Dear Mr Policeman: Your job is to arrest the bad guys - not engage in PR

rooster59

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Anutin Charnvirakul then denied all knowledge of everything. I think if the Thai press had asked him what his name was, he’d have said “speak to my lawyer”.

or better yet, he'd have said "we are forming a committee to select a name".

• Haha 2

I wish to say I agree 100 percent what you say about the unfortunate female overstayer . 

The Thai Immigration police do not portray as being law upholders as more publicity hunters . 

First world police forces are guilty of that too in combination with the inland revenue normally.

Amnesty is a very dangerous road with drop offs on both sides.

Who gets it why and how will people abuse it are the big ones.  Look at the U.S.  They give amnesty to anyone that can walk swim or crawl across the southern border.  BUT anyone that tries to do it the legal way at an airport is turned down.

I think the idea of the police holding these carnival sideshows has to end.  

The problem with it all is that you are requiring someone to have a brain and think outside the Thai box.

That is the problem here, be it teachers, police, military or most business people.

Theyonly know what they have been taught or seen others do.

How can you expect Thai teachers to be any better than they are considering that they learned everything they know in the Thai school system.

How can you expect a policeman to be any different if that is what he is taught all through his life growing up?

How many times have others asked why something is done a certain way to be told that is how it has always been done.

Or the old we charge extra for Farang because that is the way it is done.

Even the protesters that are in the street seeking a change.  They forget that the only time change has come from the protests is when it got to hot for the elected politicians and the military stepped in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Fair play. Many Thais in authority, particularly education, would only admit to something if they had their heads kindly wrapped in several layers of heavy duty RTP plastic. 

Savage, right on the edge, but amusing nonetheless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My once a year all time favorite is at the end of year, PICTURE of a few dozen Police Chiefs and constables under the Pattaya Walking Street sign, declaring that "there are no prostitutes in Walking Street", we have checked and it's 100% free of any naughty girls.

God forbid that ever becomes TRUE! 

• Like 1

Would it not be better to have an amnesty for long overstayers?

There was, I was in overstay at that point and everyone was warned to fix their overstay before the new regulations came into force... (and the it was extremely widely publicized to where I cannot find anyone that did not hear about it)...  another amnesty would defeat the purpose of tightening the enforcement and only make people think that this will become a regular affair.  If they have been here 10 years, they must have not got their visas in order last time.... that is no fault of the Thai immigration police. 

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Immigration should make a visa for long stayers, instead of renewing every year with a lot of paperwork, and abolish the 90 days report... If you stay for 3 years or longer in Thailand you can apply for the long term visa valid for 5 or 10 years and only go to immigration if there is a change in address, passport, or something. It would be be welcomed by a lot of expats and pensioners and surely be attractive for new people. Ans please stop harrassing the foreigners, with the sometimes stupid laws, as forbidden to play darts, or bridge, or some other games that are normal games in the western world, but everything here is like connected to gambling..There is much more work for the police to do in catching drugsdealers, burglars, thieves, and traffic laws... So please treat people with respect, and understanding, instead of being the christmastree after you caught another one

The requirements for longer stays would have to rise... they request 800,000 baht in the bank to prove you don't need to work.... that requirement would have to rise for longer visas...  what I think they could easily implement is an annual extension that is simply - show me the money in the account (and show me the balance did not suddenly disappear after the last renewal; maybe half that at the midway point??).... but to be quite honest the process has always been fast and easy for me anyway.

• Confused 1

In respect to the scene re-enactments, this is common practice worldwide and does have great benefit for the prosecution case.  In Australia (as a comparison) we do these in certain cases that are serious indictable crimes.  It helps to firm up corroborating evidence, it can also help lead police to identify further evidence at crime scenes.  

To remove this valuable investigative tool on the back of bad crowd control is short-sighted and only appeases those who don't fully understand the ways all sorts of evidence can be accepted and rejected in trials.  

The RTP need to do a much better job in crowd control preparation and execution rather than ditching the re-enactments.  

The grandstanding of the Hungarian woman as well as many other cases that are relatively minor in nature is something I would personally have been embarrassed to present to the media. 

Significant arrests involving serious crimes, high profile incidents and anything considered to be media worthy and in the public interest are generally what we used to release in Oz. 

They also instill public confidence that police are actually making significant arrests.  

Definitely doesn't come across well boasting on camera about arresting some poor down-and-out impoverished Eastern European illegal over-stayer. It infers an underlying xenophobia.  Sure she needs to be processed like anyone, but perhaps discreetly, or at most just a brief article release for media.  

Edited by aussienam
  • Like 2

This Hungarian overstaying widow is brought up again. I know nothing about her apart from what I've stated in the first sentence here. The response to her problems on this forum and in the OP has been extremely prejudiced. Is there any special reason why everyone on here rush to her defence? She could be the most despicable morally corrupt POS person you ever could meet. Or the opposite. We don't know. I'm leaning towards "she needs a solid excuse for that long of an overstay". What were she and her husband up to all those years?

3 minutes ago, androokery said:

This Hungarian overstaying widow is brought up again. I know nothing about her apart from what I've stated in the first sentence here. The response to her problems on this forum and in the OP has been extremely prejudiced. Is there any special reason why everyone on here rush to her defence? She could be the most despicable morally corrupt POS person you ever could meet. Or the opposite. We don't know. I'm leaning towards "she needs a solid excuse for that long of an overstay". What were she and her husband up to all those years?

Perhaps none of our business....????

• Sad 1

Look at the basics. The police are there to up hold the law and enforce those laws. the problem  is that from the top to the bottom the Thai police have no idea what the laws are. They view their job as a means of making an income to look after themselves and family. Until values of law enforcement are instilled into the whole of the police departments it is just another job. Education and intelligence are not a prerequisite and are not a requirement to be a police officer. Buy yourself a job and continue with a system of complete ignorance.

• Like 2

I try and read your column every week as normally it's informative and enjoyable, this week was one of your best. 

Big Joke was the first that I remember with the sheets of plastic boasting about all the illegals they had rounded up.

i have to agree with you regarding most of your comments including the RTP and what has always amazed me is they like the politicians are keen to let all and sundry know what clever people they are! If they hadn't had such a deplorable standard of education they would realise that they were shooting themselves in the foot The question that neither the press nor the Immigration Police had asked themselves was:  Who let the illegals enter the country in the first place. The answer is the same people who are claiming credit for catching them! TIT.

2 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Look at the basics. The police are there to up hold the law and enforce those laws. the problem  is that from the top to the bottom the Thai police have no idea what the laws are. They view their job as a means of making an income to look after themselves and family. Until values of law enforcement are instilled into the whole of the police departments it is just another job. Education and intelligence are not a prerequisite and are not a requirement to be a police officer. Buy yourself a job and continue with a system of complete ignorance.

The real basics. 

Policing systems [everywhere] were created and designed to protect/serve the ruling classes and businesses. 

Still appears to be of this nature [everywhere].

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

There are so many wrongs and difficulties with this weekly column again, so it would be a too time consuming work to engage in everything. Out of that reason I only chose one more ,which we can see above. Why in the world would there be an amnesty for long time overstayers? Here there has been so much information about how the visa system works, they have been giving a lot of leeway in form of numerous possibilities to Covid-extensions. If there are people that still are hiding out somewhere and refuses to adhere to the rules of law, then it´s not time to blame Thailand and immigration. They have themselves to blame for 100 % of their situation.

Just like in many other countries that resurrect campaigns to encourage reductions in crime such as knife and gun crime, they repeat amnesties. So, why can't they do it again?

With overstays falling into the most ' least serious crimes ' category and no doubt this lady contributing to the economy over many years, even if its only her weekly shopping, a lady who has just lost her husband, why can't they look at the amnesty situation again as a sign of goodwill to foreigners?

She isn't tapping in to free social care or healthcare or the welfare system like Thais are able to do in the UK after their marriages fail and they have their shiny new UK passports.

You mention :- . If there are people that still are hiding out somewhere and refuses to adhere to the rules of law, then it´s not time to blame Thailand and immigration.

Rule of law?  The same rule of law used by immigration that nearly crucifies foreigners for bringing in SLIGHTLY over their amount of cigarettes or alcohol at Suvarnabhumi airport but the cops themselves are flying in their tax evading booze and ciggies in police airplanes emblazoned with RTP insignia!!!

The government speaks to us in its announcements almost as though it's our ' duty ' to come and spend money in Thailand despite the flip flopping, ASQ hotels and quarantine, rule changes and xenophobia despite the fact that there is <deleted> all open when you get here, when it suits them, and they do it without shame.

• Thanks 1

The image I have is of a lady, long accustomed to her spouse, now deceased, looking after all the financial affairs.  Now, she is not only helpless, but also victimized by circumstance.  Not a scheming, evil person but an innocent victim.  What if RTP or IB took a different approach and, instead of posting their pseudo-heroic capture of someone flouting the rules?  Wouldn’t a sentimental story of the persons in authority, pooling their resources and helping the poor bewildered lady to find the wherewithal to navigate the complexities of the system and stay evoke an image of the authorities, not only in a good light but even, dare I say it, a more heroic one, one even more worthy of admiration?  Not only opportunity for a really great photo op lost but a chance to burnish the “protect and serve” motto.

Edited by Marpa47