All the issues with Thailand

Boarn

7 minutes ago, Maybole said:

5 years ago my local butcher in Rural Scotland charged £7.50 (Thb330) per kg for beef mince. Here in Chiang mai last week, I paid Thb270 for the same thing from a halal butcher.

That's magic, being able to get halal mince.  

And only GBP 6 per kilo?
No wonder so many people choose to live in Thailand in their dotage, when Tesco's finest Aberdeen Angus is GBP 8 / kg. and for all I know, it might not be halal.

9 hours ago, Boarn said:

I have no idea what attracts people to Thailand now, if you've moved recently, why? I would genuinely like to know!

I came in December of 2020 and began to build out a second-home in Bangkok. Had lived/worked in various Asian cities in the past. I chose Bangkok because it has grown into a developed enough metropolis to have the amenities and offerings that I want, and the value proposition - my lifestyle per dollar spent - was really good.

It's also a central hub to places that I want to visit often and/or explore. Four hours or less flying to Southeast Asia and Taiwan/Hong Kong, and under six hours to Korea/Japan.

I also appreciate that I'm more free to just be myself here than in Canada - my other home - where folks are always subtly trying to enforce 'Canadian values.'

One of the interesting things I've noticed from spending some time on this board is that some of the things that attracted me to the city are the same things longtime residents dislike. I haven't quite worked through the implications of that observation, but there might be an interesting takeaway there.

I'm also frequently surprised to see comments about Bangkok becoming expensive, when I still see it as very good value relative to what else is out there in the world.

7. Fun cars are too expensive.

This is bang on tho. The <deleted> import tax is some bs. If you want to protect your domestic industry like, ok, but then could you at least build something domestically that isn't a lame econobox or pickup truck? :sick:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Cipher said:

This is bang on tho. The <deleted> import tax is some bs. If you want to protect your domestic industry like, ok, but then could you at least build something domestically that isn't a lame econobox or pickup truck?

Not a problem for most of Thailand's 69+ million inhabitants, and they are what is important, no?

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not a problem for most of Thailand's 69+ million inhabitants, and they are what is important, no?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. My comment was tongue in cheek, but the censorship of '????ffing' made it sound more serious than how I meant it.

I just take the tax as motivation to get my net worth high enough that the tax irrelevant. "฿18M for an AMG GT? Whatevs."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been seeing that sort of comment a lot on the forum recently, but perhaps such posters live in a different Thailand than I did. In all my years visiting and living in LOS I never ever experienced xenophobia. I experienced a lot of other problems, such as ever increasing bureaucracy at immigration, and the usual incompetence by those "in charge" ( not something unique to Thailand ), but can't say I ever thought I was being disadvantaged by "xenophobia".

If we use the definition as provided by google ;

dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

I have seen a lot of that in other countries, but Thailand, in my experience, was lacking that particular problem.

If you look behind the smile, you will find it, it's there, that or I am just paranoid, or perhaps I am using the wrong word, maybe jealousy could be a replacement, or an addition, either way i find both exist as much as paranoia does.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boarn said:

Not true, the thrill was the price and what people would do for basically nothing, they won't anymore.

So to summarise,  your gripe is that because the standard of living has risen for much of the population, your "thrill" at being able to exploit people less fortunate than yourself for your personal gratification has been diminished.

Good grief!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2021 at 1:24 PM, puchooay said:

The last time I looked at their website I noticed many items were branded.

I then checked the brand names on Google and went straight to the supplier.

I have to disagree with your comment

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

5 years ago my local butcher in Rural Scotland charged £7.50 (Thb330) per kg for beef mince. Here in Chiang mai last week, I paid Thb270 for the same thing from a halal butcher.

Kindly let me know the name and location,

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's a personal point of expense a 25 baht plate of noodles is still 25 baht not more expensive. 

If working here, yes. If bring money in from abroad, noodles are still 25 baht, but up 40 odd percent in real cost. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I first came to Thailand 50 years ago, assigned to NKP as a tech rep to the AF.  I fell in love with Thailand at that time, especially the food, but, as I worked 16 hours a day during a 1-year period, I did not get to fully experience the rest of Thailand and what it had/has to offer.  I convinced my family (wife and young daughter) to take an assignment to Bangkok.  Again, I fell in love with what was offered.  My family at first totally hated it as the culture was so different to them (they had spent the year that I was in NKP on an island in MD).  But, after 6 months here they both agreed that life was much more exciting here in Thailand.  They liked it so much that we spent the next 25 years in other countries, but several times we also were able to get several more assignments to Bangkok.  Each time we noted the BIG changes noted as progress in local media, but as usual not so much to our

liking.  But based on other assignments when I retired, I decided that Thailand was still #1 on my list.

My farang wife passed away and although I had no plans to remarry, I did so and to a Thail. With her we have a daughter who is now 17 and just about ready to go to the US for college.  At first my wife and I planned to take her back and return to our house here but embassy advised that since my wife doesn't work, their interview would indicate that she probably wouldn't return so they said we had to do an immigrant visa.  We are working on that now.  I still love Thailand, now much older and remembering the cold, snowy winters, summer storms of many types, etc, costs other than utilities and most foods I eat are much cheaper here (I think but since I haven't gone shopping in the US for so long, not sure but do know that Thai food in the US is much more expensive as are utilities, especially electricity both summer and winter.  Gasoline and vehicles though are much more expensive here than in the US.  I could easily live in the US on my retirement but like I keep saying, even with the negative changes here, I still love it though I do miss some of the US too..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Boarn said:

Further to my original post.

The issue is not change, it's how it's changed.

Let's say they closed your favorite location, that may be the pool places on Soi 7, this is not replaced with something similar, it's going to be a condo block. That is not suitable change.

If you heard someone say, wow they just opened a new place on Soi 11, it's even cheaper than xyz, yes I would like this change. But it's not happened this may.

That's with many things in LOS, today it is there, tomorrow it is disappeared, and nobody know to where.

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

As compared to the price where? It's not expensive if the same plate of noodles costs you $10 back home... 

I was comparing the price here. Before the baht was 75 to the pound, it went down by 40 odd percent, so that make it more expensive by 40 percent.

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

I have lived there from 1998 until 2010, and have the same experience. I'll never go back for living there.

Such shame I think letting Phuket be messed up like that. 

I guess Pattaya been like the way it is for a long time and going there for a night is a bit more fun seeing all the carry on. 

Again I would never want to live there. 

They both have there quiet places but again not for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you look behind the smile, you will find it, it's there, that or I am just paranoid, or perhaps I am using the wrong word, maybe jealousy could be a replacement, or an addition, either way i find both exist as much as paranoia does.

What I see on that subject is this: farang can tend to get angry and "go off" in very impolite ways and make large public displays of their often unjustified anger in ways that a Thai never would. This is witnessed as a great embarrassment and for some Thai, having to deal w/a farang, they are afraid that the farang is going to get angry... for whatever reason, reasonable or not.. 

i.e. - An old farang in the mall screaming wildly at a bank manager [who should be respected] about an ATM card - which has not been replaced for a year - - and I think it might have been at a bank from his home country... and had nothing to do w/the bank manager he was berating loudly in public.. 

people screaming at customer service people whose job it is to report the problem and cannot fix their home internet from the mall. 

I did see a farang very patiently explain to a customer service rep how they would do the job properly in his home country, [in case she should ever want to go there and get a job???] At least he wasn't making a scene, just giving a stupid, disconnected lecture to a young lady who was just doing her job.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Such shame I think letting Phuket be messed up like that. 

I guess Pattaya been like the way it is for a long time and going there for a night is a bit more fun seeing all the carry on. 

Again I would never want to live there. 

They both have there quiet places but again not for me. 

It will always changing, I never forget when I come for the first time to Phuket also that time somebody told me it was changed and not as before...

Everything is relative.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I was comparing the price here. Before the baht was 75 to the pound, it went down by 40 odd percent, so that make it more expensive by 40 percent.

I don't think that's a fair assessment it wasn't 75 for long. 

Exchange rates is not the way to look at price rises in Thailand in my book. 

• Like 1