Renewal of Stay (retirement O/A) - covid cover certificate

Last year in my health insurance papers required for renewing my stay was a 'Certificate of Insurance' relating to minimum of US100,000 covid cover.

I'm currently assembling my papers for my renewal ordeal late next week and I notice that in the health insurance papers I received today from PC there is no such certificate. Do I still need one for Immigration? or has it been overtaken by the COE for those entering or reentering Thailand? Glad for advice before I chase PC.

(I'm not currently planning any travel outside Thailand in the next 12 months but that's probably not relevant.)

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The $100,000 covid 19 insurance is not required to apply for a extension of stay. It is only needed for entry to the country.

OK, thanks. So I probably paid for it for nothing last year (PC included it without me asking.) Live'n learn.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

OK, thanks. So I probably paid for it for nothing last year (PC included it without me asking.) Live'n learn.

You will need the 400k/40k insurance to renew an extension of stay from an initial OA ( retirement ).

Although, having said that, I renewed my extension ( OA retirement) a few days ago and immigration never even asked to look at the policy or certificate.

I am assuming that the insurance company LMG had put it into the database ??

@ubonjoe , I am assuming it is still required .( Ayutthaya IO )

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You will need the 400k/40k insurance to renew an extension of stay from an initial OA ( retirement ).

Although, having said that, I renewed my extension ( OA retirement) a few days ago and immigration never even asked to look at the policy or certificate.

I am assuming that the insurance company LMG had put it into the database ??

@ubonjoe , I am assuming it is still required .( Ayutthaya IO )

Just to be clear, did you do your extension based on Retirement or Marriage to a Thai? It makes a difference. I extended a few days ago and the IO specifically advised me to go for Marriage as a reason of extension so as to dodge the 400/40 k insurance requirement. And yes, I'm on an O-A, but prefer Retirement as it's less hassle...particularly if your significant other passes away...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mosan said:

And yes, I'm on an O-A, but prefer Retirement as it's less hassle...particularly if your significant other passes away..

Not until you current extension expires. A extension of stay based upon marriage remains valid until it expires if you wife passes away.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not until you current extension expires. A extension of stay based upon marriage remains valid until it expires if you wife passes away.

You lost me @ubonjoe. My extension remains valid until expiration. An extension based on Marriage may offer the same, but I don't need a Thai wife to extend and the advantage of needing less money in the bank doesn't affect me either. However, doing the extra steps/photos/paperwork/ and extra visit to immigrations after 30 days does affect me...

4 minutes ago, mosan said:

However, doing the extra steps/photos/paperwork/ and extra visit to immigrations after 30 days does affect me...

I just did my 14th extension of stay based upon marriage using the 40k baht income option.

Putting together some extra paperwork and etc once a year does not bother me.

My wife normally goes to immigration to get my extension stamp at the end of the under consideration period.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just did my 14th extension of stay based upon marriage using the 40k baht income option.

Putting together some extra paperwork and etc once a year does not bother me.

My wife normally goes to immigration to get my extension stamp at the end of the under consideration period.

I'll just add that not all of us are viewed as equals by those who work at immigrations. I have two very close associates (one quite wealthy) that will attest to that statement. As for me, I'll have to admit, I have not had one single problem in 20 years.

1 hour ago, mosan said:

Just to be clear, did you do your extension based on Retirement or Marriage to a Thai? It makes a difference. I extended a few days ago and the IO specifically advised me to go for Marriage as a reason of extension so as to dodge the 400/40 k insurance requirement. And yes, I'm on an O-A, but prefer Retirement as it's less hassle...particularly if your significant other passes away...

Yes, I am on a retirement extension .

I extended last year 2020 in Dec... At the time, yes, an insurance policy was needed to apply for the extension of my retirement Visa.... which cost about 13K ฿...

Is this insurance policy still required at this date for retirement visa extension?

I'm also considering to go off the retirement Visa extension, and INSTEAD, apply for the CoVid EXTENSION visa... considering the cost of the: 
- retirement Visa 1900฿
- 800k in the bank, and
- 13K for price of insurance policy
...versus the CoVid extension for 60 days until end of January seems to be a much lower cost (1900x6 = 11400 for 1 year)... granted at the hassle of having to renew every 60 days... 

Is it even possible to change from a retirement extension to a covid extension?

In my case, I'm also not sure if I plan to stay the full year in Thailand. Though I might. Depends on covid restrictions and regulations.

what's everyone's thought on this?

what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages?

• Max total size: 1.43 GB
Edited by wrazoru
update edits