Insure your self or die

bubblegum

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

100k baht a year at 63, better to keep it and nip back to the Leicester Royal Infirmary when the need arises. 

The flights there back and the staying in the country would surpass that 100K Baht easily, unless it was after a 5 year period of saving the premiums, but then anything can happen to someone at anytime, and even flying back for treatment might not be doable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, itsari said:

I have only had one experience of both private and government .

The government hospital was by far the best treatment. 

Clear difference was that the private hospitals are well overpriced and more comfortable . 

why was the govt hospital better?

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, just give me the figures of price for uninsured foreigner for two things:

Lung cancer operation

Kidney transplantation

After that you are also free to write if you consider the prices cheap and it will be wise to be uninsured with a low income and no means to handle expensive treatment just because you use a government hospital. It sure sounds like you do. 

Take a look your self on the different prices between the two entities and then tell me i am wrong .

What financial situation i am in has nothing to do with what I am saying and quite frankly that has nothing to do with you either.

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Do not stay in a country without insurance if you do not have the money to pay. If you can´t afford insurance. Stay home!

My insurance back home was $500/month with a $5,000 deductible, and they only paid 80% after that. Much cheaper here.

Staying home was not a good option.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, timendres said:

And how many people died today with insurance?

The real risk is not death.

The real risk is having a lifetime of savings wiped out by a serious illness.

that is exactly what happens in the usa and healthcare/insurance  over and over .. you are better off poor in this situation 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, timendres said:

And how many people died today with insurance?

The real risk is not death.

The real risk is having a lifetime of savings wiped out by a serious illness.

The answer to that is keep your savings in the bank of your home country and only enough for your living expenses here in Thailand. They can't take what you haven't got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bubblegum said:

That's what basically happened to a friend of mine. No money for ICU, no money for a transfer from Surin hospital to BKK. By, by die !

That's unfortunately how it is - no money, no honey - if you cannot accept that, you should stay home in you home country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, its the same all over the world, there isn't really any such thing as free healthcare, its either tax funded, insurance funded or personally funded. 

I don't think any insurance is going to pay for a transfer from Surin to bangkok.

Of course not, they use legal jargon and small print to try and avoid paying out claims. If Thailand and other countries without "free" healthcare could arrange a fair insurance only using public hospitals which lasts until you die, that would be the way to go.

• Like 1

As one who had major cancer surgery scheduled at a government hospital but had to have at a major private hospital can give an example of cost several years ago:

Government 80,000 plus medications and room if available.

Private 1,000,000 all included.

Government hospital team was recommended by private hospital doctor but was unable to operate due no ICU available - wait for new queue would have been months (and cancer was advancing so not an option).

So yes both government and private fill needs.  And you do not always have a good choice.  Insurance is highly desirable for that reason alone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Just get travel insurance which will cover preexistings the only drawback being cover stops when you are capable of being repatriated which they pay for. Cover possible 75 plus.

Not much use if you're living away from your home country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

100k baht a year at 63, better to keep it and nip back to the Leicester Royal Infirmary when the need arises. 

You think the NHS will save you? I worked for the NHS and had 2 friends get cancer in their 50s. Both were dead within a year.

The problem with private hospitals vs government hospitals argument is assuming that you will have a choice. If you have a medical emergency and end up at a private hospital, you’re assuming that you’ll be in a stable condition with time on your side to “hospital shop” for the best rates for your care. 

It’s why insurance is important. Sure you can pay for scheduled surgeries and shop around for operations at the best rates because you’re paying cash, but that logic doesn’t work if you’re in a medical emergency and need care immediately and at the closest facility. 

3 hours ago, fredscats said:

Why the hell anyone would stay in Thailand for that lot,  yes number one  a punter I knew  100 quid a week,utterly useless went back home quick quick,another same thing    did a Go fund me    still went back quick quick,wasted more bucks than soft Joe on insurance   There are many things not included in insurance,unlimited aftercare for one,specified time only

Just had peek at kidney transplant price  nearby country     8000 quid   think Ill pay out of own pocket thanks  then a plane to back 'ome

The big problem here is that you never understood or bothered to read my initial post in this thread. I that post I wrote following:

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Do not stay in a country without insurance if you do not have the money to pay. If you can´t afford insurance. Stay home!

If you did not understand what you read, I will make it simple. What I mean is that you should not be uninsured if you can not pay. That also means if you can not even pay for and insurance you should stay home. What in the world is wrong with that? That @itsari do not get that a person who can´t pay 2-4k for an insurance depending one the age factor is not my problem. Anyway, thank for checking up the 8k price. Maybe itsari will get it now. ????

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Take a look your self on the different prices between the two entities and then tell me i am wrong .

What financial situation i am in has nothing to do with what I am saying and quite frankly that has nothing to do with you either.

As everything you try to say to me, has nothing to do with my first post you mean. Never said that you can´t pay if you have the money.

22 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

The problem with private hospitals vs government hospitals argument is assuming that you will have a choice. If you have a medical emergency and end up at a private hospital, you’re assuming that you’ll be in a stable condition with time on your side to “hospital shop” for the best rates for your care. 

It’s why insurance is important. Sure you can pay for scheduled surgeries and shop around for operations at the best rates because you’re paying cash, but that logic doesn’t work if you’re in a medical emergency and need care immediately and at the closest facility. 

If you are conscious after a accident make sure the ambulance driver takes you to the hospital you want . Often the driver will take you to a private hospital where he will get money for his troubles when you are a foreigner . 

The law says they are meant to take you to the nearest government hospital . 

• Thanks 1