if i buy a folding bike new abroad will thai customs charge me duty to bring bike into kingdom

yogi yogi

Another possibility to consider..

There are several shops selling folding bikes in Bangkok including Brompton, Tern and Dahon brands. So you could buy here.

Also there are quite a few on Lazada, but most not great quality. I recently bought a Pace Tiger folding bike for our 9 y.o. daughter. Not the best, but bad. 

.image.png.2ee7652c5c2ef4d76ec5a3beaea9697c.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because imports are subject to import duty that's nothing to do with purchase taxes outside Thailand!

Yeah, but buying a bike in Thailand and taking it back to your home country isn’t an import, it’s an export, so again, why would Thailand charge him for an export he’s already paid taxes on when he bought it?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

By that logic wouldn't everything you bring in be tax-free?

Ok, I’ve either misread the OP or you did! The way I understood he bought a bike in Thailand and wants to take it back home to his own country. That would make the bike from the Thai customs point of view an export, so why would the Thais charge him any customs?

What's the value of the bike? Cause I found this on the net;

Thailand customs allows visitors to enter Thailand with personal effects, the value of which does not exceed 80,000 Baht, without paying import fees as long as: 1) the items are specifically for personal or professional use; 2) the amount of goods are reasonable; and 3) the items are not subject to restriction or prohibition.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 4:47 PM, ezzra said:

Thai customs are notorious for having a grabby hands and eagerness to levy tax and duties on many items, so take that into account that they almost sure they will...

Yes and No... 

I have brought in loads of stuff (travelling with me on flights) and never been stopped at customs.

Items I’ve brought in: 

- Bike (in a big cardboard box)

- Skis (2 sets - in a big ski-bag)

- Ski Boots - (in a ski boot bag)

- Car Seat (in a big cardboard box)

- Push Chair - IsoFix base and Car seat (in a big cardboard box)

- Motorcycle kit (jacket, trousers etc)

Thus: In all probability, when arriving on a flight with a bike customs do not even raise an eyebrow, however, there always exists the possibility that the Op is stopped (its always a risk). 

Thus: The suggestion to remove all labels, ride the bike, get a bit of dirt on the tyres etc - so the bike looks used. 

If stopped, tell customs its a ‘used bike’ and will travel back to your home country when you return next month etc... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Ok, I’ve either misread the OP or you did! The way I understood he bought a bike in Thailand and wants to take it back home to his own country. That would make the bike from the Thai customs point of view an export, so why would the Thais charge him any customs?

This is the title of the thread: "if i buy a folding bike new abroad will thai customs charge me duty to bring bike into kingdom"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

This is the title of the thread: "if i buy a folding bike new abroad will thai customs charge me duty to bring bike into kingdom"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yes i would bring it in and then take it home.  but i do have stuff in storage in bkk so its possible  i might leave it their.   but most thai customs guys are gonna assume i would take it back home which i probably would do.  NOTE. ITS  a folding bike probably in a regular size suitcase.  so i might have 3 bags total which definately would gain attn from customs guys.  i hope to only bring two bags  total though which customs would not be alerted .  any single guy bringing in three bags of luggage is gonna have to have it xrayed?   and questioned as 3 bags means u are rich?

14 hours ago, phetphet said:

Another possibility to consider..

There are several shops selling folding bikes in Bangkok including Brompton, Tern and Dahon brands. So you could buy here.

Also there are quite a few on Lazada, but most not great quality. I recently bought a Pace Tiger folding bike for our 9 y.o. daughter. Not the best, but bad. 

.looks exactly like the zizzo liberte. i bought in usa for 350 dollars.  how much did your bike cost.. i did buy a folding bike in bkk years ago . the hub wobbled after a day.  i returned to store and after loud shouting match they finally gave my money back minus 1000 baht. and took my passport page photo , i guess to send to authorities .  so im leery of bikes thier,  but i know thier are decent shops in bkk.  somehow i think the prices will be higher in thailand than in usa,  

2 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

I think I paid around THB7800 on Lazada.

I suppose you will have to weigh up the difference in price buying in Bangkok and not having to fly with the bike, to buying outside Thailand, paying all the duties and bringing it with you.

For sure US bikes bought in the USA will be a lot cheaper. Not sure about Britsh (Brompton) or Tern and Dahon which I think are based in Asia, but not sure about that. They might be cheaper than US.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:53 AM, pacovl46 said:
On 9/20/2021 at 4:52 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Because imports are subject to import duty that's nothing to do with purchase taxes outside Thailand!

Yeah, but buying a bike in Thailand and taking it back to your home country isn’t an import, it’s an export, so again, why would Thailand charge him for an export he’s already paid taxes on when he bought it?

His plan is to import a bike into Thailand.

No one's suggested that Thailand will charge duty for taking something out of Thailand but buying a bike in Thailand and and taking it back to wherever would be an import with duty assessible in the home country!

18 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I read this very early in the morning and the kingdom part threw me off. My bad! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

His plan is to import a bike into Thailand.

No one's suggested that Thailand will charge duty for taking something out of Thailand but buying a bike in Thailand and and taking it back to wherever would be an import with duty assessible in the home country!

Yeah, after reading  the OP again I realized I’ve misread the article. My bad! ????

21 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

Pack it in a suitcase.  nobody will even look at it.

yes in my town a box making company is near by.  i didnt know this but custom size boxes are dirt cheap like 300 baht .   so i will put in a box and bring.  but customs might look if i have 3 bags total?how many single men bring 3 bags.  customs will look for sure if i have 3  bags 

I brought bicycles to Thailand as hold baggage no hassle I used to get GIANT at factory prices in TPE

In fact in near 24 years I have had 1 hassle with customs where I had a bluetooth speaker totally within personal allowance in a box when they had some kind of "Welcome to Customs Thailand" crackdown at BKK and there were lines of mostly Indian people to be fleeced with the customs dept. assisted by English speaking interns/ students. These trader guys had bales of clothes or something.

• I pay some 800 or 1000 baht honestly I forgot. A sum pulled out of thin air
  • I let them take my goods
  • I was welcome to  "go back to your country"

You are always taking a risk with goons like they would happily just let you rot in jail while somebody higher up takes a few weeks to affirm their decisions.  You cant argue Thai law with them its pointless.