died Monday. He was an important man in his own right and I cannot envisage that he's going to get a low key send off.

The CCSA don't seem to appreciate the importance that Thais place on their cherished funeral rites. It's a whole lot more than just party time.

I did mention the Covid risk to my wife, who is inevitably involved in the preparations. She simply said 'no problem, I have 2 jabs'. Uh huh!

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Aren't all religious events exempt from covid restrictions?

And why not? They all have amulets.

and you think followers of other religions don't wear amulets of some sort. Of course they do, and for the most part, for the same reason as buddhists do, because they believe they will be protected.

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

and you think followers of other religions don't wear amulets of some sort. Of course they do, and for the most part, for the same reason as buddhists do, because they believe they will be protected.

Thank you for that very informative post.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Islam?

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

They have beads, though.

Does that qualify?

all religions do. Islam has more than just beads. They have rings with religious inscriptions, but mostly talismans. Christians have numerous amulets. Chains with a crucifix that they wear around their neck. Catholics have numerous ones. Scapulars, medals that have been blessed by priests etc. So those taking shots at Thais for believing that their amulets will or have saved them are commenting out of sheer ignorance when it comes to faith.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

all religions do. Islam has more than just beads. They have rings with religious inscriptions, but mostly talismans. Christians have numerous amulets. Chains with a crucifix that they wear around their neck. Catholics have numerous ones. Scapulars, medals that have been blessed by priests etc. So those taking shots at Thais for believing that their amulets will or have saved them are commenting out of sheer ignorance when it comes to faith.

Calm down dear, calm down. Try meditating ......555

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1