Thai Court rejects dual pricing case from expat in Hua Hin

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

According to press reports the court said that it did not see the dual pricing as discriminatory suggesting the higher rates charged to foreigners who could pay more were good for the nation.

Very dubious logic - it DAMAGES the nation's reputation, but the argument was that it was unconstitutional, not whether or not it was "good" for the nation. It also categorises foreigners into groups of those who "could" pay and those who "can't" - so make sure you categorise yourself before you go to hospital.

I had an Op on my shoulder in BPH 2019 even my insurance company questioned and suggest I check the price in ireland which the same

Only difference was timing and as it was painful I would have had to wait a year in ireland.

Expats have seen price inflation over the last 10 years, somethings i have found are are even cheaper back home.

The gouging of foreigners where most still work with salaries at a fraction of my countries the rewards are going to the rich TIT.

I always had med cover so it is not a big deal but seeing this blantant discrimation has left me with an even bigger chip on my shoulder.

According to press reports the court said that it did not see the dual pricing as discriminatory suggesting the higher rates charged to foreigners who could pay more were good for the nation.

Why is it presumed foreigners can pay more ?, so going by this statement foreigners who can't pay more, even though they are bad for the nation should NOT pay more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JWRC said:

A rather sweeping statement based on what? I did take a Thai to court and I did win with the magistrate actually saying to the defendant that he considered ripping off  foreigners bad press for Thailand. Incidentally I also had a Thai lawyer, who when it was all done and dusted issued me with an invoice for just over 7,000 thb, I was even more suprised at this than the win. So you see it's not all bad.

Same here - won $25,000 in Thai Labor Court.

These are the same people that come out with stuff like "if a westerner is in an accident with a Thai - it is automatically their fault".

Barstool facts.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Buse described this as unconstitutional in his suit.

Not only does he have no idea about Thai culture(look at the beard), he wrongly thinks that the Thai Constitution covers foreigners. While some countries' Constitutions give equal rights to foreigners, even illegals immigrants(in the case of the grand ole woke one), here doesn't, nor should it. 

Maybe another scruffy foreigner should sue the Thai government because they can't buy land(it's unconstitutional :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

Then every time a Thai national, especially a high roller, ambassador for example, books a table a restaurant, wherever, add on a surcharge because it's good for the host country.

This ????. If we actually had any representation in our countries we would have retaliatory and punitive taxes levied against Thais immediately. But of course that's not going to happen because that would be "against our values" or some such nonsense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wadman said:

For goods and services that are subsidized by taxes (public funds), it's logical and reasonable that Thais should pay less.  Foreigners (unless they are paying tax) should pay a higher price.  I don't see a problem with that.

For goods and services that are NOT publicly subsidized it should be the same price. 

We all pay tax one way or another,  on all that is involved in buying, owning vehicles, even insurance for car etc, condos, booze and cigarettes, interest from banks, building materials, house hold goods, power, fuel, the list goes on. every time I go to 7/11 i pay tax most of them speak good English but i pay the same as everybody else.

• Like 2

the court said that it did not see the dual pricing as discriminatory suggesting the higher rates charged to foreigners who could pay more were good for the nation

Good for the nation?????

In fact Dual Pricing generally is bad for the nation! It is bad for the reputation of the country, as it presents the Thais as greedy and completely insensible of the damage their attitude has on foreigners. It obviously also enhances the Thai xenophobia, as I experience occasionally even when talking to Thai "friends". Not only that several of them do not understand that the system is discriminating, they even are convinced that they are entitled to charge farangs extra. Probably the silliest, but for a Thai also "plausible" explanation I have heard is, that "we charge you because we can".

You are no Thai and you have enough money, therefore: SOM NAM NA !!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Even the Isle of Wight gives residents discounts on bus fares.

But you are arguing with people that take everything that happens here as a sign they are hated by Thai people, yet the only Thai people they appear to speak to are their Isaan girlfriend and the girl selling them booze in 7-11 or Big C if it's a 'big night out'.

It must be a bizarre life - living somewhere, isolating yourself from society and thinking they are out to get you. 

Amazing, ain't it?

Many can't even speak the language, so obviously can't assimilate, yet expect to  get equal rights. Wokeness hasn't come here yet, get over it. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

if not discriminatory what is it then? ........quite sure it will make some foreigners thinking twice before coming

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'm going to rename this to 'rule of dumb'.

Imagine sitting in your multi national companies HQ meticulously researching which country in South East Asia to locate your new 5000+ employee manufacturing facility - then you read something like this....

You don't really care because labour is cheap, reasonably skilled and tax breaks for companies investing in Thailand are pretty good. 

Your foreign managers will not care either, as they will have packages that include comprehensive health care and local cover as they will be paying social., plus loads of bars to enjoy the demimondaines and get away from the trouble and strife. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Apples and oranges, this is Thailand's problem, What they are saying is discrimination is ok if it is in Thailand's favor. Total BS, time to pack up the old kit bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, doublezero said:

In fact Dual Pricing generally is bad for the nation! It is bad for the reputation of the country, as it presents the Thais as greedy and completely insensible of the damage their attitude has on foreigners.

That's a great point. The judge took a foolish and shortsighted view based purely on raw Baht figures. Hopefully most business won't be stupid enough to actually implement these policies.

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Soon your Issan bargirl will ask for more cuz it's good for the country. Expect to pay 25% more if she is highly trained English speaker.....50 % if she understands German.

500% plus if she understands Indian!

• Thanks 1