Prominent doctor calls for one-month delay to Thailand’s border reopening

snoop1130

"take the “Phuket Sandbox” scheme into account before reopening borders on October 1st"

What perfect sense he is making. the sandbox was a complete failure as it exceeded its cancellation threshold a long time ago.

I think Thailand should keep to its plan of vaccinating 70% of the population and 100% of the sick and elderly before opening up. Them open up everything, live with Covid as in the UK

Sorry you sandbox supporters or residents of Phuket - the sand box was a complete waste of space.

Happy to be educated as to why not.

Just now, hotchilli said:

The biggest flaw was unvaccinated locals... 

For sure 100%.

Phuket has so many foreign and Thai  workers from various parts of Thailand. Personally I never bought that 75ish vaccinated level. 

Perhaps folk living in Phuket can provide better info as to number of workers from Myanmar etc. Only guessing but don't imagine that they were vaccinated.

Thinking the return of workers from neighbouring countries back into Thailand will be of interest. 

• Like 1

Let me stir the pot a bit?  If the people coming into Thailand borders are legitimately vaccinated been tested prior to departure and arrival based on the science itself as to being vaccinated why would they be concern that those arriving will infect the rest of the population that isn't infected?  Wouldn't that go against the plan to vaccinate more people in a month prior to opening?  If they are scare of those coming in already vaccinated then why continue with the massive vaccination plan? 

From every thing that I'm reading with people coming in already from other countries which are far and far below the numbers the Thai leaders have projected the source of the spread isn't coming from the so call dirty foreigners. The borders that need to be closed or heavily restricted and monitor is their own, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, which they have admitted is the clear source of the current outbreak and will continue if they continue if they are hungry for Migrant workers who are sneak in without being tested for the good old sake of the almighty $$$$.

Let take the sandbox, yesterday another article on this forum one official admitted that the current problem with the infected cases in Phuket has zero to do with foreigners who have been tested and vaccinated from outside their borders!  He clearly stated the source of the infected comes from their own people. migrates who were all untested, non-vaccinated entering Phuket looking for jobs. 

If what is being said by the Dean, is true doesn't it all go against being vaccinated?  ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

the sandbox was a complete failure as it exceeded its cancellation threshold a long time ago.

That threshold was established with the idea that the only possible way numbers could go up on the island would be if tourists brought in the virus. As it turned out, though, the sharp increase in infections had nothing whatsoever to do with the incoming Sandboxers, and stemmed pretty much entirely from locals infecting locals. As such, it quite properly ended up being ignored.

14 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

Sorry you sandbox supporters or residents of Phuket - the sand box was a complete waste of space.

Happy to be educated as to why not.

I agree with you to the extent that the Sandbox fell far short of the overly optimistic projections that had been made, and that implementing it meant stopping most domestic tourism to Phuket. My guess is that the program ended up creating a net loss over what they would have had without it. To the extent that it served as an experiment in seeing how to "reopen" the country, however, I think it had moderate success (albeit at the expense of the people on the island).

a few points here,the economy is barely functional.food queues in some places .massive unemployment,its not just about tourists,the govt has plenty of money about 40 billion in a rich northern european state im told and loads to buy new chinese subs,pay unemployment benefits ,life belts to smaller companies and this Dr he has a job so.....arrogance and dumb self importance always close to the surface with these people.tourism....if your double jabbed with  JJ,pfizer,moderna or AZ or any combo your good to go.maybe a covid  neg to fly in ,anything else is a non starter,other countries can be entered easily with  a proven double jab.if you fulfill that criteria your a safer bet than most thais in fact about all of them as the sinocrap is giving low effective rates against the delta.locals dont want it for that reason,here PI indo etc they have the right to say  no to a vacc that dont work and ask why govt bought a car with 3 wheels.eventually we will have to realise we have to live with it ,like malaria,HIV and so on.the no of deaths now is minimal worldwide about 8000 a day many with, not of the virus so theres 7 billion of us.jab up and move on,stop the hysteria

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm currently outside Thailand - BUT,I agree with him.

Shut everything now for 2 months more and vaccinate like hell, the next month get the school back and then re-open fully and no restraints in January.

Besides, the tourists are not coming with everything closed and schools I would say are more important than bars at the moment. And they are not due to open until November earliest

Incorrect with regards to schools not opening until November, some International schools reopened last Wednesday 15th with more opening next Monday. But I do agree that international tourists won't be coming any time soon

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

That threshold was established with the idea that the only possible way numbers could go up on the island would be if tourists brought in the virus. As it turned out, though, the sharp increase in infections had nothing whatsoever to do with the incoming Sandboxers, and stemmed pretty much entirely from locals infecting locals. As such, it quite properly ended up being ignored.

I agree with you to the extent that the Sandbox fell far short of the overly optimistic projections that had been made, and that implementing it meant stopping most domestic tourism to Phuket. My guess is that the program ended up creating a net loss over what they would have had without it. To the extent that it served as an experiment in seeing how to "reopen" the country, however, I think it had moderate success (albeit at the expense of the people on the island).

Never mind the expense of the people on the island- the diversion of scarce vaccines away from the old and sick to vaccinate some 18yos in Phukhet cannot be called a success. Murder?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, lujanit said:

The covid czar has deemed large parts of Thailand will be open October 1.  No considerations of the health consequences whatsoever.

With no bars open and restaurants only allowing 50% capacity, do not see a problem.

In reality, only YOU are responsible for your health consequences.  If vaccinated and sitting outside at a restaurant you will be fine.  IMO  

New Normal is about protecting yourself, you see a restaurant overcrowded and not following distancing rules, do not go there that day.  We have a couple Russian families here and several individuals I see regularly at my condo that never wear masks (they drive and enter the elevators from 2-4 floors to circumvent security) . If they get on the elevator I am on,  I just exit there and wait for next one  - pretty simple

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

The purpose of closing the border is to prevent introduction of the virus.

That has already happened.

The purpose of lockdown is to slow the rate of transmission.

Widespread transmission has already happened.

Since the measures in place do not accomplish the goals, there is no need for those measures.

Doing lockdown and border controls correctly is, evidently, not possible.

Therefore open everything.  Transmission will remain close to where it is now, but at least the economy will recover.

I couldn't agree more. Their so called preventive measure were a total bust. Delaying reopening won't help anybody.

Still, who's going to go there as a tourist now? Probably nobody... but at least some folks will have an easier time reuniting with their families.

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For sure 100%.

Phuket has so many foreign and Thai  workers from various parts of Thailand. Personally I never bought that 75ish vaccinated level. 

Perhaps folk living in Phuket can provide better info as to number of workers from Myanmar etc. Only guessing but don't imagine that they were vaccinated.

Thinking the return of workers from neighbouring countries back into Thailand will be of interest. 

And they want to do the same to other provinces in Thailand?

At best 25%-30% double dosed... recipe for disaster.

Better to say 2021 closed to international tourism, push for full inoculation.

We'll be 100% open January 1st 2022

no paperwork, no quarantine, no tests... complete freedom of movement, just show a valid vaccination document.

People can then make plans.

i remember thai leader saying this summer that he wants to reopen.  that he knows cases will go up but its worth it,  as hotels, etc are about ready to go under permanently...............and regarding the one month delay the doctor suggests... one month more.  and then next month he will say one month more.  i think the thai leaders have made up thier mind now.  we open up. knowing cases will go up.  end of story...........

Only a wealthy individual or someone enjoying a fat salary would demonstrate so much insensitivity to the masses involved in tourism. There has to be a balance between crushing, punitive, sadistic regulations, and safety protocols. At this rate, the majority of those tourism businesses will never reopen. Why? They will have lost it all. Was it worth it? We never closed before during flu season. And the nation has not closed its highways, even though over 300 people a day die on them. 

An economy can only handle so much mismanagement, sabotage and willful malfeasance, before it responds negatively. Somehow the world considered Thailand to be a credible spot for their investments, up until recently. Despite the (GMC) goombah management council. Now, they see through the facade, they see that Thailand is moving backwards at a breakneck pace, they see that the train is off the tracks, and heading for the forest. And they are fleeing. Good on them. This horrific and toxic administration deserves the punishment and humility. I hope the youth continue to seek the ouster of the incompetent dinosaurs. May their cause prevail. May Thailand finally wake up, and be able to move in a forward direction. 

They do need to open. People will not be flooding in here as travel is not cheap and they must be vaccinated. Also, there is not much open and the uncertainty of the government “changing their mind” would also be a deterrent.

Many businesses will only hesitantly open when hotels start filling which may not even be this year…so start bringing people in I say.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I happen to think he's probably right.  There has been too much rubbish talk from Government Ministers and the likes of Dumb and Dumber at the TAT; all setting 'targets' for this reopening and that reopening and all the Bull about how many hundreds of thousands of Tourists are coming from here, there and everywhere when what's been needed all along is a vibrant and dedicted Vaccine Drive to get the highest possible numbers of the Polpulation Vaccinated before letting in anyone from Abroad, either Vaccinated or not.   If they open up with still low numbers here Vacccinated there could be an explosion of cases within a few weeks.

If it were up to me everything would remain off limits for Tourists from Abroad until January 1st but quite frankly whenever they open i hope Westerners have more brains than to come here and take the risks; as after all, there are plenty of safer places to go much closer to home.   Can't understand why so many Ex Pat's are so keen to open the doors and let thousands of Chinese in with all their filthy habits !

Probably another flip flop after this doctors 2 cents worth based on what!! He gets paid regardless of wether the country is in lock down or whatever so has no thought of some balance between getting the economy going and getting lots of unemloyed people back to work so they can feed their family and pay for medical etc etc or staying locked down.  Yes there will be more covid cases emerging when they open but so has the rest of the world despite lock downs and all the other restrictions. The planet has to go on and cannot sustain these continual lock downs & draconian control measures indefinitely. There will be anarchy, more poverty, more lawlessness, strikes, protests, disruptions, more suicides and so on. 

So we have these supposed professionals making life changing descisions based on what, monitary driven agendas for the elite and Big Pharma!!!  

• Like 1

does that guy know that the cases in Phuket do (mainly) not come from international vaccinated tourists (only 89 out of 30.000 received covid albeit being vaccinated), but local transmission -  so its a local made outbreak whcih has nothing to do with international tourists.

They should realize that the house is on fire because of their own people inside the country, not from outside!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

With no bars open and restaurants only allowing 50% capacity, do not see a problem.

In reality, only YOU are responsible for your health consequences.  If vaccinated and sitting outside at a restaurant you will be fine.  IMO  

New Normal is about protecting yourself, you see a restaurant overcrowded and not following distancing rules, do not go there that day.  We have a couple Russian families here and several individuals I see regularly at my condo that never wear masks (they drive and enter the elevators from 2-4 floors to circumvent security) . If they get on the elevator I am on,  I just exit there and wait for next one  - pretty simple

If we would’ve just had paper masks in the Middle Ages the Black Death would’ve never happened. Imagine how safe in an elevator you are if everyone is wearing one. It’s safer sitting in a restaurant eating with half the tables full, without a mask.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alyx said:

I don’t understand: is this person worried about letting full vaccinated so-called tourists  in Thailand, tested at their own expense thrice and putting them at risk of getting  infected as there are two hundred. contaminations a day ? 
That is altruism !!! ???? 

Dont forget the pcr test before travel.  That’s 4 expensive tests on a double vaxxed so called tourist

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Some sense at last.

TAT wanting to go full steam ahead [didn't work-out too well in Phuket]

doctors and some businessmen saying we're not ready to open

and the CCSA/government in  the middle without a clue.

What didn't work too well in Phuket? 200 cases per day out of 15,000 to 25,000 nationally is pretty damn good. 48 Covid deaths in Phuket since April. Compare this with most regions around the world and it's not bad at all. Here's a great analysis of the Phuket Sandbox data... https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-5-covid-19-deaths-2-sandboxers-drop-in-hospital-beds

Open those tourist and farang provinces on October 1st to help all those small Thai businesses recover.

Let the rest of the country open up as they get their vaccination rates up - they've increased markedly in Hua Hin lately, so expect we'll be fine. Might even better the Phuket Sandbox numbers.

• Like 2