Jump to content

Leading doctor cites Phuket Sandbox as example of what will happen when Bangkok reopens


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Sandbox... The very name ‘Sandbox’  is a term adopted from computing and means 'a testing environment in a computer system in which new or untested software can be run securely’ - The adoption of

you missed the important bit   Foreign tourists run the risk of getting infected through local transmission and as they are the only people actually being targeted with multiple tests and ru

Nothing like stating the bloomin' obvious.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

 

The Sandbox... The very name ‘Sandbox’  is a term adopted from computing and means 'a testing environment in a computer system in which new or untested software can be run securely’ - The adoption of the term ’Sandbox' for the Phuket Sandbox simply means that Phuket has been used as a testing environment to see if the incoming international visitors contribute to the spread of Covid-19. 

 

As far as the Sandbox model itself - it has been proven that incoming international arrivals do not contribute to the increase of Covid-19 on the Island of Phuket - The ’test’ itself has established what it needed to.

 

Phuket and other area’s of Thailand have encountered an increase in domestic transmission.

The Sandbox ’test’ has shown that Vaccinated arrivals who have also had a negative Pre-Flight and Arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test do not present an elevated threat to the spread of Covid-19 within Thailand. 

 

From that ’test' perspective the information established from the Phuket Sandbox has been a success. 

 

IF someone was of the opinion that the Phuket Sandbox model was to increase tourism and provide economic stimulus to the Tourism Industry within Phuket, then they have fallen foul to believing the ’theatre’ and misinformation. 

 

 

The increase in case load in Phuket is not related to the increase in vaccinated individuals from overseas. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is related to domestic transmission in areas of high-population density such as slum accommodation and markets. 

Covid-19 is not being spread on the beaches and in restaurants, most of which are virtually empty (in Phuket).

 

 

 

But Richard, it still means that the sandbox is a huge risk. Not as much from the tourists but from the Thais themselves. It just shows the risks of opening up too many venues.

 

I fully accept that there are risks from opening up, but there should be some hard limits on extra number of peoples in hospitals in a serious condition. Because if lifting of measures means that hospitals can't cope its dangerous for everyone. So they should have something like a limit, if more then so many people go into the hospital and it looks like hospitals cant cope measures will follow. 

 

Living with it and opening up also means you need to have measures in place to close things down if it gets out of hand. So in this way the Phuket sandbox is showing the risks of opening up. These risks don't come from tourists but from the fact that things are opened up.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The increase in case load in Phuket is not related to the increase in vaccinated individuals from overseas. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is related to domestic transmission in areas of high-population density such as slum accommodation and markets. 

Covid-19 is not being spread on the beaches and in restaurants, most of which are virtually empty (in Phuket).

👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any positive tests really should be tested again to ensure the accuracy of the false positive result. 

You seem to have already concluded it is a false positive so why bother?

In reality you  are suggesting retesting all positives... IE double testing.

Are false negatives to be ignored at the same time..... I saw figures of 1.8-58%.!

 
 
 
 
Edited by jacko45k
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any websites that detail how the Bangkok sandbox will work?

 

I understand staying in SHA+ Hotels, but is it like Chiang Mai with restricted travel to limited tourists attractions and no free wandering wherever they want?

 

Or as long as you are fully vaccinated and stay in a SHA+ Hotel, you can go wherever you want in Bangkok?

 

I am not really up to date on the re-openings, so appreciate any better information that I have...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think nobody is up to date, as they keep giving dates and changing them. They also never explained what will open up and what wont open up. No details if quarantine is still needed. 

 

I been trying to get info so my parents can visit in future. But with all those U turns and changes I am not going to risk it for them. They are so bad at communications that this puts people off. 

I suspect by ‘Opening up’ Bangkok on 1st Nov what they really mean is ‘entry requirements’.

 

i.e. in much the same manner Vaccinated arrivals can enter Phuket with proof of vaccination, CoE, Pre-Flight and Arrival PCR tests, I suspect arrivals to Bangkok will fall under the similar list of requirements... such as: 

- Must be Dual Vaccinated (<12 months, >14 days)

- Enter with CoE

- Pre-flight PCR test

- Arrival PCR test

- Insurance

 

The outstanding issue will be whether arrivals have to stay at an SHA Plus hotel in Bangkok as they have in Phuket. IMO this requirement is utterly ridiculous.

 

 

The term 'Opening up Bangkok’ - may be misconstrued to mean that all restaurants and bars etc will open up without restrictions, but I do not believe this is the intended messages - I ’think’ they mean, open up to international arrivals,. I believe ’social’ restrictions will vary according the situation (case load / hospitalisations).

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect by ‘Opening up’ Bangkok on 1st Nov what they really mean is ‘entry requirements’.

 

i.e. in much the same manner Vaccinated arrivals can enter Phuket with proof of vaccination, CoE, Pre-Flight and Arrival PCR tests, I suspect arrivals to Bangkok will fall under the similar list of requirements... such as: 

- Must be Dual Vaccinated (<12 months, >14 days)

- Enter with CoE

- Pre-flight PCR test

- Arrival PCR test

- Insurance

 

The outstanding issue will be whether arrivals have to stay at an SHA Plus hotel in Bangkok as they have in Phuket. IMO this requirement is utterly ridiculous.

 

 

The term 'Opening up Bangkok’ - may be misconstrued to mean that all restaurants and bars etc will open up without restrictions, but I do not believe this is the intended messages - I ’think’ they mean, open up to international arrivals,. I believe ’social’ restrictions will vary according the situation (case load / hospitalisations).

 

Richard,

 

But that is just it you suspect, i suspect nobody really knows. I think they don't know themselves and they change their mind so often. Its so dangerous to plan anything when you have a government that works like that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...