Thai Airways sell-off just the beginning of difficult cost-cutting measures; tickets go back on sale

webfact

te.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Thailand’s national flag carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) said this week that it was planning to sell 42 aircraft by the end of the year as part of its business rehabilitation plan.

Insiders at the company told Thai Enquirer that the measures were just the beginning of difficult cost-cutting measures for the airline’s remaining staff.

THAI had already cut some 4,250 staff members in April this year as part of cost-cutting measures imposed by its rehabilitation board. This was in addition to the roughly ten thousand jobs it had cut since the beginning of the pandemic.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/33308/thai-airways-sell-off-just-the-beginning-of-difficult-cost-cutting-measures-tickets-go-back-on-sale/

ti.jpg
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

to sell 42 aircraft by the end of the year as part of its business rehabilitation plan.

Please tell me with hundreds of aircraft in mothballs, awaiting either buyers of being rebuilt to be put back in service, fewer flight schedules, fewer flights across the globe, who will buy these crafts, perhaps repurpose and refit the fuselages  into housing for the homeless.

However whoever the buyer is, please contact me, I have a bridge for sale.

• Like 1

The entire fleet has been parked in Thai airports with no maintenance for over a year. There is a reason that other airlines put them in the desert.

Now a bankrupt airline is gonna start flying again after ripping off thousands of consumers.  It's not as if they did a good job before covid.

I'll pass thanks and just book SQ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

They could take the wings off and use them as submarines this would save the government a lot of money. Just paint them black and park them at naval bases.

Nobody would know the difference, except those that missed the lunch boxes. 

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

so they have 3 months to sell  42 widebody aircraft  .......     they might as well start parking them up in the junkyard.

Possibly look to China.... who are holding back on ordering new from Boeing in some tit-for-tat idiocy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Possibly look to China.... who are holding back on ordering new from Boeing in some tit-for-tat idiocy. 

yeah,  but I believe Boeing just now got the ok for Boeing in China ( correct me if i'm wrong ) .

So maybe China will buy all their 42 planes just to help them out  ?    it's quite possible ...

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah,  but I believe Boeing just now got the ok for Boeing in China ( correct me if i'm wrong ) .

So maybe China will buy all their 42 planes just to help them out  ?    it's quite possible ...

Or exchange for a few unreliable, useless submarines.

The Scheinese know how to do business.

• Like 1