you do realise if your old you wont be a long time right?

georgegeorgia

14 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

height 5foot 12 or 6 foot box to tick  ..............ill  give it a  miss methinks

i get answers differing by 5 years if I choose 5'12" vs 6'

But either way I'm good well into my late 70s.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

i get answers differing by 5 years if I choose 5'12" vs 6'

But either way I'm good well into my late 70s.

I suspect you guy's put it on the height fault ???? ...... while your  weight , BP, Cholesterol, Smoking  or the drinking option  is the main age test killer ....????

????

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

I suspect you guy's put it on the height fault ???? ...... while your  weight , BP, Cholesterol, or the drinking option  is the main age test killer ....????

????

Like all these things it's a bit of fun, I could be hit by a bus (OK a truck our bus service terminated some years back) tomorrow.

My BP is good, weight is "cuddly", but I ticked the "drinks like a fish" and "high cholesterol" options and still got late 70s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

sounds like a fantastic life with little to no regrets,well done !

It has been mate ,travelled to many parts of the world ,once drove with some friends all over Europe in the early 70s  just to see places that we had read about ,funnily enough the girl who came with me ,now lives in America and we have always kept in touch .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, david555 said:

If you are curious to know ...Here a little life expectancy tool ..... 

Be honest to fil it in , do not cheat yourself ????

Life Expectancy Calculator (johnhancockinsurance.com)

Thanks for this.

Of course our state of health and life expectancy are critical factors in the decision about when to retire and what to do in retirement.

Plenty of folk seem to be of the opinion that they may kick the bucket sooner than expected and therefore they should live an old life of maximum hedonism, heavy drinking, etc.

I'm the opposite. I want to live as long and as healthy a late life as possible.

When Covid began spreading in Thailand I doubled my efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle, improve my sleep patterns and worked hard on my weight, fitness, blood pressure and cholesterol. I changed my diet and added supplements to boost my immune system. I've been getting regular health check-ups.

So...I just took the test in your link. My life expectancy currently is 88, according to this test.

I took the test again and entered all my metrics as they were 18 months ago. At that time my life expectancy was only 78.

So there you have it. I've apparently added a possible 10 years to my life, with some thanks to the pandemic scare!

Hope that may inspire some of you to make the effort too.

• Like 1

Wish my mother knew this, obsessed with lists and worries over the trivial...what other people think, will her stuff be stolen...mountains of hoarded stuff to deal with yearly.

It comes and slams you so fast and all that burdensome <deleted> people do just before the end adds up to naught.

It's got me clear by watching my parents unfortunately - on how to do things a simpler and lighter way towards the end.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Thanks for this.

Of course our state of health and life expectancy are critical factors in the decision about when to retire and what to do in retirement.

Plenty of folk seem to be of the opinion that they may kick the bucket sooner than expected and therefore they should live an old life of maximum hedonism, heavy drinking, etc.

I'm the opposite. I want to live as long and as healthy a late life as possible.

When Covid began spreading in Thailand I doubled my efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle, improve my sleep patterns and worked hard on my weight, fitness, blood pressure and cholesterol. I changed my diet and added supplements to boost my immune system. I've been getting regular health check-ups.

So...I just took the test in your link. My life expectancy currently is 88, according to this test.

I took the test again and entered all my metrics as they were 18 months ago. At that time my life expectancy was only 78.

So there you have it. I've apparently added a possible 10 years to my life, with some thanks to the pandemic scare!

Hope that may inspire some of you to make the effort too.

About the changes , i once had a tool like this who defended the case  that once you reach a certain (old) level your chances improves ..... strange i thought .... but not so strange by their logic , as they see the fact that when young you have to pass many hurdles , when reached at hat later level old age in good condition , you proved you passed those hurdles , so being from a strong kind .....

But don't get any idea ..... by aging you come anyway closer to die ???? 

Regrettable i dont have the link to that one anymore 

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I 'retired' at 53 it was a huge financial hit to do that, but, I decided that I wasn't getting younger, and life is short, I had a travel bucket list, and I went for it! I am so glad i did that, a mate the same age, stuck it out, he's, now been made redundant by the lurgy, and talking about going here and there, but he seems to be getting enmeshed in his property managements, and lets be honest, nobody is going anywhere -and expecting it to be any fun- for at least another year, and that's being wildly optimistic. He'll be 63 by then, and at 60 myself, I'm really noticing for the first time, I'm not able to do a lot of things I could do without even thinking twice, when I pulled the plug at 53, the rot is setting in. I'm so glad I cut and run when I did. Another mate with tons of cash has been wittering on about visiting Paris since his 30's But now, he'll likely die in South West Sydney before he hits 70. 

I'm really noticing for the first time, I'm not able to do a lot of things I could do without even thinking twice,

A point to keep a serious  eye on it from now on ....! ????

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but I don't. I say sorry because I wish I still did. When my marriage failed I couldn't afford to live there any more.

I don't need to go to the gym. I work on a farm a lot- excellent exercise in the fresh air. I might live for years yet, but I hope not long enough to end up in a "rest home".

are you 100% sure you can't afford to? Some people need help with working out. the numbers.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

First time, as I left school at 16 and immediately retired was in retrospect a bit premature but I gained valuable experience.

Laughed when I read that !

I was 17, all my school friends got the 25 year job with a pension and a gold watch, white picket fence, 2.25 children ...

I bought a Harley

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, beachproperty said:

I retired at 40. I realized that I might not Live past 53 as no male member of my family had live past 53 before (Heart Attacks). 

Well I'm now 68 so that record is broken but I had a heart attack at 53 (they put in 3 stents) and I recovered. then at 63 I had a stroke and have since recovered although I'm on medication.

I now live each day as it's my last and enjoy life to its fullest.

That's absolutely magic that people have gone to so much effort to save your life twice.
I hope you rewarded them well for it!

Thanks to George for two threads on retiring during the week I have to decide if I'm going to take the buyout and retire at 81.   And thanks for the life expectation calculator, which gives me till 97.  I think I'll be joining you'all soon.  Who was it who said "life is what happened when you were making plans?"

• Like 1