Almost half a million Thais have heart disease

webfact

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

20,000 heart disease related deaths a year.

Jan 03, 2020 · In Thailand, from 3 January 2020 to 3:36pm CEST, 28 September 2021, there have been 1,581,415 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 16,498 deaths, reported to WHO.

The relevance being what exactly?

3 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

WFPBD has been proven time & time again to show its the healthiest way to live. 

Then come and study the diet of your average rural dwelling Thai. Much of what they eat is farm to plate. No processed foods and only small quantities of meat. mainly chicken, pork and locally caught fish.

Many  Thais still forage for food. I see them almost every day when I go for my countryside walk.

Even the much maligned 'sticky rice' has benefits. Firstly they have to work hard to produce it so it provides the protein that they need to do that work And they get plenty of natural exercise. There's no fatties in our village.

Sticky rice is also a rich source of zinc. Many will have observed that Covid 19 has hardly got a foothold in the rural communities of Thailand. Zinc is often mentioned as a vital ingredient in boosting the immune system. Is there a link there? Quite possibly.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stubby said:

It's not true, or maybe it is, but only in your corner of the Kingdom. Thais are exercising everywhere you look, and at all ages. The parks are chock full of early morning and late afternoon joggers. And almost every village has its aerobics classes going on of an evening. 

So why do they triple park on the road outside the food stall instead of driving another 50 or 60 m down the road to find a safe parking spot? ????

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Then come and study the diet of your average rural dwelling Thai. Much of what they eat is farm to plate. No processed foods and only small quantities of meat. mainly chicken, pork and locally caught fish.

Many  Thais still forage for food. I see them almost every day when I go for my countryside walk.

Even the much maligned 'sticky rice' has benefits. Firstly they have to work hard to produce it so it provides the protein that they need to do that work And they get plenty of natural exercise. There's no fatties in our village.

Sticky rice is also a rich source of zinc. Many will have observed that Covid 19 has hardly got a foothold in the rural communities of Thailand. Zinc is often mentioned as a vital ingredient in boosting the immune system. Is there a link there? Quite possibly.

It had to be said. This reality could even be expanded on. 

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, timendres said:

The US would declare a national holiday to have numbers so low...

Statistics are very important to the BHF. They represent the scale of the burden of heart and circulatory disease in the UK and the challenges we face.

Along with medical advances and lifestyle changes, the BHF’s pioneering research has helped to halve annual deaths from heart and circulatory diseases in the UK. However, these conditions still kill around one in four people in the UK. Below are some of our key statistics:

• Heart and circulatory diseases cause around a quarter of all deaths in the UK, that’s more than 160,000 deaths each year – an average of 460 deaths each day or one every three minutes in the UK.
  • There are around 7.6 million people living with a heart or circulatory disease in the UK: 4 million men and 3.6 million women.
    19 hours ago, timendres said:

As of 2018, 30.3 million U.S. adults were diagnosed with heart disease. Every year, about 647,000 Americans die from heart disease, making it the leading cause of death in the United States. Heart disease causes 1 out of every 4 deaths

Yeah compared to Thailand and the US, the UK seems pretty sick.  Percentage per population many more cases and deaths then the U.S. or Thailand.  The UK and Thailand have a similar population yet the UK has approx. 14 times the number of cases.  Very sad indeed.  

Edited by bkk6060

4 hours ago, sungod said:

So why do they triple park on the road outside the food stall instead of driving another 50 or 60 m down the road to find a safe parking spot? ????

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

On 9/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, spidermike007 said:

The prevalence of fried foods here is a big culprit. And even worse is the quality of the oil. When you eat fried foods with an oil that has a high flash point like sunflower, olive or rice bran (which is just a few baht per liter more than the junk oils like soybean, cottonseed, etc.), you improve your chances of avoiding serious disease. Of course this is possible at home. I have even spoken to my in-laws about spending an extra 10 baht a liter for rice bran oil, which tastes good, and is widely available. Not possible when eating out. 

20200923_kitakawa_pic1.jpg

I do not eat much fried food, but when I do, I have always used RICE Bran Oil, but it is a lot more expensive than other cooking oils, not just a few Baht.

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It had to be said. This reality could even be expanded on. 

Cheers.

"There's no fatties in our village." I find that very hard to believe, I see plenty of them everywhere I go, and I live in a small town/village up country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I do not eat much fried food, but when I do, I have always used RICE Bran Oil, but it is a lot more expensive than other cooking oils, not just a few Baht.

I find it for 56 baht per liter. Not much more than the highly toxic soybean oil. Some of the fancier labels charge more, but I do not see any difference in quality.

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I find it for 56 baht per liter. Not much more than the highly toxic soybean oil. Some of the fancier labels charge more, but I do not see any difference in quality.

Up here it is between 110 and 120 Bt per liter and it's the dearest cooking oil.

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The relevance being what exactly?

the relevance is that compared with the annual death rates from many other diseases

covid isnt the existential threat it has been made out to be

its just the one that is getting all the press currently

in 2018 over 44,000 thais died from the flu

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, timendres said:

The US would declare a national holiday to have numbers so low...

When I spoke with a Thai Dr here regarding HBP I was told I was lucky since I'm a farang.  My BP was 142 / 92 ... He said that would be high for Thai people, but just a little high for farang.

What BP is high for Thai people?  Why do farang and Thai have different "high" BP numbers?

2 hours ago, poskat said:

the relevance is that compared with the annual death rates from many other diseases

covid isnt the existential threat it has been made out to be

its just the one that is getting all the press currently

in 2018 over 44,000 thais died from the flu

And amen to that! I quite agree with you. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who thinks all this Covid hype is a load of BS!

Smoking ?

Bad diet with excess of oily fried food or sugar ?

Excess of booze ?

Drug abuse ?

Excessive consumption of sodas like Coke and Co ?

Exposure to pollution and no steps taken to reduce ?

All of the stated above are definately not friends to a good heart !!

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Smoking ?

Bad diet with excess of oily fried food or sugar ?

Excess of booze ?

Drug abuse ?

Excessive consumption of sodas like Coke and Co ?

Exposure to pollution and no steps taken to reduce ?

All of the stated above are definately not friends to a good heart !!

And certainly not an exclusive domain of Thailand. 

2 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

When I spoke with a Thai Dr here regarding HBP I was told I was lucky since I'm a farang.  My BP was 142 / 92 ... He said that would be high for Thai people, but just a little high for farang.

What BP is high for Thai people?  Why do farang and Thai have different "high" BP numbers?

You have high blood pressure. Readings of 140+ over 90+ means you have hypertension and are at high risk, but I guess you already know that. If it's persistently high, you should try to get it down quickly. 

Pre Conditions, Not Pre-existing

There are plenty of medical scams linked to these so-called preconditions, though. For example, your blood pressure is NOT high if you have a reading of 121-139/81-89. But they call this number range PRE-hypertension, and they like to dish out pills for it, usually for life… just in case. 

And the numbers keep changing as research evolves.

Soon, they will decide that the textbook perfect BP (120/80) is also high and flog billions of more pills. There are now pills for all non-life-threatening preconditions, and they never used to exist. Big Pharma creates them to sell more medicines to more people until they die.

But...

Is Your Medication Killing You?

Tens of thousands of people continue to die through the overprescription of drugs in the UK. There are more than one billion prescriptions dished out every year, often with severe consequences. It's true, and certain medications actually cause heart failure, but umm…. Shhhh!

Thailand seems to have a pill for everything, too, maybe even more than the UK. 

And god only knows what it's like in the US.

People often thank medicine for saving them. But how many ever link premature death to an overprescribed cocktail of unnecessary drugs?

Thais and Heart Disease

Thais are suffering from Cardiovascular disease (CVD) from the same causes as everyone else in the world. It's mainly down to poor diet. You know, treating the body as a dumping ground for rubber sausages and other such <deleted> that people can't get enough of. 

Stubby

27 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Of course not.

But I recall that the issue and the Title of the topic here is talking about hear problems in Thailand,  so....????

Indeed. But doesn't keep the usual overbearing contributors to use threads of this type to dominate and promote the ever popular and deluded ideals of a Farang superiority [in every which manner], does it?

Touche'

8 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Indeed. But doesn't keep the usual overbearing contributors to use threads of this type to dominate and promote the ever popular and deluded ideals of a Farang superiority [in every which manner], does it?

Touche'

Well I am not here to feed any needy ego and  thus do not wish to have the final point on any post or comment.

Sorry if you felt any thai bashing, as obviously it is not the case in the comments expressed.

On a friendly recommendation,  I perhaps would not hastily generalise posts with a unfortunate caracteristic,  that does exist to suggest various forms of superiority of one group over the other.

Have a nice evening.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, spidermike007 said:

The prevalence of fried foods here is a big culprit. And even worse is the quality of the oil. 

Nothing wrong with fried food, but the second part of your sentence is spot on. I eat fried and fatty foods most days, and you've seen more fat on a cold chip than my waistline. Indeed, the only times I've been chubby and sluggish is when I ate too many plant-based foods, aka fruits and veggies. Heck, look how fat the world has gotten on calorie-counting, low and no-fat meal plans. It clearly hasn't worked.  Thanks for nothing, Scamsel keys!

So, the the proof of the pudding, Dear Reader, is definitely in the eating, right. Alas, folks continue to fear fat, frying, and oily dishes.

Stubby

On 9/30/2021 at 7:42 AM, spidermike007 said:

Palm oil can be absolutely deadly for frying. Multiple sources for that. See below. Olive oil is amazing for frying. It is all about the flash point. Rice bran oil tastes good, and is cheap here. Both are very healthy choices. 

Research has shown that extra-virgin olive oil has a relatively high smoke point of 376°F (191°C), and is safe to use for most cooking methods, including frying.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266258

Rice Bran Oil is truly “The World’s Healthiest” edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free.  It [s not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more.  Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious.  Use it to fry, saute in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil.  Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting. Rice bran oil is vastly superior to traditional cooking oils and can be considered a nutraceutical (food as medicine) oil that is perfect for all your healthy cooking needs.  Rice Bran Oil is quickly becoming a favorite in commercial frying to replace hydrogenated oils that contain trans fat.  This is due to rice bran oils health, flavor and performance benefits.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/information/ricebranoil.htm

Although all palm oil is high in saturated fat, oxidized palm oil presents even greater health risks. The oxidization occurs during processing for culinary use, generating toxins that adversely affect the heart, liver, kidneys and lungs. Raw, unprocessed palm oil isn't associated with these effects when fresh; however, studies link a boost in atherosclerosis development in as little as six months when reheating palm oil to cook foods.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/palm-oil-health-hazards-7375.html

I concur

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Ditto the vaccine.

Fortunately the numbers are extremely small relative to Covid itself.... seeing those odds, choosing the vaccine for me was a no brainer.... no vaccine is a no brainer. 

Edited by jacko45k