if i buy a folding bike new abroad will thai customs charge me duty to bring bike into kingdom

yogi yogi

Yes they will. If you were shipping it with other personal belongings that were old and you took it out of the box and scuffed it a little bit, then you might get away with it. I think also to avoid tax you might need at least a non-immigrant visa. I moved a tonne of stuff over here and the shipping company needed a copy of my visa so that I would not get taxed.

• Like 1

I have brought two folding bicycles into Thailand from abroad. They were both used but appeared new. I did not box or wrap them. Baggage handlers, knowing what they were dealing with, took excellent care, and customs seems to have cared less.

I subsequently flew several times with one of them, again unboxed and not wrapped, and it always arrived unscathed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Take it for a ride. Fold it up take it and pay for extra oversized baggage in a box. Collect at Thai airport put box on baggage cart, go through green channel and casually ask them if they would like to X-ray it.  Probably get away with it. 

second this, but don't talk to them. Never invite a QnA with jobsworths! I'd make point of laying it on the x-ray belt tho, they'll likely wave you through as you've broken their 'radar thought process' if they're looking for such. I'd also get some muck on it, but make it natural from going out on a track or ten.

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

I wrapped my bike too good with bubble wrap once, and the customs officer said the bike was brand new, so I had to show the dirt in the tire, so appearance matter

i will ride it and scratch it up a bit and put some dirt on it  thanks

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I agree with @VocalNealtake it out for a ride, get some dirt on the wheels.

Don't ship it in the original box, go but a bike case.

Then 'if' you got stopped you'd be on slightly firmer grounds arguing that it wasn't new.

Also, since I work for an airline, the bike case is a helluva lot better protection for that pricy bike than having it chucked about by the rampers in a cardboard box

For folding bikes it is possible to buy a bike bag, but as GinBoy2 says, a bike case will give better protection.

Of course, if you are travelling with no other luggage or just a back pack, you could probably just unfold it, wheel it out through Customs and ride off into the  sunset.

• Haha 2

Why would Thai customs charge you? If any taxes are on the bike you’ve already paid them when you bought it! 

Your own country will charge you most likely, though, depending on how much the bike is worth and where the limit is on what value you can bring back duty free.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Maybe its changed the last few years as so many other things but I have had with in and out road bikes in a bike case on many occasions and never had an issue. Also on the same occasions brought with me relatively expensive wheels in the cabin in a wheel bag.

Felt

Edited by Felt 35

Make sure it is well used before traveling and get a bike bag. Under no circumstances keep it in its delivery packaging. If it was me I would buy one in Thailand and yes Thai customs will try to levy duty and other charges including an import licence. Under no circumstances involve a courier as they are in cahoots with Customs. We got all our household stuff delivered in 8 boxes in a container by a removal firm/shipping agent from the UK without any duty or licence without any of the boxes being opened but it took 6 mths

Edited by chilly07
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, chalawaan said:

second this, but don't talk to them. Never invite a QnA with jobsworths! I'd make point of laying it on the x-ray belt tho, they'll likely wave you through as you've broken their 'radar thought process' if they're looking for such. I'd also get some muck on it, but make it natural from going out on a track or ten.

Better not have muck on it if you enter Australia.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, yogi yogi said:

title is the question.  the bike would be new brought in on flight

Yes, it would be assessable for import duty, just the same as if you had it shipped in from an overseas seller... that's if you cannot sneak it in past Customs.

If there's a serious discussion with Customs about whether it's new or not they will undoubtably ask you for a receipt to prove where and when you bought it if you claim is not new.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

OP said "bring a bike" into the kingdom. If you ship it, you will most likely be charged duty. If you bring as luggage on a flight, just tell the immigration inspector you bought it in Thailand.

When travel was simple, I regularly shipped my beloved Schwinn to the states and back, every trip. I was only questioned once and when I told the inspector, "I bought in Thailand," he waved be on, having done his duty, probably not wanting to bother with the paperwork.

Edited by HappyExpat57
brevity

Just now, HappyExpat57 said:

OP said "bring a bike" into the kingdom. If you ship it, you will most likely be charged duty. If you bring as luggage on a flight, just tell the immigration inspector you bought it in Thailand.

When travel was simple, I regularly shipped my beloved Schwinn to the states and back, every trip. I was only questioned once and when I told the inspector, "I bought in Thailand," he waved be on, having done his duty, probably not wanting to bother with the paperwork.

yes but others have mentioned paperwork. the bike only cost me 400 us dollars...............i have bought a folding bike in thailand before . the rear hub broke in a week on it.  this was years ago.  to be blunt i think better deals on bikes can be had in usa not thailand. they are all made in china anyway............im not keen on bringing paper work.  its a used bike once you ride it a bit.  i have been charged with duty once in all my travels into kingdom...............i brought in some rugs from india once.  i was stayng in bkk for a few days and then traveling on.  they demanded a duty on them.  had to relent.  i mean u cant really negotiate with customs.  the rugs were new.  

I brought my bike as a third piece of luggage in an oversized Giant Bicycles branded cardboard box, as i I discovered  my second hand bike case bought online didnt fit..the day before my flight. Pushing a cart with two large suitcases and a carryon, and dragging the big bike box, I just got a glance going through customs. This was in 2016

As a tourist you can bring sports equipment duty free, with the intention of taking it back home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Buy a bike when you get to Thailand.  Probably a lot cheaper.

The quality of locally produced bicycles in Thailand is not nearly as good.

If it's a name brand bike like Specialized, Trek, Giant, Bianchi, etc the price in Thailand for the same exact bike is much higher than the same bike somewhere in the west.  

I've brought a lot of bikes into and out of Thailand many times over the years.  I've used both soft sided and hard sided cases.  I wouldn't suggest using a cardboard bike box as that might trigger the customs people into thinking the bike is new as that is what new bikes arrive in.  Regardless of which case I use I always pack the bike in foam pipe insulation on the top tube, down tube, seat stays, forks, etc. for both road and mtn bikes.  I also use bubble wrap for the derailleurs and handle bars.  My word of advice is if you are buying a new bike abroad make sure to get out and ride it a few times.  Make sure you get it a little bit dirty.  Don't clean the bike before packing.  You want it to look used!

A lot of good advice on here. I've brought 2 used bikes in on different occasions, both in cardboard bike boxes that I grabbed out of the bin of my local bike shop (different brand from bike). First time was pre covid when Arrivals were busy (Don Muang), just waltzed through. 2nd time was mid March 2020, arrivals quiet, customs officer stopped me and asked if it was new, I didn't have to lie when I smiled and said no, its years old, and he took my word on it without me having to pull it out. Good luck.

• Like 1