Thai Court rejects dual pricing case from expat in Hua Hin

webfact

10 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Shame on you Thailand....

What a pathetic statement to make

Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand.

Not discriminatory as it benefits Thailand, says it all..........................:coffee1:

A funny way to entice or lure wealthy foreigners. There is a two-tiered justice system in this country. one for Thais, one for foreigners. Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

"The issues with the current covid-19 situation is that in many cases common sense seems to have been kneecapped in lieu of a people making ridiculous policies and requests without any in-depth critical thinking or true understanding of why, how or the consequences of such policies."

Not just Thailand. That applies to just about every country in the western world.

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Shame on you Thailand....

What a pathetic statement to make

Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand.

Not discriminatory as it benefits Thailand, says it all..........................:coffee1:

money money money greed   Thailand corrupt as foook 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As if there was ever going to be any other outcome... Thailand putting both feet in its mouth and highlighting its disregard for foreigners at an official level. 

Thailand’s handling of issues pertaining to foreigns is repeatedly clumsy and offensive.... I won’t go as far to suggest xenophobia and racism, but I understand those who think so. 

The message is clear - the presence of foreigners in Thailand is tolerated rather than welcomed. 

This has now set a president for any business owner in Thailand - Dual Charging is government sanctioned. 

It is news such as this which gives me pause to think - Is Thailand the correct place to live?

all farangs are just a dollar...pound ..we are no more welcome here than covid we are just a paycheck for the thais no more no less.. they just put up with us no other country in the civilized world would get away with it ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

did you think an outsider farang is going to come here and complain about our prices and get it changed  ??

get real ......   While me & you and many don't agree with it ,   it will never ever change because it's money.

I said thailand would never change because its money But at least he tried and is still trying  to change it instead of just letting it happen. Yes i agree it will not change but saving face is important in Thailand and if this news spreads and potential tourist get to hear and then go spend money in another country maybe just maybe when Thailand start to see the money going lower they will think again.

Shame on you Thailand 

48 minutes ago, roquefort said:

"The issues with the current covid-19 situation is that in many cases common sense seems to have been kneecapped in lieu of a people making ridiculous policies and requests without any in-depth critical thinking or true understanding of why, how or the consequences of such policies."

Not just Thailand. That applies to just about every country in the western world.

They will blame covid but this as been around much longer it was like this 25 years ago when I first came 

1 hour ago, Concerned observer said:

Vietnam, Laos or the Philippines here we come. Have you noticed how Thailand always milks any natural disaster like the current floods, the tsunami (Indonesia was far more affected but it was poor Thailand that played on the heartstrings and begged us all for money. Then when they were asked to account for it - x% had disappeared without trace). Or for Covid-19 vaccines (I have run out of memory of the donations that poor undeveloped Thailand has been receiving from developed responsible countries like China, the US, Japan, Switzerland, UK, France - the list goes on). But when it suits them it's Thais first, dual pricing, xenophobia and why should anyone in Thailand speak the international business language? Contemplating my future - but they just cannot see why people are favoring Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Puerto Rica, Colombia. It's always about Thailand!

100% agree 25 years here and it's getting much worse I've been looking at cebu and getting out of here

• Like 2

if they had ruled that it was discriminatory but that they dont  care then at least I could appreciate their honesty, (but not their greed). The article mentioned 4 different groupings for billing purposes, any idea who are in those other groups?

Edited by gim12
left out word
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

If you come here for cheap sex and spend most of your time on a barstool, you are correct.

I have always been made to feel very welcome by the Thais I meet. I think it makes a difference if you work here vs being a retiree. At that point, you are pretty much forced to integrate.

I've given speeches at at least 20 Thai weddings. Once, the other speech was given by a former deputy PM.

I've been 'guest of honor for the evening' at a number of Thai funerals. Odd thing to be asked to do.

I go to Thai people's houses, they come to mine.

I am always treated well.

There's a bunch of pubs and restaurants I frequent where I am made to feel truly welcome.

If you live in a tourist area like Pattaya, I get that there may be some bad feelings initially but people do put up witha lot of <deleted> there and there is often friction between tourists and locals all over the world, especially budget locations. I also find that even in Pattya, you just gotta be nice.

Those of you saying Thais hate us, do you really know that many? Do they consistently treat you poorly? It has not been my experience both with the rich,the poor and those in between. If I did, I would not be here.

Thai people are just like people anywhere else. There are obvious cultural differences but even that is part of the charm. You just have to understand and navigate it 

I agree with everything you write pedro, my experiences and opinions are extremely similar to yours on this matter (less wedding speeches though, but way too many weddings, fortunately less funerals). 

But, the face of Thailand, the welcome of Thai’s and general interaction with Thai’s generally one of mutual respect. However, this is somewhat contradictory to some of the official policies and underlying impression I get from officialdom - from not being able to own land, to not being able to get settled rights (as a person married to a Thai) to all this double charging fiasco, to the repeated scheming and announcements to secure more ‘wealthy visitors’ - the underlying message is somewhat offensive in that we are tolerated rather than encouraged to integrate.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, itsari said:

The court action from the man from the Netherlands concerning price for foreigners has now set a precedent.

Meaning all is ok to charge more for foreigners because it is good for the country . 

Sad decision 

And what do the foreign Consulates in Thailand do about it? Zilch!!

Turn a blind eye,in case they upset the Thai Government,instead of looking after the interests of their Citizens overseas.

A case of I am alright Jack,i am a Civil Servant,paid by and have all my medical expenses covered by my Countries' taxpayers.

Parasites.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I too as like you knew what the outcome was going to be.

To answer your question above, in my opinion it's all about ducking and weaving to obtain the benefits of living here, one way depending on one's age and financial situation is to be insured, problem solved, charge what you want.

I also understand not everyone can fit into the above, but in my case thus far, it eliminates one of the ugly sides of dual pricing.

I'm not sure how insurance will stop stop you worrying about the 10 fold increase for us at National Parks, and many of the other places that try it on including some restaurants.

How much is this insurance? I will do some math and work out if i should buy it.

Us  farangs  must  realize,  judges in Thailand, having paid  enormous  sums of money to obtain a degree in law, notwithstanding  they  would have great difficulty in spelling the word, or ever having attended any university  in the first place, but rather  had a "friend"  attend for them, or simply    passed a brown envelope under the table, to  obtain said degree,  then  must  follow the herd  and do what is expected to keep us  farangs in  our proper place, and apply "thainess" to every matter that comes before them. 

17 hours ago, itsari said:

The court action from the man from the Netherlands concerning price for foreigners has now set a precedent.

Meaning all is ok to charge more for foreigners because it is good for the country . 

Sad decision 

It is good for Acme car company to charge a foreigner double the price for a new car, BUTTTTTT,

it is not good for the foreigners pocket, his Thai wife and family whom he supports and contributes to the Thai economy .

But it's good for Acme we happy, but not good for Thai, because Thai need to buy rice because grandma sick need operation, you Kow Jai now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

And what do the foreign Consulates in Thailand do about it? Zilch!!

Turn a blind eye,in case they upset the Thai Government,instead of looking after the interests of their Citizens overseas.

A case of I am alright Jack,i am a Civil Servant,paid by and have all my medical expenses covered by my Countries' taxpayers.

Parasites.

A case of don't rock the boat by foreign Governments.