Underarm deodorants in Thailand?

Fortean1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah for some reason they've decided men should have a musk\tree mold scent

Musk after the scent gland of the Musk Deer supposed to attract females. Don't know why you are not followed by deer, Baht usually works better.

• Haha 1

Body odor stink under arms etc is caused by bacteria, so a good alcohol based wash (I use 70% antibacterial)  under the arms kills the actual stinky BO smell. Anti-Perspirants stop the flow of sweat by blocking the pores, so not the healthiest but they keep under your arms dryish.

In this heat it is best to clean the body properly with soap and or an anti bacterial product or liquid. If you want to smell nice then choose a scent from anywhere. If you don't want sweat rings under the arms use the anti perspirant spray which will clog the pores of your skin.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Axe - 

A bit fruity, but it'll do. 

And a better value. 

Thank you and yes this is the brand of body (underarm) spray I always use, when I lived in Thailand and now in Cambodia.  There is a wide range of fragrances which are fresh, not overpowering and sickly. Readily available in two sizes at supermarkets.

AXE Body Spray Deodorant (10-Pack) - UntilGone.com

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

Every health food store outside of Thailand stocks 'Thai crystal deodorant'. These are milled from blocks of alum and are widely available here. Every Thai fresh market will have a shop stocking these rocks, called san som. No scent, no fragrance.

Your pits need to be clean first. Run some water on the san som & apply. Makes your skin too salty for bacteria to live. Works great!

• Like 1

I’ve switched to deodorant crystals a long time ago and never looked back. They do the job and they last forever, much longer than a roll-on. A roll-on usually lasts me less than a month whereas those crystals last for months. The brand is called Focal and it’s called Natural Deodorant Stick. I bought mine at Big C, but I’m sure Tesco, Boots and Co have either the same brand or their version of a deodorant crystal. It might look different now because that’s a stick from 2013 I still had laying around. I’m now living in Germany again and I buy much larger ones on Amazon (see second pic, the phone is a large smartphone)  that last me easily a year, if I don’t drop it that is. That’s also my piece of advice, if you decide to go down the crystal road, whatever you do, don’t drop the stick on a hard surface because it will break just like glass and whatever is left over will be edged sharp enough to actually scratch your armpits. ????

D55A229F-D7BB-47F0-BB0F-6FDC5BC8737E.jpeg

25605415-7AAE-48F4-820B-1E8A0E07B2CA.jpeg

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

In the UK I used Sure for years, used to bring stock on my visits home until Covid stopped those.  Couldn't get it here and tried a few others that I didn't like.  Then by accident found that, outside the UK, Sure is called Rexona.  Same thing, even same label, with a different name on it.  Happy now.

Oh, and I get it through Lazada, haven't seen it locally.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bwanajohn said:

The skin is the largest organ of the body and performs multiple functions to keep our bodies healthy and regulated. .Can you imagine spraying some chemical on your heart or liver to interfere with its function. Never understood the use of deodorant.

Philosophically I agree. However, some people sweat more than others and it becomes a problem for them.

In my opinion how your sweat smells has a lot to do with your diet. I've been vegetarian since my 20's.

It's worth noting that your skin does, as you say, serve vital functions. For one, it secretes chemical precursors onto the surface that are converted to Vitamin D on the skin when exposed to UV from sunlight. It's then reabsorbed. Soap used in excess damages this organ and removes all natural oils that keep the skin healthy. Shampoo daily is derogatory in the same way. There is such a thing as being too clean for your own good.

I know I'm opening myself up to derision from the peanut gallery here, but.....

The last time I used deodorants regularly was in high school. I don't like smearing mossie repellant on my legs, much less smearing chemicals on my body every day ritually.

That said, when going to the bank, immigration, etc. I shower well, dress well, and smear some Arm&Hammer baking soda dry stick deodorant in my pits. It's not that I think I smell bad, but if I use something that makes me smell 'fresh' it satisfies strangers. Most people have been conditioned to believe that humans should smell like flowers, fruit, mushrooms, etc. Anything except human. Like many social interactions, if your business is important it's better to satisfy their expectations for the short time you're around them.

I have an outside shower and use it frequently if I'm sweating from work. I'm very lucky to live surrounded by a pineapple plantation and it's a joy to strip down and shower nude, then jump in the pool. It's a saltwater pool so I also shower after swimming as well.

I shower at least once a day but I only use soap once a week or so, same for shampoo. Maybe coincidence that I'm 71, and have all my hair, but now seeing some gray around the edges. My three brothers in America all have gray and thinning hair.

My Thai lady sometimes sniffs my work clothes and abducts them for washing, but claims that I don't have a farang musk. She's the one I'm most interested in satisfying.

I've certainly met people of all nationalities that have body odor problems, despite being hygienic. They do what they have to do.

Luck of the draw maybe. To each his own, smell that is. ????

• Like 1

May not be the place to post this but deodorant has started to make my underarms itch. No sign of rash, just itch. When I stop using it, it stops. Haven't been able to find deodorant that advertises itself skin sensitive. I'm using powder and cologne which work most of the time.

20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I typically shower multiple times a day in Thailand.  Doesn't matter much when it's a sauna outside.

I also gave up on wearing solid color shirts, in favor of Songkran designs.  That way, the inevitable pit stains aren't as glaring.  

During the year of black shirts after the death of the beloved King, my shirts were always mostly gray at the end of the day from the salt encrustation.

"Anti-perspirant" was a waste of time.  I went for anti-funk.  The generic roll on stuff from Boots didn't stop me sweating.  Nothing did.  Not even prescription grade stuff called Drysol.  (Nasty stuff, and I don't recommend it unless you like itching all day)  But Boots generic roll-on did stop my pits from stinking, for a few hours at least.  Sorry I don't recall the brand name...

Edit:  And I would add that some of the guys who think they don't stink?  Bad news.  They do.  They just can't smell it since they carry it around with them.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I also gave up on wearing solid color shirts, in favor of Songkran designs.  That way, the inevitable pit stains aren't as glaring.  

During the year of black shirts after the death of the beloved King, my shirts were always mostly gray at the end of the day from the salt encrustation.

"Anti-perspirant" was a waste of time.  I went for anti-funk.  The generic roll on stuff from Boots didn't stop me sweating.  Nothing did.  Not even prescription grade stuff called Drysol.  (Nasty stuff, and I don't recommend it unless you like itching all day)  But Boots generic roll-on did stop my pits from stinking, for a few hours at least.  Sorry I don't recall the brand name...

Edit:  And I would add that some of the guys who think they don't stink?  Bad news.  They do.  They just can't smell it since they carry it around with them.

Vests AKA wife beaters are the way to go, much cooler than shirts, who cares if people might treat you differently wearing one. I have noticed if i wear one walking around Big C i get followed round by 100 undercover staff, if i wear a shirt no one