Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me that there's a fairly solid future intent to waive all quarantine (for fully vaccinated travelers) at 1 November.

But also seems to me there's also a current strategy to not release this information until say 3rd week of October.

Why? Because they fear early release of this policy will automatically push many would be arrivals to wait and enter after 1 Nov.

Therefore killing some potential arrivals from entering during first 2 or 3 week of October, therefore they won't be spending money on ASQ hotels then own choice hotels after 7 days quarantine, own choice F and B, shopping during that first 2 or 3 weeks of October. 

All being bad news in terms of opportunity for more businesses to open up/get revenues. 

We wait and see.

We would never want to see Thailand get screwed on 2 or 3 weeks of easy money on the ASQ SCAM for Vaccinated visitors  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

No, but the possibility of testing positive and incarcerated in a hospital for 2 weeks might be a tad inconvenient.

Plus the possibility of your insurer not paying up for you being asymptomatic.

76 provinces with 76 different decision makers opening or closing at a whim doesn't inspire confidence.

Just like Koh Tao did.

Perhaps you should just remain indoors where you're nice and safe then if that's how you feel.

The choice is yours.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, club said:

We would never want to see Thailand get screwed on 2 or 3 weeks of easy money on the ASQ SCAM for Vaccinated visitors  

Point taken however I'm not really convinced that ASQ is just a scam, to my thinking there's some level of validity behind quarantining people who have arrived from other locations.

My comment was aimed more at the daily food and beverage and other touristy spending the arrivals would make which would help local economies, especially helping to keep folks in jobs, keeping vendors etc., afloat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Interesting that the Phuket Sandbox had 905 and 870 arrivals reported last 2 days (Jul to Sep averaged about 400 per day)

If this is the increase by reducing quarantine to 7 days, imagine the increase if they did actually scrap quarantine 

It’s already been a success and a pre cursor to the recent relaxations, bought in much needed revenue albeit not as much as they would have liked, so any improvement to it will be a bonus all round. 

• Confused 3

37 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s already been a success and a pre cursor to the recent relaxations, bought in much needed revenue albeit not as much as they would have liked, so any improvement to it will be a bonus all round. 

Just like Koh Samui has 

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/koh-samui/failed-samui-plus-scheme-drew-only-786-tourists-in-2-months/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here in Ireland covid dosent even make news everything open still some mask wearing.

Point is nothing is open have friends in pattaya nobody around except soi buakhao its a non ending close down.

Anyone who needed to get back have used the punket sandbox, holidays require full opening with no restrictions for the fully vacinated they are 90% unlikely to get sick

Edited by tomyami
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, club said:

Since they started the Sandbox where it is mandatory you have full vaccination before you enter. Less than 0.5% are flying in testing Covid positive. Hardly a reason to quarantine the other 99.5% people that test negative with full vaccination. Don't be fooled. Its a scam

Those might have been false positives. In areas of high prevalence rates of true infections, the false positive rate is variable, but somewhere around (or above) 0.5%. In areas of low prevalence rates (seems the case in this scenario), then the false positive rate could be as high as 5%.

See:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7850182/

and,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7934325/

• Like 1

Meanwhile….
NEPAL RE-OPEN FOR FOREIGN TOURIST

• Vaccinated travelers get Visa on Arrival.
  • ‘No Quarantine’ for vaccinated individuals.
  • 10-day mandatory quarantine for Non-vaccinated travelers. 
  • Regular travel itinerary for fully-vaccinated tourists in itinerary.
  • A –ve COVID test still required of all travelers (except children below 5).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I too was around when Aids starred but those were different times and Covid-19 is a different illness. 90% of go go bars were empty before covid. The big beer bar areas were empty. These are not going to start again. Covid-19 is one of many factors leading to the end of Pattaya style tourism. It's much more frightening, easier to catch ..It took decades to built the Pattaya entertainment scene...And it won't happen again. It's gone...for ever

I think it will revert to something smaller than what it was pre-covid, but I would be surprised if it completely disappears. I liked it better back in the 1990s anyway, rather than the freak show it turned into in the last decade.

52 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I need to get back and be able to do business early November so I am biting the bullet and applying for a COE with 7 days ASQ in Bangkok so that I'll be free in late October. For one, I don't trust these people as far as I can throw them and still don't believe they will follow through on November 1. Second, when you apply for COE there is still no option to select a "sandbox" for anything other than Samui or Phuket and I need to be in Bangkok.

There is a CCSA update on 11th Oct.

But, I too wouldn’t hold any credibility to projections, predictions and announced plans for Nov 1st opening of Bangkok - information is bound to be extremely vague up until the last minute.

It doesn’t really matter where you are if you are unable to leave a Bangkok hotel room (ASQ). That 1 week Phuket Sandbox is much easier to deal with that being stuck in a hotel room for 7 days ( I can’t understand any vaccinated person doing this by choice when the Sandbox is an option). 

Bangkok is simple 1.5 hr domestic flight away (lots of daily flights) after a 7 day Sandbox.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

The UK is totally open, Harry

Life is back to normal.

We don't have to wear masks outside.

You lose now try again.

I've just come from the UK, it's horrible getting dark and cold!

It's not really totally open is it, don't you need 'evidence' to go to music concerts and such?

i lose??? there's a competition?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t really matter where you are if you are unable to leave a Bangkok hotel room (ASQ). That 1 week Phuket Sandbox is much easier to deal with that being stuck in a hotel room for 7 days ( I can’t understand any vaccinated person doing this by choice when the Sandbox is an option).

I can't do 14 days ASQ, which is why I haven't come back yet, however I have no issue with 7 days. There's nothing open in Phuket anyway so just another hassle having to get from Phuket to my home in Pattaya.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I can't do 14 days ASQ, which is why I haven't come back yet, however I have no issue with 7 days. There's nothing open in Phuket anyway so just another hassle having to get from Phuket to my home in Pattaya.

We did 7 days quarantine in BKK last May and would chose the Sandbox over it  instead in a heartbeat.

It's not an issue that not much is Open in Phuket, but rather an issue of being locked up in a room for seven days. 

If you could wait another month, please do so, things are about to open even in BKK soon.  

The streets are open, the beach is open, the streets for a walk are open, and I am sure a few restaurants and other facilities are open, 

But I understand your desire to be close to home and get this damn thing over with and go home.. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Same for me. 

Will the quarantine-free entry really take place on November 1st? I don't want to rely on that, or the last minute announcements that are always made by the government. Entry, flight bookings, insurance, hotel bookings, SHA confirmation, PCR tests shortly before departure, PCR tests on site in the sandbox, Vaccinepapers and Visa all need planning in advance and also time and money.

Personally, based on my previous experience of how the pandemic has been managed so far, I do not believe that entry on November 1 will take place without any restrictions or bureaucracy.

At least it seems that you believe it will take place on the 1st of November 

I am doubtful it happens with or without bureaucracy 

It just doesn't make sense in view of the position of the authorities up till now

10 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Those might have been false positives. In areas of high prevalence rates of true infections, the false positive rate is variable, but somewhere around (or above) 0.5%. In areas of low prevalence rates (seems the case in this scenario), then the false positive rate could be as high as 5%.

See:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7850182/

and,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7934325/

Could be? Still not a reason to quarantine 95% of people coming in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There is still no confirmation that quarantine will be scrapped on November 1.

Instead, there is a plan to institute Sandboxes in some tourist areas.

Correct and we all know how unsuccessful that was for the majority of local Thai's in Phuket. Extending it now to other Provinces will also mean that those returning expats and Thai's no longer have to go to Phuket if they've got no ties there and can instead travel to one of the other sandbox Provinces closer to home. Good for them but dilutes the original Phuket sandbox, there's only so many people returning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've just come from the UK, it's horrible getting dark and cold!

It's not really totally open is it, don't you need 'evidence' to go to music concerts and such?

i lose??? there's a competition?

Your so funny Harry.

The best you can always do is the UK's 'dark and cold'.

I don't know what part you always visit because my bit has been dry and bright.

A beautiful time of year in Autumn.

Just in case you've been on another planet Harry, Thailand has had heavy monsoon rains and flooding for a month.

You would have needed a canoe instead of a car to get about Pattaya.

Suppose that makes a nice change from unbearably hot or unbearably hot, sticky and raining.

68,000 people attended the Antony Joshua fight in London rhe other weekend, so i'll leave other people to judge whether the UK is open or not.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16225835/anthony-joshua-boxing-fame-spurs-stadium-big-crowds-return/

And no Harry it's not a competition because that would indicate you would have a fighting chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1