Leading doctor cites Phuket Sandbox as example of what will happen when Bangkok reopens

webfact

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is also another facet to consider with mass testing - that is false positives. 

The UK office of national statistics quotes an RT PCR test false positive rate of 0.8 to 4.3% 

The Lancet (in an Article published in Sept 2020) quotes  0.8 to 4.0% false positive rate for an RT PCR test. 

Thus, out of 1,000,000 Covid-19 RT PCR tests per day - anywhere between 8,000 and 40,000 tests could be a false positive result. 

When ‘Mass testing’ the issue is that we (Thailand or any country) could be testing itself into a Panic. 

Any positive tests really should be tested again to ensure the accuracy of the false positive result. 

Additionally: Once we are all vaccinated a positive test result means little in the same manner that testing positive for influenza means little, particularly for those without symptoms - the key metric remains to be ‘how many people are becoming unwell’.... 

I have to say that I think you're wrong here. Taking your example of 1m tests over a given period, assume (for the sake of a round number) that 10% come up as positive. I think what is being said by the UK office of NS & the Lancet is that 0.8 to 4% of the (in my example) 10% positives are false - i.e. 0.08 to 0.4% of the total tested.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Opening up, in the sense that venues are open, results in more cases no matter the level of vaccination. That’s proven from Israel to UK to Singapore.

but more cases is ok, if people are protected by way of vaccinations because hospitalizations should be low. But in Thailand hospitalizations stay high because they hospitalize all cases, asymptomatic and symptomatic, and only when hospital beds are full do they start filling community centers with asymptomatic people.

in Phuket, with its high vaccination rate,  they need to start seeing the wood from the trees and hospitalize only truly sick people. Others can isolate, or not, but cases should not now be the focus imho

What you say is absolutely correct , providing 70% of the adult population is ADEQUATELY vaccinated. Given the concerns regarding the Chinese vaccinations effectiveness against Delta , im not sure Phuket is robust enough at the present time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, georgey said:

I have to say that I think you're wrong here. Taking your example of 1m tests over a given period, assume (for the sake of a round number) that 10% come up as positive. I think what is being said by the UK office of NS & the Lancet is that 0.8 to 4% of the (in my example) 10% positives are false - i.e. 0.08 to 0.4% of the total tested.  

That also makes sense... more sense than just 0.8% to 4.0% of the total tested number. 

The doctor isn't saying what some posters on this forum have been spouting.

'All falling into place for tourist high season.' etc

That particular poster seems to have disappeared. I wonder if he knows his utterances are absolutely devoid of facts or reality and he's being found out.

Thailand has been in various degrees of  lockdown since April.

Thailand isn't going to surrender any gains by allowing a free for all through BKK.

I have always thought that since the Delta variant arrived that the game had changed.

If you are a farang who owns a tourist facing business in Thailand, then cut your losses and get out.

Otherwise, you will burn what capital you have left.

Get out now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think 70% is a safe number in regards to vaccination rates.

Especially with the main vaccines being the low effecieny ones from China.

One of the more important things being the number of hospital beds.  Proper beds in a hospital for cases besides COVID-19.

Big problem in Phuket, close to critical.

I guess you have to open someday though.  It's disappointing that the government just doesn't commit to a realistic number of mRNA vaccines, say 70 million to start with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

What you say is absolutely correct , providing 70% of the adult population is ADEQUATELY vaccinated. Given the concerns regarding the Chinese vaccinations effectiveness against Delta , im not sure Phuket is robust enough at the present time.

I take your point and personally, I agree with you. But that isn’t the governments policy. I posted in another thread that the guy who does my garden in Phuket was double vaxxed with sinovac some months ago. He’s just had a booster shot of …..sinovac. So in that sense the government is doubling down.

the problem is the focus on quantitative numbers of vaccinations, and not qualitative numbers of vaccinations. In other words, heading down a blind alley with foot pressed firmly on the accelerator. Well, it’s the path they chose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Sandbox... The very name ‘Sandbox’  is a term adopted from computing and means 'a testing environment in a computer system in which new or untested software can be run securely’ - The adoption of the term ’Sandbox' for the Phuket Sandbox simply means that Phuket has been used as a testing environment to see if the incoming international visitors contribute to the spread of Covid-19. 

As far as the Sandbox model itself - it has been proven that incoming international arrivals do not contribute to the increase of Covid-19 on the Island of Phuket - The ’test’ itself has established what it needed to.

Phuket and other area’s of Thailand have encountered an increase in domestic transmission.

The Sandbox ’test’ has shown that Vaccinated arrivals who have also had a negative Pre-Flight and Arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test do not present an elevated threat to the spread of Covid-19 within Thailand. 

From that ’test' perspective the information established from the Phuket Sandbox has been a success. 

IF someone was of the opinion that the Phuket Sandbox model was to increase tourism and provide economic stimulus to the Tourism Industry within Phuket, then they have fallen foul to believing the ’theatre’ and misinformation. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is not related to the increase in vaccinated individuals from overseas. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is related to domestic transmission in areas of high-population density such as slum accommodation and markets. 

Covid-19 is not being spread on the beaches and in restaurants, most of which are virtually empty (in Phuket).

Thanks for a genuinely intelligent assessment of the situation.

What amazes me is how many farangs think the 'Sandbox' has a) failed and b) failed because of the tourists and are c) essentially campaigning to keep everything shut.

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Thanks for a genuinely intelligent assessment of the situation.

What amazes me is how many farangs think the 'Sandbox' has a) failed and b) failed because of the tourists and are c) essentially campaigning to keep everything shut.

Amazing Thailand.

It did fail.

They forecast 100,000 got at most 30,000.

Only 6,000 estimated real tourists.

Families being separated, with children taken off to hospital, isn't the easiest sell in the world for Thomas Cook.

UK's domestic tourist areas like Cornwall, have received record bookings for next summer.

Tells you all you need to know about the future of Thai tourism.

No one's coming.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

If you are a farang who owns a tourist facing business in Thailand, then cut your losses and get out.

Otherwise, you will burn what capital you have left.

Get out now.

Or try to hold on another year , in the meantime have time to learn to speak and write mandarin ...

52 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Sandbox to me means a plaything for children, who just about match the intellect of those involved in making the decisions.

And perhaps your intellect if by now you are unaware what the Sandbox means in terms of a testing environment. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(software_development)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

In my mind, although I had Sinovac for my first jab (and AZ as my second), I'm counting it as irrelevant and in due course will have a third jab which I will consider to be my second. Everyone would be wise to do the same. Sinovac might be better than nothing, but not by much.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Sandbox... The very name ‘Sandbox’  is a term adopted from computing and means 'a testing environment in a computer system in which new or untested software can be run securely’ - The adoption of the term ’Sandbox' for the Phuket Sandbox simply means that Phuket has been used as a testing environment to see if the incoming international visitors contribute to the spread of Covid-19. 

As far as the Sandbox model itself - it has been proven that incoming international arrivals do not contribute to the increase of Covid-19 on the Island of Phuket - The ’test’ itself has established what it needed to.

Phuket and other area’s of Thailand have encountered an increase in domestic transmission.

The Sandbox ’test’ has shown that Vaccinated arrivals who have also had a negative Pre-Flight and Arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test do not present an elevated threat to the spread of Covid-19 within Thailand. 

From that ’test' perspective the information established from the Phuket Sandbox has been a success. 

IF someone was of the opinion that the Phuket Sandbox model was to increase tourism and provide economic stimulus to the Tourism Industry within Phuket, then they have fallen foul to believing the ’theatre’ and misinformation. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is not related to the increase in vaccinated individuals from overseas. 

The increase in case load in Phuket is related to domestic transmission in areas of high-population density such as slum accommodation and markets. 

Covid-19 is not being spread on the beaches and in restaurants, most of which are virtually empty (in Phuket).

Thank you making this so clear.  How one…even just one  can be confused is beyond me.  Deniers still exist

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

A handful of positive covid cases from foreign tourists in Phuket and everyone gets all scared.  Lock them down, don’t let them travel!  Make them stay in govt approved hotels to keep the rich Thais happy, but also to stop the spread!  Meanwhile, hundreds of local cases everyday, no one bats an eye.  Is the virus more dangerous when a tourist has it but not a Thai?  I guess so.