Prominent doctor calls for one-month delay to Thailand’s border reopening

snoop1130

I want to thank all the armchair epidemiologists overruling the esteem doctor's opinion as to what's best for the Thai people. 

Comforting that they know what's better. (Tsk)

How about nee up unless you know what you're talking about instead of what you heard on Fox News from the brilliant mind of Tucker Carlson and his ilk (that's on 24X7). 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You would have to be desperate to travel to Thailand right now, nothing or very little open, lots of the virus around, expensive flights, all sorts of baloney with tests etc. Why would you bother. Thailand has messed up big time as we all know, the way to open up is to vaccinate large numbers of people, until Thailand has done that and opened up bars and restaurants etc, very few holiday makers will come.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Donga said:

Open those tourist and farang provinces on October 1st to help all those small Thai businesses recover.

Yet foreign tourists likely will not come because of bars and entertainment closures. 

Gov. needs to stop using the word Open, and use Partially Open.   

News from TAT and CCSA  needs to stop, they have no power to open of change anything AFAIK

Domestic tourism is much better in Pattaya now on weekends. But in no way are the numbers high enough to help all the small Thai businesses IMO

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I want to thank all the armchair epidemiologists overruling the esteem doctor's opinion as to what's best for the Thai people. 

Comforting that they know what's better. (Tsk)

How about nee up unless you know what you're talking about instead of what you heard on Fox News from the brilliant mind of Tucker Carlson and his ilk (that's on 24X7). 

What are you talking about? One Thai doctor is contradicting the other Thai doctors and epidemiologists advising the government, and you decide to support him. On what basis?

And Fox news? You're got to be kidding me. I'm more interested in helping the millions of working class and small business owners who are doing it so tough. Believe far more Thai people will benefit from partially opening than the vulnerable hundreds who might die if they don't look after themselves. Is not that hard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Donga said:

What are you talking about? One Thai doctor is contradicting the other Thai doctors and epidemiologists advising the government, and you decide to support him. On what basis?

And Fox news? You're got to be kidding me. I'm more interested in helping the millions of working class and small business owners who are doing it so tough. Believe far more Thai people will benefit from partially opening than the vulnerable hundreds who might die if they don't look after themselves. Is not that hard.

He's not contradictingthe other medical professionals. Seems they are all in agreement. And as usual, it's the politicians who are talking out of their....

But yes, time to reopen to fully vaccinated people.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

..... and all the Bull about how many hundreds of thousands of Tourists are coming from here, there and everywhere ....

".... and all the Bull about how many zillions of THB they are spending!"

Let's not forget that obscene and misplaced  obsession with the money!

Edited by gejohesch
forgot sthg
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Troublemakers.

He is right particularly  when we can see in Phuket falangs refusing to get vaccine or going in crowdy shop like Macro wearing their masks under the chin in a provocative way. The Best solution in Phuket is the mandatory sanitary/covid vaccinated pass for all businesses.

3 hours ago, Midwit said:

If we would’ve just had paper masks in the Middle Ages the Black Death would’ve never happened. Imagine how safe in an elevator you are if everyone is wearing one. It’s safer sitting in a restaurant eating with half the tables full, without a mask.  

He is right particularly  when we can see in Phuket falangs refusing to get vaccine or going in crowdy shop like Macro wearing their masks under the chin in a provocative way. The Best solution in Phuket is the mandatory sanitary/covid vaccinated pass for all businesses.

3 hours ago, Midwit said:

If we would’ve just had paper masks in the Middle Ages the Black Death would’ve never happened. Imagine how safe in an elevator you are if everyone is wearing one. It’s safer sitting in a restaurant eating with half the tables full, without a mask.  

There is also one important thing to do particularly in Phuket ,,where the level of vaccination is high, is to impose the health pass everywhere.

I was at Bangla Rd last night.  I'm not a tourist, I work elsewhere in LoS.  Needed to go home, work pays for all the hoop-jumping.   Before I arrived, whilst doing said hoop-jumping (getting very good at it now!) I never would have recommend coming here for just fun.  Inane process.

Now we're here.  It's a ghost-town of course.   But, the resort I'm in costs less than 1/3 what it did before, service is impeccable as there's NO ONE HERE, and the beach is the most beautiful I've ever seen in the last 13 years.  Bangla Rd was VERY fun last night!   I mean, I REALLY, REALLY wish the Missus was not with me.  Mongers heaven.  Even non-mongers would have loved it...  Less than 10% of places are open, but those that are, holy smokes are they crowded!

I, for one, admire and respect the massive middle finger being hoisted towards government inanity by the Patong bar scene.

It is these types of crowds and activities that we're supposed to fear due to COVID risks.   All are open-air.  If COVID truly is so risky for us vaccinated sheeple, there should be DOZENS of foreigner cases in the next 2 weeks after what I saw last night.

Something tells me we are not going to see that.

Open the Gee Dee place up!!!!   Give people something to live for!  Thais of all walks of life deserve their lives back!

I dont really know the issue.....with bars and restaurants closed etc and only recommended Hotels still, I hardly think there will a rush of millions of tourists, if they opened in October and say New Years eve opened bars etc, then maybe life could start,.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I think it is.

So 1.4 billion chinese are dirty and not advisable to allow them in your country ? I think not , as i said just bigotry . I have had experience with hosting Chinese citizens and I find them polite clean and hospitable . 

Have a good day Possum

1 hour ago, n8sail said:

I was at Bangla Rd last night.  I'm not a tourist, I work elsewhere in LoS.  Needed to go home, work pays for all the hoop-jumping.   Before I arrived, whilst doing said hoop-jumping (getting very good at it now!) I never would have recommend coming here for just fun.  Inane process.

Now we're here.  It's a ghost-town of course.   But, the resort I'm in costs less than 1/3 what it did before, service is impeccable as there's NO ONE HERE, and the beach is the most beautiful I've ever seen in the last 13 years.  Bangla Rd was VERY fun last night!   I mean, I REALLY, REALLY wish the Missus was not with me.  Mongers heaven.  Even non-mongers would have loved it...  Less than 10% of places are open, but those that are, holy smokes are they crowded!

I, for one, admire and respect the massive middle finger being hoisted towards government inanity by the Patong bar scene.

It is these types of crowds and activities that we're supposed to fear due to COVID risks.   All are open-air.  If COVID truly is so risky for us vaccinated sheeple, there should be DOZENS of foreigner cases in the next 2 weeks after what I saw last night.

Something tells me we are not going to see that.

Open the Gee Dee place up!!!!   Give people something to live for!  Thais of all walks of life deserve their lives back!

Another renown epidemiologist weighs in on the correct path back for Thailand...tsk

Everyone advocating opening the country with schools closed, hospitals full, the population not even close to vaccinated and covid out of control, should really stick to something they know about, like say mongering. ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Another renown epidemiologist weighs in on the correct path back for Thailand...tsk

Everyone advocating opening the country with schools closed, hospitals full, the population not even close to vaccinated and covid out of control, should really stick to something they know about, like say mongering. ????

According to the government, the population in Phuket IS quite vaccinated!  Albeit with 2nd tier vaccines...  but they do work, much better than nothing, that's for sure.

Where did I say I'm an epidemiologist?  Am I not allowed to express my somewhat informed opinion on why venues that are open to the outside air should be allowed to operate normally as they do in nearly EVERY first world country?

Any air space with 6 air changes per hour or more is VERY low risk.  US CDC, signed off by Fauci himself, has in fact stated this.   How many air changes per hour are there in an outdoor bar??

Fomite transmission is pretty much NOT a factor...  that's been well-proven.  So even touching the same 'coffee' (beer) mug is ridiculously low chance of causing an infection:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

"Quantitative microbial risk assessment (QMRA) studies have been conducted to understand and characterize the relative risk of SARS-CoV-2 fomite transmission and evaluate the need for and effectiveness of prevention measures to reduce risk. Findings of these studies suggest that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection via the fomite transmission route is low, and generally less than 1 in 10,000, which means that each contact with a contaminated surface has less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing an infection 7, 8, 9."

Edited by n8sail
added correct link

6 minutes ago, drenddy said:

You could have told her it's too risky because of Covid, send her back to the room and you, being immune, conducted an epidemiological investigation?

5555 not a bad idea.   Of course she's had 2 SinoPharm jabs AND a Pfizer booster...   to my single J&J, so I think she'll call me out on it.  Can't win if you don't play though, I should give it a go!

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Never going to happen.  30-40% refuse vaccines.  

Look at UK and US

Im from Canada so I'm not too familiar with the anti-vaxxers being so common, but from what I see from friends/locals, most Thai's are very willing to get vaccines. 

10 hours ago, JayBird said:

The purpose of closing the border is to prevent introduction of the virus.

That has already happened.

The purpose of lockdown is to slow the rate of transmission.

Widespread transmission has already happened.

Since the measures in place do not accomplish the goals, there is no need for those measures.

Doing lockdown and border controls correctly is, evidently, not possible.

Therefore open everything.  Transmission will remain close to where it is now, but at least the economy will recover.

Your logic is inherently flawed and your conclusions invalid. The purpose of border closures and lockdowns is to slow the spread. Both of these measures have been effective in slowing down the spread, so by your logic they should stay in place.

• Like 2