you do realise if your old you wont be a long time right?

georgegeorgia

17 hours ago, Pravda said:

What are you talking about? Most 60yo posters here are in excellent shape and look better than Brad Pitt.

I always said it's better to do your travelling while you are young rather than old and still have functioning brain cells. How many young guys do buy a house for the bargirl? No, they live and enjoy life and eventually return to their home country where they at least have security until they die.

Nonsense. I am 72 and have backpacked all my life. I plan several trips to my beloved northern Myanmar, as well as long stays in Europe seeing all the sites. My next trip is to Bavaria and it's Alps. Who the <deleted> wants to look forward to returning to my home country to die in old age? I'm just getting started.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

I've been retired for about 10 years now.  I love it.  

For some people though they get bored by it and would rather still be working.

Everyone is different.  Let them worry about themselves.  Don't think that what makes you happy will make them happy too.

• Like 1

It's true...most people are in denial about this fact of life/death. Most act and think like they are immortal. I had a great job which took me all over the world and afforded lots of free time and off-time. Living here month-on/month-off for 25 years and comfortably retired last year at 59 and here full time. 

Lots more fun and travel to come if fragile nanny world ever learns to accept and live with Stupid-19. If not, still plenty of sun and fun here! Gotta live life...not let life live you. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Card said:

Nonsense. I am 72 and have backpacked all my life. I plan several trips to my beloved northern Myanmar, as well as long stays in Europe seeing all the sites. My next trip is to Bavaria and it's Alps. Who the <deleted> wants to look forward to returning to my home country to die in old age? I'm just getting started.

Did you also spend 7 years in Tibet?

For many, their work defines them.

They are proud of what they do or are accomplishing, giving them a sense of purpose and relevance, or to just have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Unfortunately I've seen more than one who have retired, either prematurely or on schedule. 

All the retirement plans they had never seemed to materialize.

All they did was sit in front of the TV, still in their bathrobe at noon and already drinking.

They decline quickly, both mentally and physically.

In my generation and family you work until you can't,

taking many vacations and doing bucket list things earlier in life while it can truly be enjoyed.

If you have a plan or are miserable in your job, then yes, retire.

But if you like what you do, continue to do it as long as you can, your brain and body will benefit.

By the way, I have no problem dying on the job, just hope I go quickly like the gentleman the poster referred to. ????

I met Mr. Eco , a Karen hilltribe elder , when he "sold" me an abandoned rice field tucked in a mountain valley 3 hrs north of Chiang Mai on a highway to nowhere . He raised 5 children on those rice fields , never had a "job" , spoke little Thai , one pair of shoes , worlds biggest smile but fewest teeth and built his home  from bamboo and mud from the field that fed his family . We didn't share many words between us but I was always invited to sit and have a cup of herbal tea with him and his chickens when I walked past his empire .. At 84 he still had the habit of picking up a hoe and head to the rice field " just to tidy things up ". I believe this man was the most content person I have yet to meet and as far as being happy , that sparkle in his eye revealed a life lived fully , even though that life was contained on 15 rai  . I do hope someday I will be brave enough to trust my hands and wit and the abundance of the land to meet my needs not how much money I have in the

bank .

• Thanks 2

Maybe this is what many here are looking for .....

Aged Care homes in Thailand a growing trend for UK families... 

3 Feb 2020 — Compare this to Thailand where 1:1 around-the-clock residential care with fully-qualified staff – in award-winning facilities.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

you need to rest.   take care of yourself.   

Thank you for your concern, however life is not a rehearsal and we only pass this way once,   Whn the time comes and the Lord tells me to come home, I will go knowing that I have achieved most if not all of my bucket list.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I 'retired' at 53 it was a huge financial hit to do that, but, I decided that I wasn't getting younger, and life is short, I had a travel bucket list, and I went for it!

I retired at exactly the same age - took an “involuntary” redundancy which was in fact purely voluntary. Had eight fantastic years of almost nonstop travel, before this virus from China put a stop to it. Now it’s looking like I may never be able to travel again, my decision to retire so early has proved to be by far the best decision of my life.

Yes, the OP is correct, many farang here act as if they will live forever. At 73 I tell my wife that I hope to live long enough to see our son finish higher education, she pooh poohs such negative ideas saying I will live to be a 100, nobody so blind that won't see.

• Like 1

5 by-passes in 2005, Dad, all his brothers, Grandfather, GreatGrandfather = heart attacks. I retired at age 64 1/2 but no millions (OK, unless we count in Thai baht). Just passed my first happy decade in Chiang Mai, hoping for yet another (heart attack here 2015). (Knock on wood), able to sustain my 65K baht monthly income without end, investments continue to grow in the US. I will leave to my Sons an amount that my parents left me and my Brother.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like the guy is happy cleaning, fair enough, if not happy retire.  

I travelled around the world extensively before I retired, now I'm happy being in Pattaya

Good on ya! I did my fair share of traveling in my younger years but still remember all the oldies coming off the P&O lines in Tahiti. There once around the world trip. God bless them, but most looked way to old to travel. So I said to myself I will travel when I am young whether I have the money to do so or not, and I did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

I am 74.

Hope will get a few years more.
I live one day at a time.

One day.....oh well

Next day......right!

Some days.....enough.

I'm 74 just yesterday and I am in better shape than I was in my 40's. You really have to look after yourself when you get older. Don't eat so much and learn about supplements they can help you a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Nothing to do with being fat. Didn't keep joint mobility and lost it. Never even thought about it till it was gone.

One "huge" guy say to me one time: "all guy's who see they dic# whit out mirror are skinny".

• Haha 1

In my teens I decided with my lifestyle be lucky to reach 40!! Thus continued accordingly. 

Work was great as in those days did not have to interfere with drinking. 

So worked, travelled, partied and drank. 

Reaching 40 realised life had other plans, but as not yet revealed continued. ????

At 50 met my now wife, and my future became visible, progressive lifestyle changes, spare cash to set up a modest home in Thailand, very happy and contented with part 1 of my life, looking forward to enjoying part 2, the part where I enjoy and remain active by choice not necessity.

I understand people who continue to work through choice, it's not the same daily grind if one can step out at short notice, but for me to wake up to breakfast in 30c warmth and not have to go to work provides the base enjoyment of the retirement years I see as a bonus ????

• Like 1

Two things to say.                                     Drink it while it is fizzing (life)

My friend told me once about coming   to Thailand (who has unfortunately   died now) do not come too early (run   out of money) and do not come too   late (too old to enjoy yourself)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Two things to say.                                     Drink it while it is fizzing (life)

My friend told me once about coming   to Thailand (who has unfortunately   died now) do not come too early (run   out of money) and do not come too   late (too old to enjoy yourself)

What has this stupid thread have to do with Thailand. ?

• Confused 3