COVID-19: Thailand reports 14,555 new coronavirus cases, 171 deaths

webfact

Just now, Sheryl said:

"chronic" disease not "congenital" is what they mean

The colloquial Thai term for chronic disease gets constantly mistranslated from Thai as "congenital" disease (Google Translate does this).

Thanks for the clarification. 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I was quoting our esteemed government. But actually I do agree with the sentiment now that numbers appear to be manageable. Vaccines and sensible protocols are the answer, not further restrictions.

Yes but vaccines can only be counted when they are in arms, particularly of those who most need them (vaccines-not arms, lol)

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Another thread running where the “health vs economy is discussed.” with an article

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-to-reopen-more-regions-to-tourists-by-oct-1-analysts-say-it-is-risky-but

"We believe there could be some risk of higher infections once the country reopens, but it is worthwhile to risk that, given that many livelihoods depend on it," said Ms Yuwanee.

Now the numbers are manageable the balance is now on the side of the economy and hence the peak season opening in line with the vaccination rollout. 

The decision has been made to “learn to live with it” and the forward strategy is based on that,  not delay or going back imo. 

Looks like you're just going to have to "learn to live with" a delay or a going back.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

Looks like you're just going to have to "learn to live with" a delay or a going back.

“Learn to live with it” is alive and well and coming a lot sooner than most predicted. 

Considering the vast majority of pessimistic posters were predicting opening at the end 2022, 2023 etc at the earliest, a few months back when I suggested the country would be open for Xmas, it’s a delay that I am sure will be worth it and one some of us are looking forward to. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

Out of 13,756 local cases (not in prisons) Bangkok 2,911 Samut Prakan 1,110 Chonburi 935 Rayong 636 Ratchaburi 501 Yala 444 Samut Sakhon 387 Prachinburi 367 Nakhon Si Thammarat 354 Saraburi 329 #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1438750218585919489

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

“Learn to live with it” is alive and well and coming a lot sooner than most predicted. 

Considering the vast majority of pessimistic posters were predicting opening at the end 2022, 2023 etc at the earliest, a few months back when I suggested the country would be open for Xmas, it’s a delay that I am sure will be worth it and one some of us are looking forward to. 

Gotta say I’ve yet to see anyone suggesting it would be the end of 2022 or 2023, I have seen them say when the vaccination levels are high enough. 

I’ve got a few friends waiting to come over from the UK but they are firstly waiting for Thailand to be taken off the red list and further waiting for the rule changes that occur when Thailand does reach required targets to be in place to see what they are, until then they are staying firmly put or looking at other options. How about you, will you wait for a bit yet to get to Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

"chronic" disease not "congenital" is what they mean

The colloquial Thai term for chronic disease gets constantly mistranslated from Thai as "congenital" disease (Google Translate does this).

Your mention of mixed medical terms from Phuket reminds me the terms subdermal, subcutaneous and intradermal in reference to injections lately.

Are they technically interchangeable?

4 hours ago, sapson said:

Why are the antigen 1630 positive tests not included in the daily reported figures in this headline by webfact, are they not considered relevant by asean now reporting standards.?

The actual figures released total is 16,185.

Maybe because they will be added to the PCR total in a few days after a positive PCR test. 

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

So the numbers are starting to increase again every day albeit slightly but the signs are there .

These numbers are a drop in the ocean and I regard them as a measure of the number of tests done.

It could sustain 100k new cases per day for 6 months and still only be a small proportion of the population at the end of that 6 months.

Nobody has any clue as to how many people are infected at any one time or who have been previously infected, except for perhaps that one guy who came out and mentioned the 7 million figure. I haven't heard anything from him lately though so he's probably been silenced.

I know of an old man who's hiding away at home with a fever and illness right now, they're not submitting themselves for 'isolation' - these people own houses, buildings and hotels all over the country - they do what they want and will never go to 'tent city'.

• Like 2

Further news on the OP's report re opening up the country:

Opinion: Is Bangkok opening to visitors or not?

CNN Travel raised a question mark over the Thai government’s plans to reopen Bangkok for vaccinated tourists next month, and it’s hard to blame them.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/32803/is-bangkok-opening-to-visitors-or-not/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No no no, that was this mornings news, this is Thailand and you have to keep up with the flips:

Bangkok governor rejects tourism minister’s plan to reopen capital on Oct 15

“The governor expects the 70% full vaccination target to be hit by October 22nd, but the campaign may be sped up if more doses of vaccines are allocated to the city.”

Wow a whole week later. How to make a headline. 

The Forgotten Vaccine: Russia’s Sputnik V in Thailand and Southeast Asia

Despite all the hype and promises, Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine has made few inroads in Southeast Asia.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/09/the-forgotten-vaccine-russias-sputnik-v-in-thailand-and-southeast-asia/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

“The governor expects the 70% full vaccination target to be hit by October 22nd, but the campaign may be sped up if more doses of vaccines are allocated to the city.”

Wow a whole week later. How to make a headline. 

If I were you I would wait for another headline then that says "Bangkok is opening up on the 22nd of Oct" presuming they've got the extra vaccines needed and are able to administer them all in time, oh and as long as they have approval from CCSA meeting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah massive failure.

Since July, 28,000 visitors, 1.6 billion baht raised and only 88 covid cases as of Sept 5th.   

Compared to the predicted figure of 129,000 by the end of September it's a massive failure but personally I'm surprised they attracted as many as they did.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well I guess we were thinking that infections wouldn't be hidden by ATK tests which are not included and that Thailand should wait until 70-80% of the population were fully vaccinated.

Yes course you were. 

Either way you were wrong. ????

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well I guess we were thinking that infections wouldn't be hidden by ATK tests which are not included (and how many thousands are not reported) and that Thailand should wait until 70-80% of the population were fully vaccinated.

We were discussing this in school today for our science session, 70% is the minimum required as you are aware, any less is a recipe for disaster. 

12 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

We were discussing this in school today for our science session, 70% is the minimum required as you are aware, any less is a recipe for disaster. 

I'm aware that 80% + is what is now being said. Things move quickly with the delta variant. This is like a totally different pandemic.