Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

List is most likely based on economics, not covid numbers.

Singapore has an incidence of 405 per 100 k, which is high.

Most scandinavian countries, not named on the press briefing, are under 100 per 100 k, while Germany is at 130.

Spain and Italy, under 90 cases per 100 k.

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, godonnet said:

So he says 10 countries will open, and mentions 5... what about the other 5 countries? When will people in those countries be notified?  Surely the scandinavian countries must be added. 

List is most likely based on economics, not covid numbers.

Singapore has an incidence of 405 per 100 k, which is high.

Most scandinavian countries, not named on the press briefing, are under 100 per 100 k, while Germany is at 130.

Spain and Italy, under 90 cases per 100 k.

Why not anything about reopening schools? Both my students and I cannot wait to get back in an actual classroom. But, no, the govt doesn't care about that. God forbid people learn anything that may make them question the status quo.

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Addressing the nation: "I have, therefore, instructed ..... to urgently consider...."

Private conversation: “I have the guns, open up on 1st Nov"

could be.  At some point the pressure builds to get the tourist money flowing

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I have made posts reminding everyone that the OP is unconfirmed, especially when someone posts here that they are coming to Thailand because quarantine ends on November 1.

They have gone back on their promises before. And given the low level of vaccinations in most of the country, it doesn't seem unlikely that they will do so again.

• Like 1

The thing that jumped out at me in this statement ( the successful reopening of Phuket and Samui islands ) I'm sorry but where was the success. They also talking December 1st before alcohol being sold in restaurants so bars will be next year.

And what's the point of having 2 covid tests within the 72 hour window. One being no less then 72 hours  before the flight and one after you land.

4 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

The thing that jumped out at me in this statement ( the successful reopening of Phuket and Samui islands ) I'm sorry but where was the success. They also talking December 1st before alcohol being sold in restaurants so bars will be next year.

And what's the point of having 2 covid tests within the 72 hour window. One being no less then 72 hours  before the flight and one after you land.

Trust me, this is much better than what they were doing originally ... these tests, then another one at 7 days, then another at 14 days. With the high rates of covid in Thailand you could catch covid whilst there and that would be it - hospital quarantine for 14 days and families split. 

This is much better. Alot of countries have some form of test entry to reduce numbers - with the anxiety in Thailand and South East asian countries this was always going to be expected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

If they scrap the COE, how are they going to verify vaccination status? Airlines aren't gonna do it and it's impossible for Passport Control to do it so there aren't many options, as I see it.

In russia u need to provide QR code to board a plane. Nothing difficult.

18 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

If they scrap the COE, how are they going to verify vaccination status? Airlines aren't gonna do it and it's impossible for Passport Control to do it so there aren't many options, as I see it.

There's lot's more to the COE than just proof of vaccination. Getting it entails running a gauntlet.

Edited by placeholder

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

They have gone back on their promises before. And given the low level of vaccinations in most of the country, it doesn't seem unlikely that they will do so again.

I am not sure what the level of vaccination in Thailand has to do with the arrivals from foreign countries. The arrivals are double-vaccinated, supposedly negative at departure and then again negative at arrival, how do they pose a risk to Thai people more than the average person on the street. If anything, it would be the reverse.

But yes, I agree that flip-flops are possible. In Thailand like elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

In russia u need to provide QR code to board a plane. Nothing difficult.

The point is that Russia has several types of vaccines. Only Sputnik V is approved in Thailand. Other countries have their own too, not recognized by others. The QR code links to the national database of the country of origin. Thailand immigration would have no way of verifying that the vaccination document is genuine and that the type of vaccinations is permitted.

So yes, I am afraid that some kind of certification from the Thai Embassy in the country of origin might be needed. We will have to see if they confirm the quarantine-free  recommendation and how they are going to implement it (e.g., insurance?)

49 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There's lot's more to the COE than just proof of vaccination. Getting it entails running a gauntlet.

1 hour ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Standard practice is an app on your phone, gets checked by I presume airline and passport control staff

9 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I am not sure what the level of vaccination in Thailand has to do with the arrivals from foreign countries. The arrivals are double-vaccinated, supposedly negative at departure and then again negative at arrival, how do they pose a risk to Thai people more than the average person on the street. If anything, it would be the reverse.

But yes, I agree that flip-flops are possible. In Thailand like elsewhere.

Well, the problem is if prospective tourists hear that Covid 19 is once again rampant in Thailand that might prove discouraging.

3 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

The point is that Russia has several types of vaccines. Only Sputnik V is approved in Thailand. Other countries have their own too, not recognized by others. The QR code links to the national database of the country of origin. Thailand immigration would have no way of verifying that the vaccination document is genuine and that the type of vaccinations is permitted.

So yes, I am afraid that some kind of certification from the Thai Embassy in the country of origin might be needed. We will have to see if they confirm the quarantine-free  recommendation and how they are going to implement it (e.g., insurance?)

Not thai immigration. 

They would delegate it to airlines.

If u dont have correct code u cant board the plane.

In a same way Airasia askin u for return ticket when u board the plane. 

So if u flew in, its mean u alright.

52 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I just pre-registered, not so difficult. If they scrap quarantine, basically it boils down to providing proof of vaccination and proof of insurance. Insurance is indeed a hurdle and can be expensive, depending on age and duration of stay. Let's  hope they scrap it too. As for those without a valid visa, one can expect that they will reinstate the pre-covid policies of visa waiver, visa on arrival, etc.

3 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

Not thai immigration. 

They would delegate it to airlines.

If u dont have correct code u cant board the plane.

In a same way Airasia askin u for return ticket when u board the plane. 

So if u flew in, its mean u alright.

How does this work for non-direct flights? Very few airlines have direct flights to Thailand.  I am afraid it's not so simple to delegate to airlines. Also in terms of being responsible in case the vaccination later turns out to be bogus.

1 hour ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Of course, Airlines will have to do it

For example, when travelling with Ryanair to Spain, they verified at check in, both EU travel certificate (vaccination, test or former infection) and Spain entry QR code

What is the big deal?

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1