Insure your self or die

bubblegum

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

What annoys me is that you among others always think that saying go back home is the answer.

Those are not my words.

What to do about my Thai family plus all the assets here in Thailand.

That you have to answer yourself.

Before suggesting to people that they should go back to the country they came from, think about what happens IF they go back.

Again, those were not my words, I did say however that those that cannot afford insurance should not be here. The meaning of that is, when you move to another country, one should plan and take insurance into consideration, if that insurance expires due to age and one cannot get insurance then plan B should be in place, i.e. funds in the bank to self insure.

If one has put all of their eggs in one basket and cannot afford insurance then they will have to deal with what comes.

I could say that my wife and kids can rely on the 30 baht scheme, but I will admit, the hospitals I have seen are not fit for the purpose they were built, call me a snob, I don't mind, but having enough money which I took into consideration when I planned my move here, for insurance, for me and my family means that at least I am comfortable to know we will receive good treatment, not at our expense, but at the expense of the insurer and if we don't make a claim, all the better, but to me insurance is a must, we don't all think alike and that's ok.

I am not misguided by insurers and claims not being made for a number of reasons, but as long as you read the policy thoroughly and adhere to it's guidelines you shouldn't have any problems.

While living here, I will continue to insure, and if they cut me after a certain age, which the policy states they won't as long as you joined before age 60, then I will continue, but policies change and if they do cut me, I will use plan B and self insure until we go back to my homeland as we can then be under the government public hospital system which is as good as the private system here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

same as Kev in Pattaya (hello people) he spent over 50k pounds having treatment for it here and still died in about a year. I do get treated here for minor things, but anything serious I would be off back home. Would rather leave the money to the Mrs than line Doctors pockets here with it.

It was sheer stupidity Kev staying here,especially the BPH,most expensive hospital on the planet,there are other cancer hospitals not far off the one he chose  far cheaper too.  He knew he was going to die straight from the off,but he put on a show

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The flights there back and the staying in the country would surpass that 100K Baht easily, unless it was after a 5 year period of saving the premiums, but then anything can happen to someone at anytime, and even flying back for treatment might not be doable.

Would be doable,some airlines take 2 strecher cases per flight

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The big problem here is that you never understood or bothered to read my initial post in this thread. I that post I wrote following:

If you did not understand what you read, I will make it simple. What I mean is that you should not be uninsured if you can not pay. That also means if you can not even pay for and insurance you should stay home. What in the world is wrong with that? That @itsari do not get that a person who can´t pay 2-4k for an insurance depending one the age factor is not my problem. Anyway, thank for checking up the 8k price. Maybe itsari will get it now. ????

You put up two instances    Lung Cancer

Kidney transplant

Have u ever witnessed anybody (farang) having any of the operations you stated? ,insurance or no insurance? I have  You would be in no fit state to continue being in Thailand after the operation,you may just get the operation a bit quicker having insurance ,thats all,no meaningful aftercare,just hanging on for a short time for the inevitable   Once diagnosed,a speedy exit

• Like 1

Headline is truth in advertising at its best!

I was a semi-sceptic, until pneumonia with complications nearly killed me and cost almost $20K USD for 12 days at Medical City in Clark PI.

Insurers paid in full and promptly. The gamble that you can dollar cost average out the savings of every year you don't need to claim, by not buying it -then dipping into your pot if needed- is a mugs game.

Check the price list for some basic heart surgery, you often go where the closest care is available in an emergency, and if you're anywhere near Sukhumvit, all the options are super expensive, it only goes supernova from there if its complicated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swissman53 said:

If you have many pre-existing conditions, it is not worth to get insurance. You will pay the full price, and if you need to go to the hospital, you will see most costs in a pre-existing self pay ....I put that money what I would pay for insurance in a special account and will use that for paying the hospital or transport to my home country

I hope you have at least a million in western currency, set aside, minimum!

Also, medevacs only happen if they are absolutely necessary, and you would likely not be in any shape to demand one, or if you could talk it would be up to your doctors in consult with the insurers qualified medical assessors, also doctors, not you.

Same with paying out of pocket, if you can't afford a private jet now, imagine renting one with a medical team, assuming you are well enough to arrange it! Obviously not! But say you could, they, the medics, then have to overnight in your country when you've been handed over, and return to Thailand, all at your expense! No airline will carry you if you stagger up to the check-in looking like you might die at any moment! I don't think you've thought this through much.

They are usually only used to take you from places like Nepal to Bangkok, not Bangkok to Zurich! People completely misunderstand the protocols surrounding medevac and in many cases its not worth even paying for that "perk" even if you can afford to, since its rarely used unless you are in the wilderness when you get sick or broken. 

I was on a plane from Bali once and Qantas curtained off a few rows down the back of a scheduled flight for some young bloke who was out cold. They loaded him and the medics through the back cabin door, he got no Bombardier private jet flying clinic! And as he had a medical team with him, it still likely cost a fortune.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So what can people with no money pay the premiums with, turnips? 

Like the headline says, if you're not able to access your home social medicine, in other words, you are living uninsured abroad, you die. That's honestly the best outcome.

Or would you like to wake up, find you lost both legs in a local crash, and the bill is $200,000 and rising with your rehab and recuperation? If you cannot afford to be here, I would not condescend to suggest you should go home, but your options are bleak should a fate worse than death happen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

You put up two instances    Lung Cancer

Kidney transplant

Have u ever witnessed anybody (farang) having any of the operations you stated? ,insurance or no insurance? I have  You would be in no fit state to continue being in Thailand after the operation,you may just get the operation a bit quicker having insurance ,thats all,no meaningful aftercare,just hanging on for a short time for the inevitable   Once diagnosed,a speedy exit

Yes I know one the was treated for lung cancer. He beat it too. Rather expensive, though. Think the total price for everything was about 2M baht, if my memory do not play tricks with me. I kidney transplantation is not anything that you need to worry too much about if the body not reject the kidney.

But, never mind. It just comes another after another, and quote my posts that are replies to my first initial post in this thread. Better just read that one, as that is the only one which is connected to and have relevance to the OP. Everything else is just derailed by stupid replies on that one.

Edited by Gottfrid

22 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Like the headline says, if you're not able to access your home social medicine, in other words, you are living uninsured abroad, you die. That's honestly the best outcome.

Or would you like to wake up, find you lost both legs in a local crash, and the bill is $200,000 and rising with your rehab and recuperation? If you cannot afford to be here, I would not condescend to suggest you should go home, but your options are bleak should a fate worse than death happen.

20 odd years of this may/could/not able/whatever  still here   " lost both legs" rehab/recuperation?   nah  anything could happen   you think that insurance pot will cover everything?  think again,it will be drier than the Sahara in no time at all,private hospital will sure see to that,then govt hospital ,and dying probably the best option at losing both legs  

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes I know one the was treated for lung cancer. He beat it too. Rather expensive, though. Think the total price for everything was about 2M baht, if my memory do not play tricks with me. I kidney transplantation is not anything that you need to worry too much about if the body not reject the kidney.

But, never mind. It just comes another after another, and quote my posts that are replies to my first initial post in this thread. Better just read that one, as that is the only one which is connected to and have relevance to the OP. Everything else is just derailed by stupid replies on that one.

Lung cancer price  cannot get firm quote,but will be less than kidney transplant of 8000 pounds,not in Thailand  but close   The two I know did not beat cancer, lung and Kev,throat I think,died not long after operation

20 odd years of this may/could/not able/whatever  still here   " lost both legs" rehab/recuperation?   nah  anything could happen   you think that insurance pot will cover everything?  think again,it will be drier than the Sahara in no time at all,private hospital will sure see to that,then govt hospital ,and dying probably the best option at losing both legs  

I went to a private hosp in BKk courtesy of a perk with Krungthai, for a wrist pain after shutting it in a door,consultation, xray, carrier bag of meds, temp cast,no more than a strain that would have put itself right, 1 hour in and out 26.000 baht i do recall.

• Like 2

Lung cancer price  cannot get firm quote,but will be less than kidney transplant of 8000 pounds,not in Thailand  but close   The two I know did not beat cancer, lung and Kev,throat I think,died not long after operation

Give it up!

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Says another insurance rep ! ????????

No, says a person that think before it´s too late. Why would I be an insurance rep, when I clearly state that you should not travel without insurance if you do not have the money do pay for your need of treatment. I give you to options. No insurance rep would do that.

• Like 1

People that shout the loudest of having medical insurance as a rule have the very least cover,just enough to cover a sticking plaster in private hospital,its surprising just how little cover is provided too,just the op thats it,no medivac,which is the important item

A trip up to CM for long stay aftercare,but out of Thailand quick quick  

Me? yeah right   I pay 21 quid a year by DD inc medivac and basic care until Im on that 'plane 'ome   beats you 40 million plus insurance guys by miles

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Your options are bleaker still if remaing in Thailand after major operation,living in CM after lung removal in burning season,yeah right      

Living in Thailand disabled will be no joke,early diagnosis to determine then out quicker than Jack Flash

Death is inevitable. No such thing as immortality. We all have just 1 and only 1 life to live which is why I am enjoying the humble few things life has to offer.  Such as the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Ordered it via my errand running agent. Can't wait... So grateful to be alive in this generation of high tech toys.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Death is inevitable. No such thing as immortality. We all have just 1 and only 1 life to live which is why I am enjoying the humble few things life has to offer.  Such as the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Ordered it via my errand running agent. Can't wait... So grateful to be alive in this generation of high tech toys.

I bought one of those vibrator things for not just my girl friend,bur other GFs too,keeps the heart attack threat to minimum

• Confused 2

I’m 71 years old and for the past 6 years I have had a private health insurance policy called Close Care with a company called Cigna.  The insurance coverage amount has a maximum of 14 Million Baht per year .

On the Cigna policy I have no pre-existing health condition and I have never made a claim.

Yesterday I received my annual renewal notice for that Cigna health insurance policy as follows …........

Monthly payment = 13,320  Baht ( dependent on the international currency exchange rate )

Daily amount = 437 Baht .

Yearly amount = 159,840 Baht .

I have a deductible amount of 22,500 Baht ( I have to first pay that amount on any claim over 22,500 Baht and Cigna pays the remainder )

Sadly due to past silly mistakes I only now have savings of around 4 million Baht and I’m hoping that I can pass that onto my Thai wife of 18 years. 

So self insuring is not a viable option for me , I can just about manage the new Cigna monthly payment amount . I have a feeling that the new monthly Cigna payment amount may be about correct for some one in my age group .

I wish I could turn back the clock ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

He didn't say he was in the 30 baht scheme.

Seems that the comfortably off posters on here are sneering at we in the lower orders who adapt better to Thai life, albeit through necessity.

I had an 8 day stay in a government hospital which included 24 hrs monitoring and a minor operation overseen by an English speaking doctor.

Cost 12k baht. Not 30 baht granted but still a reasonable price.

As in other areas of life; private is not necessarily better.

So, you are sure you adapt better to Thai life? I am perfectly adapted and can deal with any situation. Sit down on the floor eating is not a problem for me. Just love to visit my wife´s grandfather and grandmother up in Bueng Khan (Nog Kai). Just waiting to can go there again, but have been little of that during Covid.

Never have a problem to use government choices as hospital for different things. Just that I do not leave my home country on a whim, and really do not know if I will be able to care for myself. That would have a possibility to put me in a position I do not wish to be. 

Therefore I made an initial post about the need of enough money of insurance when staying in a country where you have no free or discounted social benefits. That stands, and everything else you babble about is totally irrelevant. I just hope that you will not have a major problem, that lands you in a problem you can´t handle. Let´s just say that the 12k you mention is nothing. If you think that is much, you should not live abroad. 

Let´s take an example of a hospital bill of 250 000. Can you take that, or would you need an insurance? Not even that is much if you decide to move abroad. Starting talking about 12k as an example and try to make it sound like everything is ok without insurance as long as you not use private care. That´s just laughable!

It is only the accident part that could be a problem,but insurance for that is cheap.  You guys keep on about cost of medical care,here in thailand it is,but two hours away west and south(from BKK) the finest medical care abouds,so cheap and good ,have loads of examples,been many times...  pre cancer scans,prostate reduction,knee ops  ,what have you  ,  now with relaxing borders hopefully  can get my eyes lasered,not at 600,000  but at 30 000 baht  ,   just 4000 return  or was     Anything elective/selective,no need for Thailand

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, you are sure you adapt better to Thai life? I am perfectly adapted and can deal with any situation. Sit down on the floor eating is not a problem for me. Just love to visit my wife´s grandfather and grandmother up in Bueng Khan (Nog Kai). Just waiting to can go there again, but have been little of that during Covid.

Never have a problem to use government choices as hospital for different things. Just that I do not leave my home country on a whim, and really do not know if I will be able to care for myself. That would have a possibility to put me in a position I do not wish to be. 

Therefore I made an initial post about the need of enough money of insurance when staying in a country where you have no free or discounted social benefits. That stands, and everything else you babble about is totally irrelevant. I just hope that you will not have a major problem, that lands you in a problem you can´t handle. Let´s just say that the 12k you mention is nothing. If you think that is much, you should not live abroad. 

Let´s take an example of a hospital bill of 250 000. Can you take that, or would you need an insurance? Not even that is much if you decide to move abroad. Starting talking about 12k as an example and try to make it sound like everything is ok without insurance as long as you not use private care. That´s just laughable!

Oh so you can eat sitting on the floor, wow. I started doing that as soon as I could sit up. Sorry to be rude and to babble, but your whole post seems to have the single aim of putting someone down. Many of us have problems with health insurance, I mentioned above that I had to stop when my premiums unexpectedly increased by 50%.

I have options however, that many don't (embassy would repatriate me for hospital treatment, possibly pay my bill if that looked like coming cheaper). 

You forgot to use the phrase "cheap Charlie" by the way, try to do better next time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Oh so you can eat sitting on the floor, wow. I started doing that as soon as I could sit up. Sorry to be rude and to babble, but your whole post seems to have the single aim of putting someone down. Many of us have problems with health insurance, I mentioned above that I had to stop when my premiums unexpectedly increased by 50%.

I have options however, that many don't (embassy would repatriate me for hospital treatment, possibly pay my bill if that looked like coming cheaper). 

You forgot to use the phrase "cheap Charlie" by the way, try to do better next time.

The only thing I can read out of your post is envy. Where did I put someone down? I just stated that I am out of the opinion that you need an insurance or be able to pay for what might happen. Otherwise you have nothing to do outside your secure little country and the social benefits you can reap.

It´s just plainly a fact that all can not relocate, because they put themselves in too big risks. I am happy to hear you have such good help from your country.