All the issues with Thailand

Boarn

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Geez, who ever told you that everything remains the same? Things change!

It seems like many of your complaints are easily solved - - - if you just had more money. 

The world changes - - if everything had remained the same, you would complain abt the deterioration and lack of modernization... 

That's not quite true, the issue is not not being able to afford something, it's that you can't get that same thrill than you could. Yes things change but as a 16 year old I found Thailand as I wished it to remain, I had no idea it would change so much away from where I found it. Change but don't transform is what I'm trying to say.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

If you stay here and experience the rising cost of living then it seems it is not as cheap as it used to be.

A long holiday to your home country should put this into better perspective.

In the UK , to put a tent up in a camp site a common charge now is 12 pounds per person. 24 pounds for 2 people or about 1000 baht a night .................  for a tent in a field.  Here , even in Bangkok , 1000 a night will get you a nice hotel.

My sister pays 250 pounds a month for her community charge. That is , rubbish collection , street lights etc.. Here we pay just 20 baht.

Petrol there is twice as much.

Etc etc etc.  A trip back to your own country can sometimes boggle the mind because it is so expensive. So much so that when you get back here you really appreciate that it is still a lot cheaper than back there.

That might be an idea, get things back into perspective, not been back to the UK for 13 years!

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

???? Sounds like your thinking about  it. 

Since 2003 when our house was built things have improved no end for us where we live. 

You opinion seems based mainly on one place Bangkok and some islands there's much more to Thailand, I wouldn't live in Bkk if you pay me. 

I would say some people still find things OK there only the pandemic has mess things up. 

Haha yes, no I no longer live in Bangkok, everywhere I used to frequent, well 90%, of places are no longer there and they were not replaced with something similar, just a big condo block. 

• Like 2

Further to my original post.

The issue is not change, it's how it's changed.

Let's say they closed your favorite location, that may be the pool places on Soi 7, this is not replaced with something similar, it's going to be a condo block. That is not suitable change.

If you heard someone say, wow they just opened a new place on Soi 11, it's even cheaper than xyz, yes I would like this change. But it's not happened this may.

• Like 1

it was bound to change, every time there is a good deal, they go away as soon as the news spread, and it did spread for Thailand, huge inflows of farangs between 2000 and 2006, prices eventually had to go up fueled by economic activity and high growth

if you want cheap, it's Cambodia and Laos, but guess what, it was a great deal back in 2010, now it's catching up too ????

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

it was bound to change, every time there is a good deal, they go away as soon as the news spread, and it did spread for Thailand, huge inflows of farangs between 2000 and 2006, prices eventually had to go up fueled by economic activity and high growth

if you want cheap, it's Cambodia and Laos, but guess what, it was a great deal back in 2010, now it's catching up too ????

Yes, I attempted Cambodia for a few months back in 2009 after Thailand started on it's path to now. I liked most things just the lack of suitable accommodation put me off, maybe now that's changed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not a problem if you have more money.

This isn't the fix though, paying more in Thailand for things that were cheap doesn't fix the feeling or the thrill. It's easy to pay more money but I find the more I spend the less I enjoy the experience, I found the thrill I got was the price being so cheap. This is regardless of how much money you have.

The last time I was out in Bangkok for the night I was 20k out of pocket, yes it was a good time but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it cost 5k like it used to.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Denim said:

When they closed the original Thermaes I cried for days.

Yes, it was already over run with Japanese but nonetheless...... they will be bulldozing Hualampong station unless we protest.

first night in Bangkok in 1968 i visited Thermae after hours, remember it well was my first physical encounter in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

first night in Bangkok in 1968 i visited Thermae after hours, remember it well was my first physical encounter in Thailand

Yup....down the stairway to heaven .

Thermae Cafe / Bangkok / Sukhumvit / Prostitute Area |Thailand Night Guide

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

I did not read about the ever changing immigration requirements.

That was certainly true in Chiang Mai.

RE the OP, nothing ever stays the same, and my country bears no resemblance to the one I grew up in.

The secret is being able to adapt to change eg if Bkk is no longer worth it, move elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Boarn said:

5. Houses for sale in developments usually come with no land.

6. Land prices are absurd.

7. Fun cars are too expensive.

The above probably apply in many countries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boarn said:

1. Bangkok is no longer Bangkok, all the best places are gone and new condos in place.

---- Thailand is much bigger than Sukhumvit.

2. Overdevelopment at certain island retreats remove from the character. 

---- Plenty of peaceful islands if you look for them.

3. Cheap only if you liked being bored, yes it's cheaper to be bored in Thailand than bored back in the West.

---- Only boring people feel bored.

4. Entertainment is so expensive, a night out in 'Bangkok' runs 4x to 5x want it did in 2005.

---- Not true.

---- Also not true. There's more to Thailand than just a couple of cities.

---- Land is a great long-term investment.

---- You'll get what you're willing to pay for.

8. The sky train in Bangkok is more than Mo Chit to On Nut.

---- How is this a bad thing?

9. Whimsical government schemes start to grate when related to foreigners.

---- Ignore them.

10. A huge change in foreigner 'demographics'.

---- Too many dark-skinned people for you?

11. Inconsiderate neighbors, burning, cooking with wood, spraying trees with fertilizer etc.

---- Only if you live in a redneck backwater.

12. Cheap only if you like pork or chicken, not cheap if you prefer beef and lamb.

---- Cheapskate.

13. The Thailand I moved to no longer exists in so many ways.

---- Things change. Don't expect everything to stay the same.

14. Annoyance of immigration rules which used to be a worthwhile yearly hassle now seem to be over burdensome for benefits accrued.

---- That's always been the case -- unless you play by the rules, then it's simple.

15. The playing field has shifted away from Western expats.

---- Because you're not in Kansas anymore. Maybe you should return to the West.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

1. Bangkok is no longer Bangkok, all the best places are gone and new condos in place.
Lot of new places, think you focus too much on Sukhumvit.

2. Overdevelopment at certain island retreats remove from the character. 
Happens everywhere, go to another island.

3. Cheap only if you liked being bored, yes it's cheaper to be bored in Thailand than bored back in the West.

4. Entertainment is so expensive, a night out in 'Bangkok' runs 4x to 5x want it did in 2005.

Enough land for sale outside the big cities.

8. The sky train in Bangkok is more than Mo Chit to On Nut.
This looks to be a good thing from my point of view.

9. Whimsical government schemes start to grate when related to foreigners.
Don't understand what you mean by this.

10. A huge change in foreigner 'demographics'.
For some people it is a problem that it isn't whites only anymore.

11. Inconsiderate neighbors, burning, cooking with wood, spraying trees with fertilizer etc.
Move to a better neighborhood.

12. Cheap only if you like pork or chicken, not cheap if you prefer beef and lamb.

13. The Thailand I moved to no longer exists in so many ways.
Every country changes.

14. Annoyance of immigration rules which used to be a worthwhile yearly hassle now seem to be over burdensome for benefits accrued.
Never had a problem with immigration. 

15. The playing field has shifted away from Western expats.
For some people it is a problem that it isn't whites only anymore.

I get the impression that some posters never leave Bkk.

I agree with everything except your comment about the sky train as I don't know why it would be a good thing.

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I didn't like it. I never got to see the appeal, but I only ever got to visit the new place. Apparently the original was better.

I tried the new place once. It was enough. Thermaes in name only. Nothing at all like the original.

One of things I liked about the old place ( and there were many ) was that even if I was gone a year I would go back and see all the same waiters and bar staff. And amazingly, if you had been a regular and left a few tips over time , they remembered you and acknowledged your return with a wry smile and speedy service. Loved the jukebox too.

These two songs will always remind me of old T's :

Last plane to London....just taking off.

It seemed like every time I opened the door to go in this was playing :

This video just sooooooooooo captures the Thermaes vibe of that era.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1